Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2020, 10:29 AM

18 posts, read 33,222 times

Advertisements

Hello! I already have a realtor (my sister) but she works primarily in FTW so I plan to do most of the leg work as far as finding a home for us. I'm looking at HPISD specifically in UP. I've done a ton of reading on these forums and also went to SMU so I'm familiar with the area myself. I know that the area between Hillcrest and Preston is considered more desirable than the east and west sides of those streets respectively, but how does the new Boone elementary affect this since it's in the NE corner on the E side of Hillcrest? If you're living within 4-6 blocks of the new Boone elementary, PPSF wise will that be just as desirable in the next 5 years? I'm willing to spend up to $1.5M on a house but I want to be smart about it and I want to be easy walking distance to our elementary.

This house that's currently zoned for Hyer will go to UP elementary in 20-21 so I may be interested in a home like this to renovate. Is it over priced in your opinion? I'm probably not interested in this specific house because it looks like 8' ceilings but I haven't seen it in person yet. Just a more general question, this could be renovated pretty nicely if you could get it for less.
https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...-30206?view=qv

Also - how close is too close to Preston/Hillcrest. I have young children that play in the front yard alllll the time and I want them to be able to run around with friends on the street. So a block in? 5 houses in? This is probably personal preference safety wise. There's a house I like that's 2 houses in from Hillcrest and I'm afraid that's too close to the busy road :-/

Any advice is appreciated!

Last edited by fort.worth.native; 04-16-2020 at 10:46 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2020, 10:56 AM

793 posts, read 1,222,745 times
Not a realtor, just a local who pays some attention. Here's my two cents..

The area between Hillcrest and Preston is more desirable than being super close to the tollway or super close to 75, but I wouldn't put too much weight on it. Being walking distance to elementary is definitely desirable. But there are so many factors. Honestly the biggest "negative" factor to watch out for IMHO is being in the city of Dallas (that includes many houses zoned to Boone). You don't get the level of police and city service you get in UP/HP, and that matters a lot to lots of people.

I do think the area close to Boone will increase in value a little bit with the new school. I know people who have bought double lots and are building larger homes. But, I don't think it will ever be quite as valuable/expensive as the areas close to the other elementary schools.

The house on Purdue...I haven't been inside, but my guess is that it's a bad layout that is hard to fix. I'll bet it sells for $950K-$1M and someone tears it down.

There are occasional good deals under $1.5M, but many are hip pockets. Hopefully your sister/realtor is tied in to the local network through her brokerage or professional contacts.

Good luck!

ETA - 5 houses in from Preston or Hillcrest

Last edited by JTC Mom; 04-16-2020 at 11:04 AM..

Old 04-16-2020, 11:04 AM

Thanks for your 2 cents! And shoot... I was afraid of that. I'd use a local realtor if my sister wasn't one, but that's just not an option. I'll see if she has any contacts that primarily work in HPISD. I'm not sure how else I would get plugged in to the off the market sales.

Something like this would be ideal although a little out of my price range (https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...-15774?view=qv). So cute!!

Old 04-16-2020, 11:11 AM

516 posts, read 451,109 times
Do you have children? If so, just to warn you, money is very important in HP/UP. I had a friend who lived on Purdue as a kid in a house very similar to the one you are looking at. She was terribly bullied by the other kids because her family didn't live in a mansion and lived a more modest living compared to other families. Now, this was more than 10 years ago, so I can't say what the culture is like today.

HP and UP are desirable areas in general and the smaller older homes like this one are typically being torn down to make way for mansions. It is unfortunate though because I think these homes are lovely!

Old 04-16-2020, 11:16 AM

Thanks for your input. I'd update it and prefer to be in something more along the lines of :https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...-15774?view=qv.

Yes I have children. Probably not a rabbit hole I want to jump in, but regardless of how much money we have my children will be raised modestly as far as material possessions. I want to live in a nice house (honestly because that's what makes me happy and I spend most of my time in it) and have my kids in nice schools. People will have more, and people will have less. THta's awful what happened to your friend, I've read on here that there are plenty of down to earth people in UP but of course I'm sure there are people like what you described.

Old 04-16-2020, 11:19 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,298,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fort.worth.native View Post
Thanks for your 2 cents! And shoot... I was afraid of that. I'd use a local realtor if my sister wasn't one, but that's just not an option. I'll see if she has any contacts that primarily work in HPISD. I'm not sure how else I would get plugged in to the off the market sales.

Something like this would be ideal although a little out of my price range (https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...-15774?view=qv). So cute!!
That’s my friend’s house! It’s darling.

Couple of thoughts:

1. The “fairway” between Preston & Hillcrest is more desirable for tear downs because the lots tend to be wider. Lots of 60-75’ lots. The 4000 block listing you posted is sure to be a tear down. Don’t get caught up in thinking it’s more “socially desirable” because it’s really a real estate thing. Tons of families with kids live East of Hillcrest and west of Preston. The majority of Bradfield kids who live south of Mockingbird live in the 4500 block (last block before tollroad). Boone Elementary will be just fine once the rezoning hoopla is over.. There’s no stigma going to “the new school.” Mike Boone’s own son is as Parkie as they come and they live in Boone Elementary district and aren’t selling their home and moving to one of the “original” schools.

2. I wouldn’t rush to buy anything now. I think prices will be considerably lower going into the fall once a full quarter of earnings are impacted.

3. That’s a shame about your sister. Does she at least work for a company that had a big Park Cities presence like a Sotheby’s affiliate? Briggs Freeman and Compass pretty much own the Park Cities market right now.

4. ETA I have a lot of friends who live in the 3400 blocks (just for whatever random reason) and even the one who lives right on the corner of Hillcrest plays outside. Personally for sound and traffic I’d rather be like 3-4 houses in but you do save a lot of money buying on the corner.

Old 04-16-2020, 11:20 AM

793 posts, read 1,222,745 times
This is HP not UP. But it is truly a FABULOUS neighborhood and block. So close to school and Highland Park Village. Tons of kids. The house is old but you'd have to see it to see if it could work for you. It is a great area.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/4...7202540_zpid/?

Old 04-16-2020, 11:22 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,298,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NTXPerson View Post
Do you have children? If so, just to warn you, money is very important in HP/UP. I had a friend who lived on Purdue as a kid in a house very similar to the one you are looking at. She was terribly bullied by the other kids because her family didn't live in a mansion and lived a more modest living compared to other families. Now, this was more than 10 years ago, so I can't say what the culture is like today.

HP and UP are desirable areas in general and the smaller older homes like this one are typically being torn down to make way for mansions. It is unfortunate though because I think these homes are lovely!
I did not grow up in a mansion and was NEVER bullied about money growing up in HPISD. 1990’s graduate, who drove a junky 1980’s car and whose sibling was a Highland Belle Lieutenant.

Old 04-16-2020, 11:36 AM

516 posts, read 451,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
I did not grow up in a mansion and was NEVER bullied about money growing up in HPISD. 1990’s graduate, who drove a junky 1980’s car and whose sibling was a Highland Belle Lieutenant.
That’s wonderful to hear!

Old 04-16-2020, 11:38 AM

JTC - good to know about that neighborhood! That particular house doesn't work for me because I need a back yard. But we're in the right direction!

TurtleCreek - good to know. And your friend has such a cute house!! I can wait until closer to August, I'm just keeping my eye out right now.

I think I will likely stay between Hillcrest and Preston north of Lovers (although I'll watch that other area JTC mentioned). Ideally in UP so I can walk to that nice park and the pool but I wouldn't be opposed to a bit further north and walking to Hyer. I just really like that park and pool.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas