Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2020, 02:51 AM

27 posts, read 15,309 times

Advertisements

Was wondering if anyone to point me toward the safe neighborhoods of Fort Worth for a single female. I see a lot of houses for sale in the $150k to $200k range on Zillow but don’t know what the neighborhoods are like. My daughter is graduating high school this year so I no longer have to consider school district. Thank you for any help you can provide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2020, 08:04 AM

11,852 posts, read 26,854,435 times
Fort Worth is actually a separate forum, so hopefully one of the admins will move your post.

Since you are new to the area, I’d strongly recommend renting for 6 months or a year to get familiar with the area. Your intuition is correct that houses which are that inexpensive are most likely in unsafe neighborhoods. There’s actually a post on the Fort Worth forum right now discussing one such house that’s in a marginal neighborhood.

Old 02-23-2020, 09:54 AM

8,144 posts, read 8,335,862 times
When you post in the FTW forum, also indicate where your job will be so CD’ers can give input for commute. And indicate if you strictly want a single family house or are willing to look at townhouses or condos. $150-$200K can be sketchy; but there are some nice burbs with decent housing so also indicate if you are also open to burbs, not just Fort Worth proper.

Old 02-23-2020, 11:32 AM

27 posts, read 15,309 times
Whoops! Sorry about that...I thought I was in the FW forum. I’ll try again. But, thank you for your replies. Wow! $200k and still get a sketchy area....didn’t expect that. Thought DFW area was more affordable than that. Luckily, I can spread out more to more of the outskirts and don’t want to be in the city anyways, so hopefully that will help. Thanks

Old 02-23-2020, 01:27 PM

565 posts, read 557,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick20 View Post
Thought DFW area was more affordable than that
Affordable is a relative term. Give the over-all value you get by living here most would consider even 250-300k very affordable given the salaries, job oppurtunities, city services, and vast amount of entertainment/luxury activities.

The best bang for your buck window you already missed. Transplants flocking to DFW in record numbers the last 5 years have raised house prices anywhere from 35-70% depending on the neighborhood.

Even before the transplant influx 150-180k range for a nice middle class house wasn't really possible in most of the desirable area's of the metroplex. Whoever told you that range was nice/desirable DFW budget wasn't even close to correct, that range for a house your mostly dealing with the lower third of households. I'm my specific area all the houses left in that range are dumpy rent house neighborhoods.

Agreed with someone who said you might have better luck with a condo/townhouse in a nicer area in that range.

Last edited by mastershake575; 02-23-2020 at 01:41 PM..

Old 02-24-2020, 05:43 AM

24,470 posts, read 10,793,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick20 View Post
Whoops! Sorry about that...I thought I was in the FW forum. I’ll try again. But, thank you for your replies. Wow! $200k and still get a sketchy area....didn’t expect that. Thought DFW area was more affordable than that. Luckily, I can spread out more to more of the outskirts and don’t want to be in the city anyways, so hopefully that will help. Thanks
That is not a new idea anymore. Pull up DFW on Google and on Mapquest. Get an idea of the size of the beast and double estimated commute times. Check out real estate taxes and home/car insurance based on various zip codes you are targeting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas