Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2020, 12:15 PM

22 posts, read 42,651 times

Advertisements

[SIZE=3][/SIZE]Help us decidewhere to live/go to public school in the city in Dallas! We have 2 kids (age 3and 2) and they both are in a Spanish immersion now. We would like to keep themin dual language. We consider our 3 yr old bilingual if that helps with admissions.We may have another child and a live in assistance so will need a 4 BR plushome. We definitely want to do public school and are open to magnets, but donot want to assume we will get into one so want we to be in a good DISD feederpattern, at least through middle school.
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]I need to commuteto downtown a few times a week but can go off hours and husband will be workingfrom home in the short term. Long term unknown. We are waitlisted for Spanishnursery schools in East Dallas and North Dallas. We will likely rent for thefirst year. If we get into both nursery schools, we need to decide on north vs.east dallas. Ok with renting a 3BR plus and budget prefer to be under $3,500.When we buy, we can do up to $900,000. Prefer to rent where we hope to eventuallybuy.
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]We loved EastDallas and did not get a good feel for north. What we know about East Dallasschools and housing:
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]Feeder patterninto Long Middle and Wilson High School are good for us.
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]Lakewood Elem-good dual language. Large class drawback. Lottery for Spanish speakers but canlottery in twice as a Spanish and English speaker. Must be within boundaries toget in. Dense and the home valuations may be on the very high side maybeleaving little room for appreciation
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]Hollywood Heights-loved it. But homes are mostly smaller. If we buy a 4-5BR plus there, we willbe on the high end of the real estate market in a neighborhood with buildingcovenants so appreciation may not be there
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]Mockingbird- gooddual language. Smaller class appeal. Can transfer into school without hardship.Don’t know much about housing. Thoughts?
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]Geneva Heights- gooddual language. Class size? Is their program as strong as the others? Housing?
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]Lipscomb- any insightinto the school? Dual language? Love some of the older homes in Junius andMungar. Thoughts on appreciation?
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]North Dallas
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]Walnut Hill- goodor great option for K-8 with drawback being temporary location for first yearof kinder. Drawback- high school but our kids are so young so maybe no need toworry. Is it easy to get into their dual language in or out of district? Benefitsfor already speaking Spanish?
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]Withers- I do notknow much about the school and home values.
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]DeGolver dual language-good program? Good ‘hood that feeds into it
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]Thank you
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2020, 01:06 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,096,521 times
Please...PLEASE...reformat this.

Old 02-28-2020, 01:12 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,111,078 times
I would put Rosemont on your list. It’s a dual language k-8 school in North Oak Cliff which solves your middle school problem. And great area to live in!

I would also add Kramer in North Dallas to your list. $750-900k will get your a gorgeous remodeled ranch on close to a 1/2 acre lot. Very pretty neighborhood with interesting terrain (for Dallas!) The tornado hit the southeast corner of Kramer attendance pretty hard but the parts closer to Hillcrest north of Royal had very little to no damage.

Both schools have a ton of neighborhood support!

As for your list of schools, if you are truly looking for a “safe” K-12 feeder, your only option is really Long/Woodrow.

WT White and Hillcrest as distant second choices.

Anything feeding into TJ is a haaaaaard NO.

Old 02-28-2020, 02:24 PM

Default Original message b/c format off

[SIZE=3][/SIZE]Help us decidewhere to live/go to public school in the city in Dallas! We have 2 kids (age 3and 2) and they both are in a Spanish immersion now. We would like to keep themin dual language. We consider our 3 yr old bilingual if that helps with admissions.We may have another child and a live in assistance so will need a 4 BR plushome. We definitely want to do public school and are open to magnets, but donot want to assume we will get into one so want we to be in a good DISD feederpattern, at least through middle school.
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]I need to commuteto downtown a few times a week but can go off hours and husband will be workingfrom home in the short term. Long term unknown. We are waitlisted for Spanishnursery schools in East Dallas and North Dallas. We will likely rent for thefirst year. If we get into both nursery schools, we need to decide on north vs.east dallas. Ok with renting a 3BR plus and budget prefer to be under $3,500.When we buy, we can do up to $900,000. Prefer to rent where we hope toeventually buy.
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]We loved EastDallas and did not get a good feel for north. What we know about East Dallasschools and housing:
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]Feeder patterninto Long Middle and Wilson High School are good for us.
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]Lakewood Elem-good dual language. Large class drawback. Lottery for Spanish speakers but canlottery in twice as a Spanish and English speaker. Must be within boundaries toget in. Dense and the home valuations may be on the very high side maybeleaving little room for appreciation
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]Hollywood Heights-loved it. But homes are mostly smaller. If we buy a 4-5BR plus there, we willbe on the high end of the real estate market in a neighborhood with buildingcovenants so appreciation may not be there
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]Mockingbird- gooddual language. Smaller class appeal. Can transfer into school without hardship.Don’t know much about housing. Thoughts?
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]Geneva Heights-good dual language. Class size? Is their program as strong as the others?Housing?
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]Lipscomb- anyinsight into the school? Dual language? Love some of the older homes in Juniusand Mungar. Thoughts on appreciation?
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]North Dallas
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]Walnut Hill- goodor great option for K-8 with drawback being temporary location for first yearof kinder. Drawback- high school but our kids are so young so maybe no need toworry. Is it easy to get into their dual language in or out of district?Benefits for already speaking Spanish?
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]Withers- I do notknow much about the school and home values.
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]DeGolver duallanguage- good program? Good ‘hood that feeds into it
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]Thank you
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]

Old 02-28-2020, 02:36 PM

379 posts, read 362,098 times
Mandy, dear, if you want to change the size of the text in your post simply put one SIZE=3 tag at the beginning of the post and then one /SIZE tag at the end.

Or don't change the size, what's really the point?

Old 02-28-2020, 03:12 PM

618 posts, read 645,858 times
I live in Munger Place and feed into Lipscomb. We didn't go to Lipscomb - choosing to use Spanish House for daycare and then a local private school. We are now in a DISD magnet.

Suggestions --
Lakewood Elementary is very good, albeit big. Most people love it, but probably is cliquish. (But you'd be starting there day 1 probably). I'm sure you know that Hollywood Heights feeds into Lakewood.

Mockingbird Elementary also good. Homes are the M Streets area with lots of variety.

Lipscomb has a very passionate community although its a much, much more diverse makeup than Mockingbird/Lakewood. I know neighbors in Munger and Swiss that love it.

My kid's current school has a lot of kids who initially went to Withers and are big fans. You'd probably want a magnet for MS/HS. Not sure if Kramer also has Spanish immersion, but that's a good one too.

Mata Montessori is a DISD East Dallas school that has dual language, but is a lottery i believe.

I love the Kessler area and would take a strong look at Rosemont as well.

Spanish House now has a small elementary school that participants love - another option too.

I don't think that any of the DISD options have dual language in MS/HS.

Any of these neighborhoods will have a good home value.

Old 02-29-2020, 04:24 PM

Thank you. Do you know how Walnut Hill Elementary compares to Lakewood, Mockingbird? We would like to stay with dual language and they seem to have a strong program and reputation.

We are also choosing between Spanish house and North Dallas Spanish Schoolhouse for nursery school. (Waitlisted for one, waiting for other so may not actually have a choice.) Any recommendations between the two?

Thanks!

Old 02-29-2020, 09:56 PM

618 posts, read 645,858 times
Lakewood and Mockingbird feed into Woodrow Wilson. So - all things considered, the feeder pattern is much stronger there. (Don't look at scores alone - Woodrow has an IB and STEM population that is very high ranking and good arts, etc.) We've been considering moving to a new home, but hate to leave East Dallas and the Woodrow option. (We have a few years before HS).

The Lakewood/East Dallas has a fairly cohesive 'feel' to it - one that I don't think is as replicated in some of the North Dallas neighborhoods.

Walnut Hill is a good school - but many families will choose magnets for MS. The surrounding neighborhood was hit by the recent tornado which would affect home values.

Spanish House is very non-corporate and has a homegrown feel to it (in the best possible way). I remember when it was just a tutoring center and starting a daycare. Now, its a full grown school with a loyal family base.

I'm sure the two Spanish locations are similar in educational quality - but they pull from very different neighborhoods. At the end of the day, I'd pick based upon neighborhood fit. I wouldn't worry so much about getting in Day 1 - as long as you have a backup option -- you'll eventually get into either school.

Old 03-02-2020, 04:13 PM

Default Thank you

Appreciate the insight

Old 03-03-2020, 06:45 PM

216 posts, read 341,586 times
You will do good with the schools that feed into Long/Woodrow. Kinda depends on the 'feel' that you want out of the school/neighborhood. We are in the Mockingbird feeder pattern and now have a kiddo in Long. There is definitely a difference between Mockingbird/Lakewood - but not in a bad way - just different. I love my Lakewood peeps too! East Dallas as 'texasout' said is VERY cohesive and feels very much like a small town - which really pretty cool. I've never lived anywhere like it. We've been very happy here. I don't think you can go wrong if you choose to live within the Woodrow Feeder pattern.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas