Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2020, 10:07 PM

1,530 posts, read 1,409,626 times

Advertisements

Lol, whats this motivation with some of you encouraging people to buy old homes? No one wants one, especially if new homes cost equally the same to some of the old ones. The builders who built your house are the same ones building now so what is the double standard for. It's the same brick, it's the same drywall, same everything.

If one is so concerned about the build quality of a new construction, you just have to stay on top of the construction and hire good private inspectors for a phased inspection. It's really not that difficult, honestly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2020, 10:09 PM

61 posts, read 84,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wittgenstein's Ghost View Post
We are responding to the OP's preference (post #10) for new construction, which is why he or she is looking in Frisco rather than Coppell, Flower Mound and Grapevine.

This is correct! Getting New Construction is the main reason why I was considering Frisco...... If I get similar or slightly lower deal in Coppell, FM, Grapewine etc. then I may probably not consider Frisco as the convenience and airport proximity will win the battle for me.

For the given type of house (new or less than 5 years old), Frisco seems to have many options with newer homes and noticeably cheaper (50K-80K) than the other areas near Airport. The difference in what I can get for the same amount of money making me inclined to Frisco, McKinney area....But, I am not able to convince myself to zero in on Frisco, TX yet... and hence still in dilemma ...

Old 03-03-2020, 11:40 PM

5,827 posts, read 4,160,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitalprophets View Post
Lol, whats this motivation with some of you encouraging people to buy old homes? No one wants one, especially if new homes cost equally the same to some of the old ones.
Yeah, man. That's why the 56 houses currently for sale in Highland Park that are over 50 years old have such little demand. Average price on them is over $3 million since they are so undesirable. Preston Hollow is mostly all new tract housing as well. Who doesn't dream of an endless row of lookalike houses with no real landscaping and zero creativity in design? It's everyone's goal, clearly.

[mod cut]

Quote:
If one is so concerned about the build quality of a new construction, you just have to stay on top of the construction and hire good private inspectors for a phased inspection. It's really not that difficult, honestly.
And neither is basic maintenance .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friends4u View Post
This is correct! Getting New Construction is the main reason why I was considering Frisco...... If I get similar or slightly lower deal in Coppell, FM, Grapewine etc. then I may probably not consider Frisco as the convenience and airport proximity will win the battle for me.

For the given type of house (new or less than 5 years old), Frisco seems to have many options with newer homes and noticeably cheaper (50K-80K) than the other areas near Airport. The difference in what I can get for the same amount of money making me inclined to Frisco, McKinney area....But, I am not able to convince myself to zero in on Frisco, TX yet... and hence still in dilemma ...
I mean this sincerely: I think Frisco sounds like a good fit for you. Personally, I couldn't imagine taking on the drive from Frisco to the airport on a regular basis just so my house could be less than five years old, but different people have different priorities. You know yours better than I do (hence your meaning of "what I can get"). I think you will be hard-pressed to find a place that has a larger number of reasonably affordable new houses in a decent school district than Frisco.

Last edited by RonnieinDallas; 03-04-2020 at 05:15 PM.. Reason: Copyrighted material: unless you took the picture yourself don’t post it. See TOS

Old 03-04-2020, 02:50 AM

1,185 posts, read 749,470 times
Quote:
Lol, whats this motivation with some of you encouraging people to buy old homes? No one wants one, especially if new homes cost equally the same to some of the old ones. The builders who built your house are the same ones building now so what is the double standard for. It's the same brick, it's the same drywall, same everything.

They’re absolutely NOT the same builders, but you’re unable to see past the shiny trinkets.

Old 03-04-2020, 06:05 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,305,920 times
Quote:

Do you REALLY think the same builders who built my house in 1939 are still building houses today?

Old 03-04-2020, 06:15 AM

3,754 posts, read 4,232,884 times
Quote:

You don't have a good grip on the realities of home building.

Ever since the "boom" has hit the area, starting in 2012 or so, every builder has been building as many homes as they can. Well guess what, there is a shortage of GOOD project managers, there's a shortage of GOOD experienced labor as well. It's not that difficult to follow plans to build a house... it IS difficult to do it with an experienced crew who doesn't cut corners, as most home builders are spread very thin on their labor force. That's why some homes get built with a construction manager who is good and catches mistakes, and others get slapped together and will have problems down the road if left uncorrrected.

Having seen what passes for construction these days, I'd pick a home built before the boom vs one built now with all things being equal.

Old 03-04-2020, 07:03 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,305,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katana49 View Post
You don't have a good grip on the realities of home building.

Ever since the "boom" has hit the area, starting in 2012 or so, every builder has been building as many homes as they can. Well guess what, there is a shortage of GOOD project managers, there's a shortage of GOOD experienced labor as well. It's not that difficult to follow plans to build a house... it IS difficult to do it with an experienced crew who doesn't cut corners, as most home builders are spread very thin on their labor force. That's why some homes get built with a construction manager who is good and catches mistakes, and others get slapped together and will have problems down the road if left uncorrrected.

Having seen what passes for construction these days, I'd pick a home built before the boom vs one built now with all things being equal.
Well, my house (and the one posted above) were built well before the last 10 or so booms.

Just as an example my house has 1 x 6 tongue and groove Douglas fir planking on every single interior wall, under the drywall. No Molly Bolts - just drive the nail right on in. What do you mean, "punch a hole in the wall"? Limestone veneer all round, including fossils. Tiles in the bathroom are set in 1.5" of concrete/steel mesh that's perfectly flat and plumb (how on EARTH did they do this?) and it's only the last 10 years or so that there have developed any cracks in the 80 year old tile work. All solid wood six panel doors with the original latches in their ornate nickel plated surrounds and faceted glass doorknobs. And so on, and so on. Oh yes, actual walls with doors, so you can close them and not hear every sound from one end of the house to the other. And this is a very modest house, two bedrooms, one bathroom, 1200 sq. ft. or so.

Old 03-04-2020, 09:51 AM

5,263 posts, read 6,398,312 times
Quote:
Ever since the "boom" has hit the area, starting in 2012 or so, every builder has been building as many homes as they can.
Exactly what boom hit in 2012? LOL. Around 2012 (might have been earlier, I don't feel like looking up the stats), DFW single family homebuilding fell by 50% (where it has mostly remained) since, from 40k homes a year to about 25k a year. The only boom since 2012 has been in large apartment building, which took over for the other 50% that single family housing lost.

Old 03-04-2020, 09:51 AM

Quote:

And yet, you have a thread in the House forum about how to solve the sound issues caused by your cheap cardboard hollow core doors to the office in your shiny new abode.

IT'S BECAUSE THEY USE CRAPPY MATERIALS TO BUILD THOSE CHEAP HOUSES.

Every time you post anything, I'm just reminded of the gif of Sideshow Bob from The Simpsons repeatedly stepping on rakes.

Old 03-04-2020, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOverdog View Post
Exactly what boom hit in 2012? LOL. In 2012, DFW single family homebuilding fell by 50% (where it has mostly remained) since. The only boom since 2012 has been in large apartment building, which took over for the other 50% that single family housing lost.
Your data is false. Vacant lot construction in DFW is up 300% from 2012.

Page 8

https://assets.recenter.tamu.edu/Doc...icles/2120.pdf

Add in extremely relaxed building codes, supply shortages, a lack of licensing requirements in TX and you've got a recipe for a saltbox with shiny tile and granite and garbage behind the wavy walls.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: