Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2019, 10:37 AM

9,546 posts, read 7,069,239 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GigiTer View Post
I miss my white kitchen! LOL! Our previous house built in ‘95 had the all white kitchen cabinets. After several years we replaced the square tile backsplash with white subway and updated counters to a blackish granite. This past spring before we sold it, we spiffed up the cabinets with a coat of white paint, replaced tile with a grayish subway tile to match the newly painted house in “agreeable gray”, the neutral on-point color of the year we were told! Lol! Had all hardwood floors and house sold in a day with multiple offers! We didn’t see many white kitchens here when looking and bought a newer house with solid darker wood cabinets. It’s not as cheery and bright to me. Looking at paint colors to help brighten the kitchen up. Hoping that helps...
The main reason we bought this particular home we now are in is because of the kitchen; they had just redone it with white cabinets and quartz counters. And they had put in brand new hardwood floors everywhere!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2019, 11:07 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,277,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOverdog View Post
Yes, you certainly do, even if they aren't featured in magazines. However the 4" squares basically require straight grout lines which subway do not, so the installation is more difficult, hence why subways are more popular.
I've walked this earth for over 40 years and I have seen my fair share of backsplashes. I can honestly say that I did not see many subway tile backsplashes anywhere (Europe or the US) until about 12 years ago.

I used to see lots of bathrooms & kitchens tiled with 4-inch square tile. Now they look hopelessly out of date. I can't remember the last time I saw them in either a new build or a renovated kitchen/bathroom.

Old 12-06-2019, 12:35 PM

3,754 posts, read 4,238,095 times
White kitchens are still very popular. Quartz is the hot counter surface right now, but I don't think granite is ever going to go away, it's too versatile, easy to clean, and the choices of color mean just about everyone can find a type they like.

Old 12-06-2019, 12:52 PM

436 posts, read 579,107 times
I have had many white kitchens, white kitchens have always been my favorite kitchens. I have never had a single issue with cleanliness or fingerprints, I guess it depends on the surface/type of paint.

About 20 years ago I went to a friend's house and she had every single cabinet door in the house out in the garage painting them from dark wood to white. She and her husband had custom built the home many years before. I asked her what are you doing, she told me the older she got the more she liked white because of how her eyes refract light. She said it just made everything easier to see, clean, judge distance and so on.

I really didn't understand what she meant until about a decade ago. Now I understand, my preference is white cabinets, wood floors on the light to medium color, granite or quartz and tile on the lighter side. You can do a white kitchen without it being stark white.

Do not get me started on the color gray, it is not neutral folks! Can the gray trend just be over now?

Old 12-06-2019, 12:55 PM

4,229 posts, read 6,905,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katana49 View Post
White kitchens are still very popular. Quartz is the hot counter surface right now, but I don't think granite is ever going to go away, it's too versatile, easy to clean, and the choices of color mean just about everyone can find a type they like.
For sure. I think the same can be said about a lot of quartz though at this point.

I feel like I see a lot of people saying quartz is so trendy or it is having its moment, but people have been saying that for 15 years I feel like.

I remember some friend's parents putting quartz in their remodel when I was in college (2004ish?) and seeing it in my Architectural magazines quite a lot. When I bought my first house in 2009, my plan was to replace the green and yellow laminate with quartz. We're heading into 2020 and I still love quartz and am very happy with it in our newly renovated kitchen. And that is just my experience going back over 15 years (before that, I was in HS and not paying much attention to home finishing materials).

Old 12-06-2019, 01:51 PM

446 posts, read 845,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedTexanTea View Post
Do not get me started on the color gray, it is not neutral folks! Can the gray trend just be over now?
2 homes now where I have opted for gray walls and I love it. I find it to be the perfect neutral (technically, it is a neutral as it's a color composed of black and white). Curious what you prefer as a neutral for walls besides white.

I personally can't stand beige walls -- I get that some homes want that "warmth" but all that jumps out to me are the yellowish undertones.

Old 12-06-2019, 02:58 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,069,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedTexanTea View Post
I have had many white kitchens, white kitchens have always been my favorite kitchens. I have never had a single issue with cleanliness or fingerprints, I guess it depends on the surface/type of paint.

About 20 years ago I went to a friend's house and she had every single cabinet door in the house out in the garage painting them from dark wood to white. She and her husband had custom built the home many years before. I asked her what are you doing, she told me the older she got the more she liked white because of how her eyes refract light. She said it just made everything easier to see, clean, judge distance and so on.

I really didn't understand what she meant until about a decade ago. Now I understand, my preference is white cabinets, wood floors on the light to medium color, granite or quartz and tile on the lighter side. You can do a white kitchen without it being stark white.

How is gray not neutral?

Agree with you about the white kitchens.

Old 12-06-2019, 04:28 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,854,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnfairPark View Post
House flippers are the ones who killed it, every cheaply flipped property is getting a white kitchen.
Not house flippers
But the Euro look has come in
Naturals
Everything is a cycle or they couldn’t convince people to remodel

Old 12-06-2019, 06:45 PM

1,530 posts, read 1,411,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katana49 View Post
Marble countertops leave stain. We have Quartz but not sure how well it may tolerate heat. Granite from what I know still tolerates heat the best because of its natural consistency.

Old 12-06-2019, 10:16 PM

1,429 posts, read 1,777,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I've walked this earth for over 40 years and I have seen my fair share of backsplashes. I can honestly say that I did not see many subway tile backsplashes anywhere (Europe or the US) until about 12 years ago.

I used to see lots of bathrooms & kitchens tiled with 4-inch square tile. Now they look hopelessly out of date. I can't remember the last time I saw them in either a new build or a renovated kitchen/bathroom.

Seriously, google this - your opinion based on anecdotal evidence means nothing. Look at actual pictures of actual homes decorated from 1900-1920. Subway tile was incredibly popular in kitchens and bathrooms in that time period. And while they've fluctuated in trendiness, they've never actually gone out of style, especially in period homes where they are appropriate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: