Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2020, 08:33 PM

1,530 posts, read 1,412,902 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiantbaby View Post
you are not a voice, nor are you a doctor... Certainly no sg.

Masks do nothing for the uninfected. They are almost always worn wrong and frankly, the eyes will allow a virus into the body faster than through the mouth. Are you wearing airtight goggles too? Probably not.

stop. Misinforming. People.

your nonsense only makes people more frightened and takes away resources from those who actually need it.

your medical expert trolling is neither needed, nor appreciated.
+1

Old 03-13-2020, 08:49 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,878,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wittgenstein's Ghost View Post
You don't actually know this.

There are tons of unknowns about this virus. There is a vaccine for the flu but not for the coronavirus. I am not personally scared, and I don't think most people need to be worried about this. But the whole "This is less dangerous than the flu" is nonsense. Maybe it is, but maybe it isn't. When dealing with pandemics, it is the possibility for growth that is both unknown and dangerous.

I'm not in the "Sky is falling" camp, and I'm certainly not buying masks. But I do think there are a lot of lay people who are making comparisons that the CDC wouldn't agree with.
Bringing this forward
In the time since end of Feb when this thread started there HAS been new information
Not necessarily that the CDC is backing but that other medical/scientific sources find credible which makes a big difference in how communicable/transmissible this CoVid-19 virus is

Watch the lates MedCram.com video blog regarding the viability of the virus outside the human body and the mode of transmission
Or check out videos on YouTube from Dr. John Campbell, a dr in England who has been tracking and posting about the outbreak since early January

Rather than large-droplet infection —with a 5-6ft circle of closeness
There is research now to indicate this is transmitted by SMALL DROPLET infection—meaning when someone coughs or sneezes and puts out the virus, it can become airborne in small particles—
They can float on dust particles in the air, get caught up in the HVAC air and stay viable as infection for more than 30 min...they can also live outside the body for longer than originally though—and on items like cardboard/plastic/stainless steel/copper for 2 days to up to 10...

This is NOT the scenario the CDC was preaching initially
That is one reason it said that masks were not that effective to prevent catching the virus
But given that this can be airborne and viable you can be infected walking into a space where an infected person was coughing/sneezing for 3 seconds and walked away—never to be seen

So face masks, protective eye ware, and gloves
wear something like the ponchos we saw in China to protect yourself from droplets that you can sanitize and hang outside
Spray soles of your shoes w/antibacterial when you come in and let them dry before walking around the house
Better yet—have two sets of shoes—inside and outside—

It may really be impossible to not get this virus but there are ways to delay
Quarantine is certainly one—but some people don’t have that option

Old 03-13-2020, 08:51 PM

227 posts, read 223,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
Bringing this forward
In the time since end of Feb when this thread started there HAS been new information
Not necessarily that the CDC is backing but that other medical/scientific sources find credible which makes a big difference in how communicable/transmissible this CoVid-19 virus is

Watch the lates MedCram.com video blog regarding the viability of the virus outside the human body and the mode of transmission
Or check out videos on YouTube from Dr. John Campbell, a dr in England who has been tracking and posting about the outbreak since early January

Rather than large-droplet infection —with a 5-6ft circle of closeness
There is research now to indicate this is transmitted by SMALL DROPLET infection—meaning when someone coughs or sneezes and puts out the virus, it can become airborne in small particles—
They can float on dust particles in the air, get caught up in the HVAC air and stay viable as infection for more than 30 min...they can also live outside the body for longer than originally though—and on items like cardboard/plastic/stainless steel/copper for 2 days to up to 10...

That is one reason it said that masks were not that effective to prevent catching the virus
But given that this can be airborne and viable you can be infected walking into a space where an infected person was coughing/sneezing for 3 seconds and walked away—never to be seen

Launder your outside closthing
Spray soles of your shoes w/antibacterial when you come in and let them dry before walking around the house
Good pieces of Info. I agree when this thread started and the CDC was preaching that no need to wear masks whereas in China , people were being forced to wear masks or they were flogged
so obviously they knew more. At the moment , a N95 wouldnt even help too as the virus can get into your eyes if it had been hanging in the air. so a proper hazmat suit..... i am wondering when i would see in walmart or some grocery store....would be something

Old 03-13-2020, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgNCATL View Post
Who tha f*** told you this was no more than the flu? MF the flu has a vaccine, corona don’t! Last I heard this was multiple times worst than the flu!
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...&region=Footer

Story of two medical workers in China who caught the Corona
This is not the flu...
These women were healthy—no chronic illness, middle age (under 40)—and had some serious repercussions

Old 03-13-2020, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanz7887 View Post
Good pieces of Info. I agree when this thread started and the CDC was preaching that no need to wear masks whereas in China , people were being forced to wear masks or they were flogged
so obviously they knew more. At the moment , a N95 wouldnt even help too as the virus can get into your eyes if it had been hanging in the air. so a proper hazmat suit..... i am wondering when i would see in walmart or some grocery store....would be something
If you have a swim mask that doesn’t leak water when you swim, you can wear that
I ordered some UNVENTED goggles off EBay (yes, thrash me with a wet noodle)
If you can only fine INDIRECT vent goggles (the kind that don’t fog so much when you sweat) you can seal them with some plastic and clear nail polish or super glue
Just make sure you get a good seal around your face—

Some medical people wear face shields that cover all their face but it is possible that air currents could still float virus particles into your eyes from underneath
And most patients are going to be lower than a health care worker who is standing at bedside over a patient

I even bought some painter’s suits w/hoods

My 44 yr old son has cancer and started chemo this week
He has a compromised immune system
He can’t afford to get near this virus and we can’t afford to bring it home
He still has to go out for infusions and dr’s visits...
Dangerous places...

And you can buy full face respirators—just have to get supply of filters...

Just feel sorry for all the people in the public safety/health field who aren’t going to be prepared for this because their cities are too little, too late getting prepared
Consider the military
And consider all the people we depend on for our supply chain
The people in plants making toilet paper and Purell, the truckers and factory workers loading pallets, the grocery story workers we take so much for granted
And please keep garbage men healthy...

Old 03-14-2020, 06:31 AM

3,754 posts, read 4,241,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
Yea don't blow out your elbow patting yourself on the back........while you hoard so many masks in your basement. My eldest will be working a big city ER/ED in the N.E.-U.S. short masks - for months. Good for you! He's been told to expect endless work until maybe late June. I mean I guess shame on him for not buying his own masks months ago as you did.

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/publ...m-coronavirus/

I didn't buy ANY masks, thank you very much. I ALWAYS have some because I do a lot of work in my garage, but thanks for playing. (Sorry to say you are easily triggered when anyone says a negative thing about Trump, but if you'd take off your blinders, you'd be able to admit that the CDC and our health care system got caught with their pants down on this.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadiantBaby View Post
You are not a voice, nor are you a doctor... Certainly no SG.

Masks do nothing for the uninfected. They are almost always worn wrong and frankly, the eyes will allow a virus into the body faster than through the mouth. Are you wearing airtight goggles too? Probably not.

Stop. Misinforming. People.

Your nonsense only makes people more frightened and takes away resources from those who actually need it.

Your medical expert trolling is neither needed, nor appreciated.

Oh look, it's our resident "traveler" who hasn't been right about a single thing since lying that they were recently in Hong Kong.

If you'd like to debate the subject I'd be happy to do so in PMs. Every thread you enter you post misinformation and lies. I'm not claiming to be a doctor or voice... but I'm sure as hell a lot more credible than YOU.

(And I'm sorry you are incapable of doing something simple like wearing a mask correctly. Most people don't have that problem!)

Old 03-14-2020, 06:37 AM

Quote:

wear something like the ponchos we saw in China to protect yourself from droplets that you can sanitize and hang outside

It may really be impossible to not get this virus but there are ways to delay
Quarantine is certainly one—but some people don’t have that option

Exactly. Wearing a mask cuts down on the virus entering the body from the mouth and nose. The eyes are still exposed, but no one breathes through their eyes. The main way to get the virus through the eyes is by rubbing your eyes with your hands that have the virus on them, and disposable gloves go a long way to take care of that.

Old 03-14-2020, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katana49 View Post
Exactly. Wearing a mask cuts down on the virus entering the body from the mouth and nose. The eyes are still exposed, but no one breathes through their eyes. The main way to get the virus through the eyes is by rubbing your eyes with your hands that have the virus on them, and disposable gloves go a long way to take care of that.
Actually if the virus IS airborne—which I suspect is the case after this new research—then you can definitely catch particulates in the air when you are in infected space
Less likely maybe than transfer by hands
But still possible

And I agree wearing gloves and disposing properly helps to remind you not to rub your face

But there are times when even in normal life you get an itch and not scratching/rubbing is infuriating
I had to rub my face against my husband’s back the other day at Costco
Not perfectly sanitary but best I could come up with at the moment

Old 03-14-2020, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
He can say it
Doesn’t make it true

So many doctors are going to be exposed to patients w/o alarming symptoms because they won’t glove up or wear a mask for the exam

That is what happened in Italy and China where health care workers took this disease too lightly initially and infected themselves and likely spread it to other patients

Make even 15% of health care workers infected patients and see what that does to the treatment curve

Old 03-14-2020, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Actually if the virus IS airborne—which I suspect is the case after this new research—then you can definitely catch particulates in the air when you are in infected space
Less likely maybe than transfer by hands
But still possible

And I agree wearing gloves and disposing properly helps to remind you not to rub your face

But there are times when even in normal life you get an itch and not scratching/rubbing is infuriating
I had to rub my face against my husband’s back the other day at Costco
Not perfectly sanitary but best I could come up with at the moment

Yes. I've read that the virus was still viable after 3 hours in the air, and that was as long as the test went, and it can live as long as 72 hours on stainless steel surfaces, less on others.

Isolation still seems to be the safer choice for most people. And everyone... be careful getting your mail. All it takes is one postal worker with this virus making the rounds and breathing for hours in a small mail truck, touching everyone's mail to infect a lot of people. Current epidemiological estimates are 8x as many infected as diagnosed, so we're going to be wearing gloves when getting the mail and will probably sort it outside and put most of it directly in the trash.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas