Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2020, 11:31 AM

20 posts, read 14,577 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. I would love to get your opinions about which Dallas or near-Dallas schools have the best teachers. In other words, not what is the best school with the best test scores, but which school consistently has the best teachers? The school my kids attend now is hit or miss. The kindergarten teacher is a total PRO with decades of experience, but the first grade teacher is newly-minted, inexperienced, and easily frustrated with the kids. The second grade teacher is good and experienced, but then the 5th grade teacher is not so great. I'm interested in grades 2-8. My husband flies out of Love Field frequently for work, so we can't be in very far suburbs. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2020, 12:18 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,315,790 times
St. Mark's, Hockaday, Greenhill, Cistercian, Jesuit, Ursuline, Bishop Lynch, ESD.

Old 01-08-2020, 02:57 PM

20 posts, read 14,577 times
Any public or charter schools with great teachers? I attended Hamilton Park as a kid and we had some really great teachers, but I don't know what it's like now.

Old 01-08-2020, 03:19 PM

565 posts, read 558,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallasite2 View Post
I'm interested in grades 2-8. My husband flies out of Love Field frequently for work, so we can't be in very far suburbs. Thanks!
Here's just 3 options that popped up in my head in relation to love field

1. Western Valley ranch. Would feed into Valley Ranch elementary and eventually to Coppell highschool which are both top 3% in the nation. 20-35 minute drive to love field depending on traffic

2. Far North Dallas. The brentfield elementary to parkhill junior high or bowie elementary to parkhill junior high feeder is top level. Once again 20-30 minute drive depending on traffic

3. North portion of park cities which feeds into Hyder elementary. This one will be a tough one on price and availablility (finding a non-tear down is tricky + it will still cost at least 700k). Public school wise in relation to love field this one's the closest.

It's also gonna be hard to specify which teachers are the best because everyones needs are different + even nicer schools have turnover. All we can really do is look at nearby schools that have the higher tier test scores and over-all good reputation

Last edited by mastershake575; 01-08-2020 at 03:30 PM..

Old 01-08-2020, 04:00 PM

113 posts, read 104,109 times
My kid went to Valley Ranch Elementary and Highland Park High School. I can attest that teachers in both schools, especially Valley Ranch Elementary, are among the best in public schools.

Old 01-08-2020, 04:22 PM

216 posts, read 343,917 times
Mockingbird Elementary is stellar - and the teachers are JL Long are great, especially the higher grades (East Dallas)

Old 01-08-2020, 07:05 PM

1,429 posts, read 1,777,115 times
Most schools with favorable socioeconomic demographics have pretty good teachers, in aggregate. Those are the schools where better teachers tend to want to work, so they can be selective on the front end, which is most of the battle. And they tend to have better retention, which matters as well. Most schools will find a way to fire a truly bad teacher but not one who is just average so the selection process up front is probably the most important factor.

Old 01-08-2020, 07:52 PM

456 posts, read 239,861 times
Southlake. End of Story. #1 Best Places to teach in DFW. #1 Best Districts with Best Teachers DFW. #3 District in TX with Best Teachers. #5 Best Places to teach in TX. #1 Best school District in DFW

https://www.niche.com/k12/d/carroll-...t-tx/rankings/

Now commence with all the unprofessional opinions.

Old 01-08-2020, 08:05 PM

5,828 posts, read 4,168,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolanders View Post
Southlake. End of Story. #1 Best Places to teach in DFW. #1 Best Districts with Best Teachers DFW. #3 District in TX with Best Teachers. #5 Best Places to teach in TX. #1 Best school District in DFW

https://www.niche.com/k12/d/carroll-...t-tx/rankings/

Now commence with all the unprofessional opinions.
From Niche on their methodology: Ranking based on student and parent ratings of teachers, teacher salaries, teacher absenteeism, teacher tenure, student-teacher ratio, and the Niche Academics Grade for the district.

I wouldn't exactly call that a professional analysis. The question of who has the "best" teachers is impossible to answer, and I think Niche pretending that they can answer it in a quantitative way is bogus.

I'm sure Southlake has a lot of great teachers. My wife is a product of Southlake schools, and I think she's great. But the source you cited is hardly an authoritative answer here.

OP: I would caution you to not necessarily equate experience with teacher quality. Many very experienced teachers are good because of their experience, but teacher burnout is also a very real thing.

Old 01-08-2020, 08:32 PM

1,879 posts, read 1,553,712 times
I don’t know anything about the private schools, but in general terms, I think there is a correlation between a district's median income, faculty incomes, and student outcome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas