Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2008, 02:08 PM

3 posts, read 21,520 times

Advertisements

I moved here in March of 85' and I can tell you that over the past 10 years the driving here has become increasingly worse. BUT, it is worse now than ever. Good luck out there!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2008, 07:28 PM

82 posts, read 613,175 times
Every state/city has bad drivers, add 6 million people in and around the Dallas–Fort Worth Metroplex (9,286 sq. mi.
) and you will notice alot more of it. I thought Washington State had really bad drivers but it wasnt as common as the metroplex, Washington State (71,342 sq mi) has 6 million people living in the state so everyone is more spread out.

Old 08-02-2008, 10:34 PM

468 posts, read 1,879,884 times
I got my first driver's license here in Dallas over 40 years ago and driving in Dallas still scares me. I just slow down and don't let anybody rush me. It drives the other drivers nuts. (and my wife). I'm still alive ain't I? That wasn't you behind me the other day was it?

Old 08-13-2008, 09:32 PM

66 posts, read 381,674 times
Welcome to a big city. Driving in Dallas is bad. However,when I first moved to LA, I had to take a Valium in order to brave the drive on the 405 from Hermosa Beach to Hollywood. The only thing I had going for me was knowing that if the mountains were on my right and ocean on my left, I was going North.

Old 08-13-2008, 09:39 PM

1,383 posts, read 3,419,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittypawz11 View Post
Welcome to a big city. Driving in Dallas is bad. However,when I first moved to LA, I had to take a Valium in order to brave the drive on the 405 from Hermosa Beach to Hollywood. The only thing I had going for me was knowing that if the mountains were on my right and ocean on my left, I was going North.
Ya, I know what you are talking about. I used to live in LA as well, and did that drive a lot. The 405 can get crazy and it can be very intimidating to some people. You just have to get out there and go for it! Man, i miss the beaches there!

Also, I am trying to get more Reputation points and I would really appreciate if you would give me some points by rating my posts. Thanks!

Old 08-13-2008, 10:05 PM

1,365 posts, read 2,597,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longhornfan22 View Post
Ya, I know what you are talking about. I used to live in LA as well, and did that drive a lot. The 405 can get crazy and it can be very intimidating to some people. You just have to get out there and go for it! Man, i miss the beaches there!

Also, I am trying to get more Reputation points and I would really appreciate if you would give me some points by rating my posts. Thanks!
I remember visiting LA and getting in my rental car and get on the 405. I fit in just fine. LA drivers drive fast but there's a difference between how they drive and how we drive here. They drive with control. No one takes offense when they feel they've been cut off, it just comes with the territory and they go about their business. I loved driving there!

Old 08-15-2008, 02:47 AM

300 posts, read 1,207,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyrae2998 View Post
We just recently moved to Dallas from DC in Nov. and let me tell you, my heart just about jumps out of my chest every time I get on the highway. The driving here is not the best. People cut across for lanes to get off on an exit, they do not use signals, drive over aggressively, and I see an accident everyday. We were thinking our car insurance would go down moving from DC to dallas, WRONG, it actually went up because of the high number of accidents.

I personally think that if there was an aggressive driver program, meaning high fines for cutting people off and weaving in and out of traffic and tailgating, the number of accidents would dramatically decrease.
I'm not so sure that the biggest contributor to insurance rates in Dallas is the number of accidents. If you live in Collin County your rate is a lot lower than in Dallas County despite many people making the commute every day from Collin County to Dallas County.

When I got a policy in Dallas, my agent told me the biggest factor in making Dallas country auto insurance high is actually the number of uninsured drivers. At the time (~10 years ago) it was about 1 in 4 drivers that had no insurance.

After living in Houston 8 years, and Dallas for 11, then moving this year to Seattle, let me tell you... Seattle drivers are WAY worse than anything you'll find in Dallas.

They sit at green lights for the full cycle of the light. They get confused at four-way stops as to whose turn it is. They go 30 on a perfectly good road with a speed limit of 40 on a clear, sunny day. Watching people try to merge here is like watching a vehicular game of musical chairs. Everyone is so overly polite that they actually make things really dangerous.

It's gotten so bad here that the police are now issuing tickets to people who are simply driving slower than the pace of traffic in left lanes, even if they're passing or otherwise not doing anything.

Give it time and newcomers will develop the extra-sensory-driving skills needed to survive in Dallas (i.e. you don't know why that guy is going to cut you off with no signal, but he's going to). Just stay with the flow and whatever you do, DO NOT go the speed limit down the Dallas North Tollway. You will get killed doing that (eventually).

Old 08-15-2008, 03:12 AM

464 posts, read 1,355,460 times
I recommend you guys to take drivers ed or a similar course. It teaches you to be an defensive rather than a scared/surprised/angry driver...

I lived in small town once and people drove just as recklessly as drunks out of south beach..

Remember; its not people that drive crazy; its that one idiot whose getting 10 mpg in his 18 wheeler ford pickup whose driving crazy.

On a happier note...if you think the drivers here are insane...please read the b*tching in the Miami forums...(Psss...watch out; im one of those bad Miami drivers LOL) **j.k.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas