Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2020, 10:04 AM

22 posts, read 23,691 times

Advertisements

I am a 23 who is planning to move to Dallas Tx because the winter here in Minnesota is brutally hard to drive in the snow and ice. And I would like to know for someone who is moving without a car for now and a female where the city in Dallas tx be the best to move to? My mom would be joining me in the future buying a property and what city would be the best to do in Dallas Tx that's affordable nothing in 2000k My apologies I am trying to hit two birds with one stone.

Few things I would like to know more about Dallas Tx

How is the job market? (I am planning on to get a job right away when I move).

Does Dallas get a lot of snow I am trying to escape the winter in the sense of snow and ice?

Please feel free to give me advice or comment because I like to know other people's views about this. Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2020, 10:19 AM

1,314 posts, read 1,163,275 times
Moving without a car isn't bad, but you'll likely need one the minute you get here.

The job market is good to great, depending on what kind of job you're looking for.

Dallas barely ever gets snow or ice. Maybe once a year tops, and the whole city shuts down.

Ok, now for the commentary:

We replace ice and snow with 100 degree temps, which don't really affect driving too much, just make sure you have a car with good AC. You will need a car, unless you want to live in a high COL area.

$200K on a house won't put you very close to Dallas. What are you planning on spending on rent?

Old 02-17-2020, 10:23 AM

565 posts, read 563,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rose_14 View Post
My mom would be joining me in the future buying a property and what city would be the best to do in Dallas Tx that's affordable nothing in 2000k
House budget ? either rent price or home purchase price (you listed nothing in 2000k, not sure if you mean't $2,000 a month or 200k house price ?)

Quote:
How is the job market? (I am planning on to get a job right away when I move).
Job market for what ? What is your profession ? Overall it's good but like any city there's professions that peak and some that don't (we can't tell you it's amazing then you move here and the profession you have is one that's actually weak in the area, that's misleading).

Quote:
Does Dallas get a lot of snow I am trying to escape the winter in the sense of snow and ice?
Last time I remember snow in Dallas proper was January 2017. Even then I remember going to work and leaving just fine, 95% of the roads didn't even freeze

Old 02-17-2020, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipito View Post
Moving without a car isn't bad, but you'll likely need one the minute you get here.

The job market is good to great, depending on what kind of job you're looking for.

Dallas barely ever gets snow or ice. Maybe once a year tops, and the whole city shuts down.

We replace ice and snow with 100 degree temps, which don't really affect driving too much, just make sure you have a car with good AC. You will need a car, unless you want to live in a high COL area.

$200K on a house won't put you very close to Dallas. What are you planning on spending on rent?
Thank you for your feeback. I am looking into Houston or Dallas. This is my first time. I am moving without a job in line it's really hard to find a job from Minnesota to Texas. Basically I have majored in Human Resource ( HR) but I am just looking for any job that is office job.

For houses basically the budget is like median $185,500 lower would be good. For the rent I am not sure.

At this moment I am trying to figure out if after reading some comments if Houston would be better then Dallas. What makes me like Dallas better is hearing that finding a job is lot more easier in Dallas.

Old 02-17-2020, 11:53 AM

2,495 posts, read 872,065 times
Quote:

Ice shuts down any city. Dallas gets more of it than others and knows better than others how to drive on it.

Old 02-17-2020, 12:19 PM

11,881 posts, read 26,965,626 times
Dallas has a very good job market for HR *IF* you have experience. I will say there is a lot of competition, so even for what should be an entry-level job, an applicant with at least a year of HR experience will be ahead of someone who has none. I've been working in HR in both Dallas and Fort Worth since 2002. I will also say networking is very important here; you'll want to attend SHRM-chapter events to make yourself known and to develop your contact network.

The problem with moving here without a job is that the Metroplex is HUGE, and not having a car will put you at a disadvantage. If you chose to live in Plano, and then found your ideal job in Fort Worth, you'd easily be driving for over an hour each way. Without a car, that commute would be impossible. I would strongly advise renting to get yourself familiar with the area and the housing market. If you and your mom immediately bought a house, you could end up in an unsafe area, or living too far away from work.

Old 02-17-2020, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
Dallas has a very good job market for HR *IF* you have experience. I will say there is a lot of competition, so even for what should be an entry-level job, an applicant with at least a year of HR experience will be ahead of someone who has none. I've been working in HR in both Dallas and Fort Worth since 2002. I will also say networking is very important here; you'll want to attend SHRM-chapter events to make yourself known and to develop your contact network.

The problem with moving here without a job is that the Metroplex is HUGE, and not having a car will put you at a disadvantage. If you chose to live in Plano, and then found your ideal job in Fort Worth, you'd easily be driving for over an hour each way. Without a car, that commute would be impossible. I would strongly advise renting to get yourself familiar with the area and the housing market. If you and your mom immediately bought a house, you could end up in an unsafe area, or living too far away from work.
Oh okay. Would you say Houston tx would be a better choice for someone like me who is not looking for an HR job but just honestly any entry-level office job and also the fact that I have to rely on transportation for a little bit? Thank you for your feedback I appreciate it.

Old 02-17-2020, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastriver View Post
Ice shuts down any city. Dallas gets more of it than others and knows better than others how to drive on it.
This is insanely comical.

Old 02-17-2020, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Oh okay. Would you say Houston tx would be a better choice for someone like me who is not looking for an HR job but just honestly any entry-level office job and also the fact that I have to rely on transportation for a little bit? Thank you for your feedback I appreciate it.
No - Phoenix would be better.

Old 02-17-2020, 01:23 PM

Quote:
No - Phoenix would be better.
I have actually thought about phoenix, but I worry that it's really hot like I am going from one extreme to another and also it's older folks crowd. But I don't know if those are 100% true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas