U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2019, 12:27 PM

2,506 posts, read 1,284,851 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ312 View Post
Tech jobs have a downside. They turn metro areas into even bigger sausage tests than they already are. For instance, the male-female ratio in San Jose is nearly as bad as Shanghai.
That's more of a West Coast thing in general. The East Coast has plenty of tech cities but the ratio is the opposite because the EC has more females than males. The South is more 50/50.
Rate this post positively

Old 12-20-2019, 12:39 PM

6,362 posts, read 2,592,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
You're right about support jobs going overseas, that's happening all over the US. My husband worked as a network security analyst for a large company in Nevada. During the last 5 years before he retired about 90% of the staff was fired and network administration was outsourced to India. He kept his job because he did more than reboot servers but there were a lot of people laid off during that time who were unable to find work in their field anywhere.
Yup. It nearly happened to me in Atlanta. overnight and without warning. Literally EVERYTHING was normal the day before business as usual do our processes, go home... ...next morning, like 10 members of my team were gone and me and 2 other guys were left and the boss called us in for a meeting. 'We have some unfortunate news. Our role has been offshored to India' They didn't tell us what happen to those 10 employees but it didn't take rocket science to figure that out. They paid them a $20k package and sent them packing.

I'm in IT and ... the support roles are just utter hell to say the least. Constant threat of losing your job, constant pressure for metrics by your boss, constant competition between your employees and yourself for 'imaginary' promotions. Just plainly a grind but hey when you get out of work you can flash that ID badge of either Dell, IBM, AT&T, Google, you name it...and pretend like you're really important haha...

I've moved into less of a support role that can't easily be offshored thankfully.

Old 12-20-2019, 12:42 PM

5,258 posts, read 3,102,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DabOnEm View Post
That's more of a West Coast thing in general. The East Coast has plenty of tech cities but the ratio is the opposite because the EC has more females than males. The South is more 50/50.
You are correct that the West Coast is the worst about ratios. However, even on the East Coast & in the South, single men outnumber single women in the 20s/30s age cohort. Dallas is already a sausage fest in the younger age groups. More tech jobs would make those ratios worse.

Old 12-20-2019, 01:48 PM

4,116 posts, read 1,596,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd433 View Post
Atlanta is quite a ways ahead of Dallas as far as Tech goes.
Based on?

Old 12-20-2019, 05:10 PM

4,706 posts, read 6,020,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
Based on?
Based on his hopes....He's secretly envious of Dallas....well.....not really secretly.

Old 12-20-2019, 08:25 PM

10,809 posts, read 10,968,971 times
Quote:
Based on?
Yea. That guy's claim is a full dose of vaporware.

Old 12-20-2019, 08:50 PM

2,908 posts, read 4,595,280 times
Quote:
Based on?
Not sure Atlanta is “quite a ways ahead” of Dallas, but having Georgia Tech and it’s collaboration with Midtown Atlanta’s Tech Square in addition to Tech Village Buckhead and Georgia State University a few miles away certainly gives it an edge.

Last edited by First24; 12-20-2019 at 09:04 PM..

Old 12-20-2019, 09:11 PM

37,927 posts, read 17,750,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbather View Post
Depending on the size, even 100 is a lot.

Once construction is done, I'd be surprised if G has more than 25 full time employees on each campus. Most of them will be maintenance crew, security guards, and janitors on contract. Plus the small team of Operations that are direct hire google technicians and site engineers. The rest will be in their larger corporate offices in the data center divisions. Same for people like FB.
The Reno Apple Data center is 1.2 million square feet Google is also building a data center there too on a 1210 acre parcel of land they bought https://www.rgj.com/story/money/busi...rt/1871965001/

Old 12-22-2019, 07:40 AM

2,427 posts, read 2,963,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
Yup. It nearly happened to me in Atlanta. overnight and without warning. Literally EVERYTHING was normal the day before business as usual do our processes, go home... ...next morning, like 10 members of my team were gone and me and 2 other guys were left and the boss called us in for a meeting. 'We have some unfortunate news. Our role has been offshored to India' They didn't tell us what happen to those 10 employees but it didn't take rocket science to figure that out. They paid them a $20k package and sent them packing.

I'm in IT and ... the support roles are just utter hell to say the least. Constant threat of losing your job, constant pressure for metrics by your boss, constant competition between your employees and yourself for 'imaginary' promotions. Just plainly a grind but hey when you get out of work you can flash that ID badge of either Dell, IBM, AT&T, Google, you name it...and pretend like you're really important haha...

I've moved into less of a support role that can't easily be offshored thankfully.
I met a guy at church a couple of years ago. We got to talking and after some initial hesitation, he finally told me what he does for a living. He works for an “outsourcing consulting firm”. They help companies move either a portion, or their entire operations to India. And business has been booming for his company for several years now. He flies out to India several times a year to coordinate everything. I have to say, I had mixed feelings listening to him as I had to watch an uncle lose his job and ultimately his career when the company he worked for outsourced his job to India after making him train his Indian replacement first.

The consultant guy said he’s learnt not to reveal his job after some unpleasant reactions from people in the past. Like Chris Rock used to say; “I’m not saying I would do that, but I understand.”

Old 12-22-2019, 08:59 AM

514 posts, read 212,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biafra4life View Post
I met a guy at church a couple of years ago. We got to talking and after some initial hesitation, he finally told me what he does for a living. He works for an “outsourcing consulting firm”. They help companies move either a portion, or their entire operations to India. And business has been booming for his company for several years now. He flies out to India several times a year to coordinate everything. I have to say, I had mixed feelings listening to him as I had to watch an uncle lose his job and ultimately his career when the company he worked for outsourced his job to India after making him train his Indian replacement first.

The consultant guy said he’s learnt not to reveal his job after some unpleasant reactions from people in the past. Like Chris Rock used to say; “I’m not saying I would do that, but I understand.”
I had a boss who used to say “if you can work from home then your job can be moved offshore!”

You do the math...average tech wage in India is less than $20K USD. But it’s not just India...it’s Mexico, Costa Rica, Poland, Bulgaria, China...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas