Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2019, 07:55 AM

11 posts, read 8,726 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by numbersguy100 View Post
I would look into Kessler Park, in addition to what people listed above. Super close to both jobs. Public elementary is potentially something you can use. If not, the Kessler School is a pretty good private school option with an amazing community feel to it (seriously if you go there you’ll feel like you live in a beautiful enclave of a huge city where you know so many people) but it ends at 8th.

If you use the N Dallas private schools, you probably want to live near them. Maybe affordable parts of Preston Hollow or Midway Hollow. You won’t want to drive all the way north to drop the kids then commute back south. I also love E Dallas and it checks a lot of your boxes. But if you aren’t willing to use the public middle and high schools, you’re definitely a hike from most of your other options. To be clear, the same is true of Kessler/Oak Cliff, which is where I live. But you can get away with local schools until high school at which point kids are getting close to Sri driving age.
Numbersguy100 Thank you - Kessler Park sounds like a great area - any particular spots there to look, and how are the areas that border Kessler Park?

It sounds like anywhere but N. Dallas and Park Cities results in a challenge to solve for High School, which is a ways away, and you mentioned the driving age, so maybe that's a problem for another decade.

Two other questions for you or anyone with ideas please!

1. Are there other reasons to be close/in N. Dallas besides private schools? Any other amenities we'd be missing by living in KP or other areas? The only thing I can think of is maybe a good place to play tennis - I should probably ask this separately or do other research but in case anybody knows of good places to play that would be great! We both played competitively and would like to continue and also teach our kids to play.

2. I'm assuming all of these areas are fairly safe - is that a fair assumption or are there some that are thought of as safer options? We want to be able to walk around at night but have also lived in various cities and understand that some amount of non-violent crime is generally present most places.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2019, 08:21 AM

1,429 posts, read 1,776,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmawr View Post
Thank you NTXPerson! Is it competitive to get into the public schools you mentioned because it's a lottery and down to chance or it's an application like a private school? Do you have any sense of the odds of admission? Thank you for the location ideas!
Dealey is a “magnet” school with entry points at preK and 1st. Outside that, you won’t get in without a sibling connection. Even at the entry years, they will give current siblings preference over more talented kids, so your chances are very low without that connection. The sibling rule also waters it down so it isn’t really even a magnet school at all.

Travis is similar in that siblings get a boost. The entry years there are 4th and 6th. Admissions there is also highly competitive.

Old 12-05-2019, 08:42 AM

1,429 posts, read 1,776,123 times
Quote:
Numbersguy100 Thank you - Kessler Park sounds like a great area - any particular spots there to look, and how are the areas that border Kessler Park?

It sounds like anywhere but N. Dallas and Park Cities results in a challenge to solve for High School, which is a ways away, and you mentioned the driving age, so maybe that's a problem for another decade.

Two other questions for you or anyone with ideas please!

1. Are there other reasons to be close/in N. Dallas besides private schools? Any other amenities we'd be missing by living in KP or other areas? The only thing I can think of is maybe a good place to play tennis - I should probably ask this separately or do other research but in case anybody knows of good places to play that would be great! We both played competitively and would like to continue and also teach our kids to play.

2. I'm assuming all of these areas are fairly safe - is that a fair assumption or are there some that are thought of as safer options? We want to be able to walk around at night but have also lived in various cities and understand that some amount of non-violent crime is generally present most places.
I like different parts of Kessler for different reasons, although I actually live in a historic district just south of Kessler because I like the architecture and historic protections (no tear downs) it affords. E Kessler has amazing topography, great lots that are typically larger, and has a jogging trail that is great for biking w/ kids, running, walking the dog. It actually extends beyond E Kessler and past some great tennis courts where we take the kids to play every so often. The parts of Kessler that are west of Sylvan Ave are more "neighborhoody" only in that the architecture is a bit more unified and the houses have a more structured cadence to them. But you can still find big lots and big homes over there. That side of Sylvan still has fairly easy access to the run/bike trail I mentioned. Beware of any new housing development that calls itself “Kessler ________” and features only newly built homes. Those homes for the most part aren’t in what would actually be considered Kessler Park but the developers want to use the branding to capture a high price point. Most of those developments are large homes built on small lots, so probably not a good fit for you regardless.

10 years ago the question about areas around it was potentially relevant. But as Kessler has increased in price, most of the adjacent areas have as well, and honestly, there's enough "buffer" on all sides of Kessler that from a practical perspective, you might as well live in a different part of the city from the parts of Oak Cliff that have serious crime problems. We live in a much more questionable section of Oak Cliff than Kessler (seriously, it's still very nice, just saying) and my wife walks home on nice nights if she goes out w/ friends to the bars/restaurants that are walking distance. A lot of this depends on personal preference though. I know people in suburban gated communities who think if you leave your garage open for 15 minutes, your stuff is getting taken.

As for the question of living in N Dallas in the private school corridor? It makes sense for people who want to be closer in but work north in places like Plano, Richardson, Frisco. It also makes sense for people who want to live closer in and send kids to private school but have a lower budget than you do (those people often end up living pretty far west). If I worked in Dallas at or north of 635 I'd probably move to somewhere like Bluffview, Devonshire, or Briarwood. If for some reason I took a job in Plano or Frisco, I'd consider north of Northwest Highway. I just prefer living somewhere where I have the option to walk to a few neighborhood retails and restaurants/bars (Bluffview isn't really that walkable but it's gorgeous).

Old 12-05-2019, 09:07 AM

1,041 posts, read 1,190,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by numbersguy100 View Post
Dealey is a “magnet” school with entry points at preK and 1st. Outside that, you won’t get in without a sibling connection. Even at the entry years, they will give current siblings preference over more talented kids, so your chances are very low without that connection. The sibling rule also waters it down so it isn’t really even a magnet school at all.

Travis is similar in that siblings get a boost. The entry years there are 4th and 6th. Admissions there is also highly competitive.

In my experience most of the siblings get in at the entry points. I personally know 2 kids that got in at non-entry point years who were not siblings. 7th is also an entry point.

Regarding "talented kids" it is absurd to think that you are identifying "talent" at the age of 3. (A kid could be 3.5 years old at the testing for PK4).

Old 12-05-2019, 09:40 AM

11 posts, read 8,726 times
Thank you numbersguy100 - that's so helpful!

It sounds like a lot of areas might fit the bill with a combination of commute times and school options. I'm trying to get a feel for the neighborhoods mentioned, to compare and contrast - I know it's still a lot of options and I'll have to spend time there, but any thoughts or resources are helpful! Any thoughts on highlights/lowlights and similarities/differences between these?
-Lakewood
-M Streets
^^seem to run into many other small neighborhoods?
-Kessler Park
-Bluffview
Devonshire
Briarwood
-Preston Hollow
-Midway Hollow
-75220/75229 (is this Midway Hollow? maybe a little further west?)

Thank you!!

Old 12-05-2019, 09:53 AM

8,144 posts, read 8,340,217 times
Just another idea... you have many choices

We lived in both Las Colinas (zips 75039, 75038) and M Streets, Dallas and it was an easier drive to Medical Center Drive (much faster!) from Las Colinas; about 20 min. For our downtown drive, from kitchen table to desk in east side of downtown (reserved parking in building) was under 30 min. The drive from M Streets to downtown was about the same, it was shorter in distance but traffic around M Streets is cra-cra!

You could probably find a lovely home in Las Colinas in a gated community for sub-$800K but would want private schools. Exception, La Villeta area is served by a highly rated elementary school but way below your budget.

Old 12-05-2019, 10:14 AM

1,041 posts, read 1,190,788 times
To compare Lakewood and the M Streets you can really just drive through to look. Try doing street view on Google Maps. Look at McCommas boulevard between US75 and Greenville and Lakewood Boulevard.

Basically Lakewood:
Larger lots. At your budget 0.5 acre may be possible.

Closer to White Rock Lake
Farther from US 75
Less walkable - Lakewood shopping center is about it.

Portions have a completely suburban feel.

M Streets:
Smaller lots - 7500 sq ft. Some 1.5x or 2x lots in Vickery Place and in Lakewood Heights.

More walkable. Greenville Avenue, Henderson Avenue.
Portions have a very urban feel.

I'm using the definitions of Lakewood = area bordered by Abrams/gaston/white rock lake and Mockingbird.
M-Streets = Area bordered by Mockingbird / US75 / Abrams / Henderson + whatever.

These are liberal definitions :-)

Old 12-05-2019, 12:35 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,285,464 times
Quote:
Thank you NTXPerson! Is it competitive to get into the public schools you mentioned because it's a lottery and down to chance or it's an application like a private school? Do you have any sense of the odds of admission? Thank you for the location ideas!
Dealey is a PK-8 magnet Montessori. The school is located in North Dallas but serves the entire DISD so there are geographical quotas. And siblings get priority.

Let’s say there are 32 PK openings- 8 for North, South, East & West Dallas. You live in North Dallas. There are 12 siblings applying for Pk that year. Your chance is 0%. Even if your kid scores higher than the other siblings. Let’s say there are 5 siblings applying. Your kid is now competing with 50 other North kids for the other 3 spots.

Dealey is fabulous but even for the brightest kids, it’s a total crapshoot compared to many of the private schools.

Old 12-05-2019, 12:37 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,285,464 times
Quote:
Turtle Creek 80 This is very helpful, thank you! Lakewood sounds awesome and I know I'd love being near the Lake and the Arboretum. Thank you also for the helpful color on Park Cities. Seems like it would be tough, we definitely would like detached and pretty close to move-in ready.
For the area you mentioned 75220 or 75229 - what is the story with this area? Is there a sense of community feel/do neighbors know each other? Seems like if everybody goes do different private schools that might be difficult - and then the local public schools seem more challenged - I'm just wondering about the vibe of this neighborhood/area.
It’s definitely less “neighborhoody” than Lakewood or the Park Cities, though a few specific neighborhoods are awesome. Sparkman Club is the one that really comes to mind as having a great sense of community and lots of fun events throughout the year. Halloween is huge!

Old 12-05-2019, 01:29 PM

625 posts, read 666,373 times
M Streets are very close to Lakewood Proper. People in both neighborhoods go to the same restaurants, parks, sport teams, etc. M Streets are typically smaller (but not always) and many are remodeled old homes (but new builds abound as well). It is more walkable than most areas of Lakewood. M Streets feed into Mockingbird Elementary (very nice) and Geneva Heights (smaller, up in coming).

Lakewood is lovely - all home types and ages. Very good elementary (Lakewood). Nice trees. Some areas are more walkable than others.

There are also Historic nearby neighborhoods to Lakewood/M Streets such as Swiss Avenue, Hollywood Heights, Munger Place (where i live), and Junius Heights. Most (but not all) are remodeled homes with a very neighborhood feel. (My neighborhood has weekly porch parties and gettogethers for all holidays). We had done private school up until this year and now have both kids in a DISD talented and gifted 4-8 magnet school that we love. I work downtown and my commute is 15 mins.

Other nice neighborhoods are Kessler Park (I'm partial to neighborhoods with big trees), Bluffview (my kid's school is there and it is gorgeous and parts are walkabout to stores/restaurants on Lovers Lane, Preston Hollow, and North Dallas areas near Dealey (lottery admission) or Whithers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas