Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2020, 06:34 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,321,790 times

Advertisements

Interestingly enough, in my little neighborhood there have been three or four houses recently that were given a heavy remodel/expansion rather than the default scrape and McMansion build of the previous 8 or 10 years. The basic appearance and facade remains almost the same, but the expansion is to the back and there's considerable reworking of the interior floor plan. Naturally, I hope that's an increasing trend, but I don't know whether 3 or 4 pcs. makes a trend or just an anomaly. There are also some McMansions still going up, so the trend is unclear at best.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2020, 07:01 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,281,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmtex View Post
I had to get my licensed renewed the other day, all that was there was Indians and Californians
What? No Chinese or Latinos? Last time I got my license renewed it was nothing but Chinese people, Hispanics speaking Spanish, and Indians. There were no black people (except the African immigrants working there) and maybe 1 or 2 other white people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastershake575 View Post
In my area they love destroying affordable older middle class houses to build their eyesore McMansion and then they leave after a a few years because their "off to their next adventure" !!!! (cool thanks for kicking the middle class out of the area just because you want your "flavor of the month" house )
Or they get upset because their taxes are so high so they're off to a cheaper area, taking their California pensions with them. I really can't stand these people.

Old 01-27-2020, 07:21 AM

7,890 posts, read 11,408,992 times
I moved here because I like change and growth. I lived in a couple of areas without growth and in one case in decline. I prefer easily the challenges of growth to those of decline.

Growth when it is diverse is the best type of growth to me. Californians bring diversity as well as those from other continents. For one who likes the location and wants to be there long term, the growth brings issues like rising home prices and taxes. But the positive of a growing market is you can sell and move more easily than in a declining or flat line area.

I think DFW does as good a job as I've seen in addressing infrastructure required for growth. It is impossible to do it perfectly but new transportation and new water sources are critical and I see options for those being addressed timely, which means long before the growth is overtaking us.

Old 01-27-2020, 07:36 AM

4,505 posts, read 4,615,442 times
I wonder what the percentage of Californians who move to Texas are former Texans?

Old 01-27-2020, 07:54 AM

3,576 posts, read 2,196,836 times
When i lived in Las Vegas back in early 2000’s people from California came and bought 2-3 houses or more at a time, then they decided to move back, we had so many foreclosures, peoples homes were worth so much less than what they had paid. It took almost 15 years for prices to get back up i worry about this for Texas. When they leave what mess will be left behind, how may foreclosures.? I have lived here 15 years , I love Texas, the people, everything about it. I left Las Vegas because of health care , traffic. We had lived in Texas in the early years of my husband's military career. We loved it but had settled in Las Vegas it was his last assignment. But when our grandkids were born we knew we couldn’t stay there any longer its not a family place.

Now where we live outside of Austin traffic has increased, and we are seeing road rage. We never had break ins before we are now seeing them. Too many people too fast, thats just my opinion. Infrastructure cant keep up in smaller cities.

Old 01-27-2020, 07:58 AM

4,505 posts, read 4,615,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
What? No Chinese or Latinos? Last time I got my license renewed it was nothing but Chinese people, Hispanics speaking Spanish, and Indians. There were no black people (except the African immigrants working there) and maybe 1 or 2 other white people.

Or they get upset because their taxes are so high so they're off to a cheaper area, taking their California pensions with them. I really can't stand these people.
If you are speaking in all sincerity and you "really can't stand" "these people", why on earth did you move to DFW in the 1st place? You know it's a melting pot mega region filled with lots of all different kinds of people you "can't stand". You should have known in advance you would have "people issues" if you moved there. It must be extremely frustrating to live in an area that has so many "types" of people you "can't stand". I would suggest you re-think moving to Tennessee because I hear Californians are flocking to Tennessee in droves. I would suggest you move to someplace like Iowa instead.

Old 01-27-2020, 08:12 AM

41 posts, read 21,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Texas has attracted transplants my entire life; that's nothing new. But it's getting unmanageable. I personally am tired of my taxes & utility bills going up every year because of them.

Plus, some of the people moving here from California are nuts. Really nuts. They're attracted to Texas for "medical freedom," i.e. the freedom to not vaccinate their children.
How does the "not vaccinate" part work? The choice of vaccination is the same in all 50 states, it is up to the parents whether to vaccinate or not. Just like in California, Texas requires vaccinations in order to attend any public or private school. On the other hand, Texas is even more strict when it comes to home schooling - there is a requirement to vaccinate if you home school your kids. In California, there is no such requirements. The influx has nothing to do with vaccinations.

Old 01-27-2020, 08:26 AM

53 posts, read 77,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
I wonder what the percentage of Californians who move to Texas are former Texans?
Judging by their ******* attitude, their complete confusion at any bbq restaurant, and above all the foul blank stare when you say howdy to them I’m going to go all in on.....none

Old 01-27-2020, 08:33 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,281,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
If you are speaking in all sincerity and you "really can't stand" "these people", why on earth did you move to DFW in the 1st place? You know it's a melting pot mega region filled with lots of all different kinds of people you "can't stand". You should have known in advance you would have "people issues" if you moved there. It must be extremely frustrating to live in an area that has so many "types" of people you "can't stand". I would suggest you re-think moving to Tennessee because I hear Californians are flocking to Tennessee in droves. I would suggest you move to someplace like Iowa instead.

I'm FROM here, guy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_engineer View Post
How does the "not vaccinate" part work? The choice of vaccination is the same in all 50 states, it is up to the parents whether to vaccinate or not. Just like in California, Texas requires vaccinations in order to attend any public or private school. On the other hand, Texas is even more strict when it comes to home schooling - there is a requirement to vaccinate if you home school your kids. In California, there is no such requirements. The influx has nothing to do with vaccinations.
And yet there they are all over various forums and social media platforms cheering about how Texas won't force them to vaccinate.

Old 01-27-2020, 08:34 AM

7,890 posts, read 11,408,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cp102 View Post
When i lived in Las Vegas back in early 2000’s people from California came and bought 2-3 houses or more at a time, then they decided to move back, we had so many foreclosures, peoples homes were worth so much less than what they had paid. It took almost 15 years for prices to get back up i worry about this for Texas. When they leave what mess will be left behind, how may foreclosures.? I have lived here 15 years , I love Texas, the people, everything about it. I left Las Vegas because of health care , traffic. We had lived in Texas in the early years of my husband's military career. We loved it but had settled in Las Vegas it was his last assignment. But when our grandkids were born we knew we couldn’t stay there any longer its not a family place.

Now where we live outside of Austin traffic has increased, and we are seeing road rage. We never had break ins before we are now seeing them. Too many people too fast, thats just my opinion. Infrastructure cant keep up in smaller cities.
Jobs jobs jobs. They move here for jobs first and foremost. As long as they economy remains strong here we wont have a repeat of your LV experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas