Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2020, 04:05 PM

15,523 posts, read 10,487,502 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
Several local hospitals have pulled masks from easy access - usually hanging on the back of doors - for docs. and nurses as patients and visitors have stolen large quantities.

That just astonishes me.
25 years ago that would have never happened in Dallas, we've changed a lot.

Old 03-14-2020, 06:06 PM

122 posts, read 173,097 times
Well, wearing mask or not make a big difference. If two people and one infected patient in a same elevator, one with mask, another without, it turns out that the one without mask got infected, but the one with mask did not get infected. This is a true story in wuhan, also a man just passed by a infected patient and he was infected because he Did not wear mask. This virus is much contagious than you thought.

QUOTE=El Chingaso;57438134]Realistically, a mask isn't going to make a meaningful difference.

My favorite was the lady on the plane this morning wearing the mask over her mouth, with her nose uncovered.[/quote]

Old 03-14-2020, 06:21 PM

19,767 posts, read 18,050,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhappybird View Post
Well, wearing mask or not make a big difference. If two people and one infected patient in a same elevator, one with mask, another without, it turns out that the one without mask got infected, but the one with mask did not get infected. This is a true story in wuhan, also a man just passed by a infected patient and he was infected because he Did not wear mask. This virus is much contagious than you thought.
No sale.

Old 03-14-2020, 06:56 PM

3,754 posts, read 4,232,884 times
Quote:
I won't admit to that because I, significantly anyway, don't agree with your thesis.

You are an economics guy you know as well as I do that in the current paradigm efficient markets almost never allow for the stockpiling of anything above a few percent more than is needed per given time horizons. Further, the .gov can't stockpile months supply of everything that might be needed given a wide array of events.

As it stands now if low information types hadn't hoarded and stolen millions of masks over the last two weeks and our suppliers hadn't shipped, apparently, many millions overseas there would be somewhere between no shortage and a much less impactful shortage within the medical community.

Yes, you are an economics guy as well, so you should know that supply chain demand for hospitals and health networks are not dependent upon what the public can buy at Home Depot. Take a city like McKinney. They have what, 6-8 major hospitals around the city, probably about 10-20 Urgent Care type facilities, and they have 2 Home Depots, with each probably stocking 10-12 cases max at each location...

To start with, no hospital is going to be sending their employees to pick up masks at an HD, or Lowes, etc. They get them from the source, 3m, Honeywell, etc. Anything the public was able to pick up in ANY city was NEVER going to wind up in a hospital, the supply available wouldn't even make a dent. You know this as well as I do, which is why it's incredibly stupid for the SG to suggest that it's the public at large who is responsible for a shortage of masks. They most certainly are not, it was the failure of our government to account for a much larger R0 value than the common flu, and they had 2 months to figure this out from China, South Korea, Iran, and Italy.

Old 03-15-2020, 03:42 PM

3,834 posts, read 4,437,205 times
Quote:
Several local hospitals have pulled masks from easy access - usually hanging on the back of doors - for docs. and nurses as patients and visitors have stolen large quantities.

That just astonishes me.
Yep this is true. My wife is a nurse manager. Before the virus, masks were kept out in the open. With the coronavirus, they now have to keep all masks locked in the cabinet to which only she has the key. All masks now have to be signed out.

Old 03-15-2020, 03:51 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,150,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biafra4life View Post
Yep this is true. My wife is a nurse manager. Before the virus, masks were kept out in the open. With the coronavirus, they now have to keep all masks locked in the cabinet to which only she has the key. All masks now have to be signed out.
Our office has a 30 case of Purell hand pumps in the supply cabinet they usually keep unlocked. Told her they out to secure that case. It's gold right now.

Old 03-17-2020, 08:34 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,827,062 times
Quote:
No sale.
This virus is AIRBORNE infectious
The WHO initially thought like the normal flu (another corona virus) it would be large droplet/close confine transmission
Meaning you would pass it along to someone you were close to when you sneezed or coughed but not to people that were more than 6 ft away
That was WRONG
The droplets of infection can be airborne for 30 min or more in a space that someone with the virus has been in
Someplace they breathed, sneeze, coughed out particles of virus RNA...
Someone you don’t necessarily see or know can make you sick
And that is why there are so many cases of COMMUNITY TRANSMISSION
Not just because people are asymptomatic but because it is airborne
Fauci still won’t admit that but the WHO is getting ready to
And there are massive epidemiological shifts between the two types of transmissions...calculating one vs the other means people are unprepared for the spread in a specific area and also the numbers...

So MASKS, GOGGLES, and gloves so you can strip/dispose after being out are all helpful to prevent catching these infectious particles

People in China especially were wearing plastic/vinyl ponchos so they would protect their clothing
And lot of them had full face respirators with N100/P100 particulate filters
Better than an N95 mask and much better than the paper masks you get at the doctors office
Those are not face fitting and have too many gaps to be very protective in you are around someone who is contagious...

Old 03-17-2020, 08:41 PM

19,767 posts, read 18,050,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
This virus is AIRBORNE infectious
The WHO initially thought like the normal flu (another corona virus) it would be large droplet/close confine transmission
Meaning you wouldn’t pass it along to someone you were close to when you sneezed or coughed
That was WRONG
The droplets of infection can be airborne for 30 min or more in a space that someone with the virus has been in

So MASKS, GOGGLES, and gloves so you can strip/dispose after being out are all helpful to prevent catching these infectious particles

People in China especially were wearing plastic/vinyl ponchos so they would protect their clothing
And lot of them had full face respirators with N100/P100 particulate filters
Better than an N95 mask and much better than the paper masks you get at the doctors office
Those are not face fitting and have too many gaps to be very protective in you are around someone who is contagious...
Listen I'm not going to argue with you - you are reading what you want to see.

The other guy's story about 1 sick, 1 not sick with a mask and 1 not sick with no mask and then the no mask person gets sick is fooly - he made that up.

Old 03-18-2020, 07:05 PM

122 posts, read 173,097 times
It is very strange to me that no one wear mask in US and Europe. The reason to wear mask is very simple, if you are in a crowd of people, some one has this virus and this guy sneeze sundenly, the virus’s are floating in the air for a few hours, then if you have no mask, it is likely you inhale the virus and get infected, if you wear mask, the multi layer structure can block the virus, so you will not get infected. Is that difficult to understand? Why people here are so stubborn? For what? Freedom? Look at the China, Korean and japan, these three successful model, they all understand how important wearing mask is, if people in China refuse to wear masks, I can not imagine they can control the virus as it is much easier for virus to spread in China.

I did not make up the story in the elevator. That is true.

Quote:
Listen I'm not going to argue with you - you are reading what you want to see.

The other guy's story about 1 sick, 1 not sick with a mask and 1 not sick with no mask and then the no mask person gets sick is fooly - he made that up.

Old 03-18-2020, 07:53 PM

3,754 posts, read 4,232,884 times
I'll be wearing my mask and gloves when I go to the store tomorrow or Friday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas