Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2019, 09:02 AM

3,678 posts, read 4,171,571 times

Advertisements

It’s an study about discrimination or bias practiced by realtors against people of color. Is this an issue here in DFW as well?

https://projects.newsday.com/long-is...investigation/

Old 11-19-2019, 09:22 AM

1,315 posts, read 1,155,995 times
Absolutely it is - it's an issue everywhere. Much of it is self-generated (meaning the buyers are trying to find/create ethnic enclaves), but there's some real prejudice alive everywhere.

Old 11-19-2019, 10:07 AM

617 posts, read 1,041,392 times
It's an issue everywhere in this country.

Most people want to live amongst communities of similar people who share their customs, traditions, and values. Yet, acknowledging or acting on that fact is illegal. Therefore, there is no end in sight to the endless lying, hypocrisy and doublethink.

Old 11-19-2019, 10:26 AM

2,916 posts, read 2,998,507 times
I think a major issue is that realtors make broad assumptions about people, regardless of color. They'll assume a white person wants to live in a community that's 98% white when that may or may not be the case. I've met a decent number that seem to prefer neighborhoods with more Asian/African immigrants and fewer whites because they think their kids will face more rigorous academic competition and be better prepared for college.

None of this should be all that shocking. Historically, southern blacks and whites lived in much closer proximity than northern blacks and whites. A lot of transplants have been moving south over the past couple of decades and they often bring their own prejudices with them.

Old 11-19-2019, 10:50 AM

2,995 posts, read 3,099,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgn2013 View Post
None of this should be all that shocking. Historically, southern blacks and whites lived in much closer proximity than northern blacks and whites. A lot of transplants have been moving south over the past couple of decades and they often bring their own prejudices with them.
Exactly. I tell people all that the time that black people and white people in the South are USED to living together in close proximity, so the worst racism is actually in places up North and out West that may be more diverse but also still manage to be much more segregated.

DFW has definitely gotten like that, with all the transplants flooding in from Northern states and both coasts, as well as India/South Asia and other foreign countries

That's why I always caution people not to jump to the conclusion that DFW is magically becoming more socially liberal due to the huge influx of Californians and people from other places outside of Texas and the South. It's actually quite the opposite.

Old 11-19-2019, 11:03 AM

3,678 posts, read 4,171,571 times
Imho developers and builders can use realtors to their advantage with incentives and commissions. I often hear from newcomers that their realtors pushed them towards certain areas and subdivisions and discouraged looking at some other areas which they later find out to be more suitable for them. However, I don’t see why any realtors would push people to certain areas based on their race, it’s not like there is any financial incentive there.

Old 11-19-2019, 11:25 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,269,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnfairPark View Post
Imho developers and builders can use realtors to their advantage with incentives and commissions. I often hear from newcomers that their realtors pushed them towards certain areas and subdivisions and discouraged looking at some other areas which they later find out to be more suitable for them. However, I don’t see why any realtors would push people to certain areas based on their race, it’s not like there is any financial incentive there.
We told our realtor what houses we wanted to see. He never asked why; he just showed up at the appointments and let us in. That's possibly because we're white, tho.

If you let a realtor push you towards something instead of doing your own research, then you're foolish. Or gullible.

Old 11-19-2019, 12:18 PM

516 posts, read 450,330 times
It definitely is prevalent here in DFW. I've noticed people will make assumptions about schools when they haven't done any research. They see an area that is primarily a certain race and assume the schools are good or bad. There have been assumptions made where an area is assumed to be going downhill or is "ghetto" if a certain race is the majority or are moving in.

Old 11-19-2019, 04:06 PM

379 posts, read 367,205 times
When I first moved to DFW I was seriously considering buying new infill construction as my first home. But there was a problem because the driveway needed a curb cut, and it was suggested that I call the city code compliance to see if I could get it cut. I did, and the code inspector very shyly and circumspectly told me that maybe I should look to buy elsewhere. It was a great home and barely in my price range, but it was surrounded by Spanish language businesses and borderline rundown apartments. Obviously it was over the phone so he didn't know my race, but I'm sure he could tell that I was probably white. I work in government so I knew that was illegal, but I think he saved me a lot of headache. That area still looks rundown, despite the many years of "plans" to fix it up, and the home I almost bought looks worse for wear. I think he was acting more out of concern about crime than race.

My realtor, who was also my friend, never once steered me away from that area, BTW.

Old 11-19-2019, 10:38 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,066,596 times
I would like to know if that Newsday study only investigated White realtors, or if they examined practices of realtors of many ethnicities and races all over Long Island.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas