Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2019, 07:48 PM

436 posts, read 572,737 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reginasmu View Post
Hello, all,

I've been living in Forney for the last five years. It is my first home and was a new build. I like my home, and my neighborhood is great, but I keep coming back to the desire to live in Dallas proper. I have lots of friends in/near Dallas, and I tend to hang out more in Dallas for dining, theater, non-profit organizations, etc. I also have a very long commute to work, and it would be nice to cut down on that time to have time to do more "life" things during the day. My colleagues keep trying to convince me to move closer to work (N. Plano area off Legacy), but not sure that makes sense for me.

What would you guys recommend as the best Dallas-proper neighborhoods to look at for the long-term for a single professional with no kids (yet) within the $350,000-400,000 budget range? I'm looking for a SFH with decent size (at least 2000 sq ft if possible) and can be new construction or pre-existing but updated (also must have a garage). I've looked at some of the new construction areas in town that the David Weekley is currently building - like them alot but they are out of my price range. They have another development opening very soon in the Forest Hills area and I'm waiting to see what their price range is early next year. If you have any suggestions of areas I should check out, I'm all ears. I just want to make sure I'm not looking for a unicorn...lol Thanks!
75252, I lived in that zip code for years. I loved it. If you buy in the area of Preston and Frankford the trees are huge and the neighborhoods are beautiful. It is close to Plano but still Dallas proper, far North Dallas. It would cut down your commute significantly and it is a great area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2019, 09:45 PM

94 posts, read 286,602 times
I’d look just a bit further north in 75252 for a good compromise - Preston Rd area between 190 and Frankfort, esp. if you can find something west of Preston (like Moss Creek Estates area). It’s Dallas but PISD for future resale.

Old 12-27-2019, 12:33 PM

15,437 posts, read 10,364,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
I remember you from your first home search. Forney to Legacy, that must be awful! If you want to make a meaningful dent in your commute, you need to be looking along the Dallas North Tollroad. Forest Hills isn’t going to help you any.

In Dallas proper, I would focus on Sparkman Club & the neighborhood immediately to its north. This is the area bordered by Walnut Hill / Marsh / Forest / Webb Chapel. Easy access to LBJ to tollroad and probably about 30 minutes garage-to-desk in the AM and about 40-50 minutes PM. There are quite a few remodeled 1950-1960’s homes here and active neighborhoods with neighborhood pools. Kind of a unique pocket of Dallas. Here’s a home in your price range for reference:

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...9_M86589-10464

A little further north in Farmer’s Branch or Addison, you can find newer homes and cut another 7-10 minutes or so off your commute.

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...1_M85093-00300

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...1_M89677-08658
When we were looking last spring, this is where we found close in homes in OP's price range. A lot of old Fox & Jacobs homes that have been flipped. Personally, I'd do some digging and go with the F & J homes that were upper tier. Back in the day, they were considered to have better bones.

Old 12-27-2019, 08:19 PM

222 posts, read 601,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
It’s pretty diverse - racially and socioeconomically. The zip code in total is a little over half white, one-third Hispanic and the other 10% split between black, Asian, and multi. The housing ranges from multi million dollar estates to middle class ranches to lower income apartments as you move west through the zip from Inwood to 35. I think age wise it’s pretty diverse. In a neighborhood like the one I linked, you’ll find everyone from elderly “original” owners to young families to singles and DINKS. Royal & 35 is little Koreatown and while there are a lot of shady / unsafe establishments there, there are also some restaurant and bakery gems there.

I would drive the major and minor streets from Inwood to Webb Chapel, from Forest to Walnut Hill so you can get a feel for the diversity of the whole area. Do be aware that the tornado damage is significant in the southern parts of the zip along Walnut Hill and zig-zagging up to Royal & Inwood.

We live nearby in 75230 - our own little block is very diverse. From babies to high school aged kids, from single professionals to empty nesters and octogenarians, from white and black to Chinese, Thai, and Mexican, gay and straight. We have a little bit of everything on our street.
Thanks for the tips, TC80. When I went out the other day I did drive those streets you mentioned. I really did take a liking for the area from what I saw. And, you're right, I saw kids outside playing and couples taking walks in the neighborhood (I drove around at about 1pm or so). I noticed in Sparkman Club specifically, there were not many homes for sale at the moment, but I know that December is not typically a hot moving time for people from what I understand. I'll keep this area in mind for sure and will keep and eye on potential opportunities may come. Is there a particular time you'd recommend looking in this zip code, or does it just follow whatever pattern the rest of the local market is doing?

Old 12-27-2019, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedTexanTea View Post
75252, I lived in that zip code for years. I loved it. If you buy in the area of Preston and Frankford the trees are huge and the neighborhoods are beautiful. It is close to Plano but still Dallas proper, far North Dallas. It would cut down your commute significantly and it is a great area.
Thanks. Yes, that area is nice. My initial preference though is to live south of 635, if possible.

Old 12-27-2019, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
When we were looking last spring, this is where we found close in homes in OP's price range. A lot of old Fox & Jacobs homes that have been flipped. Personally, I'd do some digging and go with the F & J homes that were upper tier. Back in the day, they were considered to have better bones.
Which of the above areas are you referring to? The area south of 635 or the Farmers Branch/Addison area?

Old 12-27-2019, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dal123 View Post
Regency place is in the 75254 zip code area, homes under $400 K.
Just did a quick search and only see two homes currently for sale in my desired price range. I would really hope to stay south of 635 if at all possible.

Old 12-27-2019, 10:58 PM

562 posts, read 547,939 times
Quote:
Thanks. Yes, that area is nice. My initial preference though is to live south of 635, if possible.
The problem is with your budget, the area's south of 635 in your price range are gonna be over 95% of the following

1. Gonna be near run down apartments or rougher streets of Dallas
2. Be completely un-renovated (basically projects)
or
3. Be in a part of Dallas that's fine and safe but be MUCH MUCH farther from your job than the zip codes where listing. For example the Eastern part of lakehighlands ( highland meadows) has good houses in your range but is 10 miles farther from your job than the zip codes wehre listing in far North Dallas. The area just East of white rock lake (near the botanical gardens) has houses in your range and is a safe area but is 15 whole miles farther from your job than Far North Dallas.

Your budget paired with trying to live south of 635 paired with you working all the way on Legacy is gonna be a potential issue.

That's why people are recommending area's in Far North Dallas (it's close to your job but still close to desireable area's and hangout spots in Dallas)

Old 12-28-2019, 12:18 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,107,679 times
Quote:
Thanks for the tips, TC80. When I went out the other day I did drive those streets you mentioned. I really did take a liking for the area from what I saw. And, you're right, I saw kids outside playing and couples taking walks in the neighborhood (I drove around at about 1pm or so). I noticed in Sparkman Club specifically, there were not many homes for sale at the moment, but I know that December is not typically a hot moving time for people from what I understand. I'll keep this area in mind for sure and will keep and eye on potential opportunities may come. Is there a particular time you'd recommend looking in this zip code, or does it just follow whatever pattern the rest of the local market is doing?
It’s a great neighborhood! Just like most of the Dallas market, listings start to pop after the Christmas break and peak somewhere between Spring Break and the end of school. I would just set up a zip code alert on one of the mls engines so you get all the new listings emailed to you.

I know someone who might be listing a darling home in Sparkman after Spring Break, depending on their kids’ school admissions outcome. Will let you know if they do list!

Old 12-28-2019, 08:43 AM

700 posts, read 2,711,555 times
I think northwest Dallas is your best. A few of the homes in that area have/had foundation issues, so I recommend that you have a structural engineer look at the home, as well. We were under contract on a home in the 75229 zip code that had a transferable foundation warranty from previous work and we came to find out that it was irreparable. The home itself and the lot were beautiful, but we didn’t feel comfortable moving forward and we passed. We have a few friends in that area that have great homes and no problems whatsoever and they all love it. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas