U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Independence Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2020, 12:09 PM

59 posts, read 70,613 times

Advertisements

We have been considering moving to Frisco, TX (from Vegas, NV). In 2018, we saw Frisco ranked as no. 1 place to live in US by Money magazine which attracted our attention to it. It was highly ranked by other magazines/sites as well....

But, now I don't find it even in top 50 anywhere ? I am surprised to find out that a town which was top ranked suddenly not even in top 50 !!

Is Frisco, TX a good place to live and buy home ? (or surrounding area such as Allen, McKinney, Prosper etc)

Another place we have been considering was Raleigh, NC area (Cary or Morrisville)... But we were more inclined towards Frisco, TX...

Any thoughts ?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2020, 12:38 PM

1,405 posts, read 1,028,690 times
We were thinking to move to Morrisville being in proximity to RTP. But ended up moving to Prosper. Plus, schools in Morrisville are not that good if you have kids.

Not sure what number Frisco falls into now. It is better than Morrisville IMO.

One thing I'll save in favor of NC is the green scene which you may not find here on that level.

Old 03-01-2020, 12:39 PM

2,896 posts, read 2,088,516 times
Frisco, Plano, Allen, McKinney, or Prosper are all great places to live but it’s getting expensive.

Old 03-01-2020, 12:42 PM

12,987 posts, read 25,973,251 times
My guess is that the rapidly rising cost of living knocked it off the list last year. But the cost of living is increasing because it’s a business friendly city with great public schools so as long as you have an adequate income, I wouldn’t discount it just because it fell off a Realtor.com sponsored magazine list....

Old 03-01-2020, 02:11 PM

5,138 posts, read 3,214,631 times
Those best places to live lists are garbage. You shouldn't be using those when determining the best place for you to live.

There is nothing attractive about Frisco as a place. What I mean by that is that it is a city people move to because they are working in DFW and are looking for a combination of good schools, a reasonable cost of living and new construction. It has no charm or character or unique qualities beyond the value proposition it offers based on cost of living and proximity to jobs. There's nothing wrong with that -- most cities are like that, and those are the factors most families care about.

Make a list of the things you care about. Come up with a short list of places that meet those requirements. Visit those places and see what you like. That's the best process for this kind of decision. For my wife and I (used to live in DFW, now live in Colorado Springs), we love outdoor recreation (hiking, climbing, mountaineering, mountain biking, etc.) and DFW didn't offer that. If we didn't care about that stuff, DFW would have had a lot of perks. Even within DFW, we very much preferred the cities (FW or Dallas) to suburbia, so Frisco would never have been on our list. But that's the thing -- no one else can make this calculation for you, and you certainly shouldn't be relying on a magazine for this stuff.

Old 03-01-2020, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitalprophets View Post
We were thinking to move to Morrisville being in proximity to RTP. But ended up moving to Prosper. Plus, schools in Morrisville are not that good if you have kids.

Not sure what number Frisco falls into now. It is better than Morrisville IMO.

One thing I'll save in favor of NC is the green scene which you may not find here on that level.

Ok.. thanks for the response. Schools are definitely a big criteria for us as we have two kids (11 and 9 years). Did not know that schools in Morrisville or Cary in NC are not as good as Frisco or Prosper area !

Thanks for the information.

Old 03-01-2020, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wittgenstein's Ghost View Post
Those best places to live lists are garbage. You shouldn't be using those when determining the best place for you to live.

There is nothing attractive about Frisco as a place. What I mean by that is that it is a city people move to because they are working in DFW and are looking for a combination of good schools, a reasonable cost of living and new construction. It has no charm or character or unique qualities beyond the value proposition it offers based on cost of living and proximity to jobs. There's nothing wrong with that -- most cities are like that, and those are the factors most families care about.

Make a list of the things you care about. Come up with a short list of places that meet those requirements. Visit those places and see what you like. That's the best process for this kind of decision. For my wife and I (used to live in DFW, now live in Colorado Springs), we love outdoor recreation (hiking, climbing, mountaineering, mountain biking, etc.) and DFW didn't offer that. If we didn't care about that stuff, DFW would have had a lot of perks. Even within DFW, we very much preferred the cities (FW or Dallas) to suburbia, so Frisco would never have been on our list. But that's the thing -- no one else can make this calculation for you, and you certainly shouldn't be relying on a magazine for this stuff.

That makes lot of sense.
I don't work in DFW area but my job is Monday - Thursday traveling at client sites which could be anywhere in US. So, its better for me to stay near a major airport which can get me direct flights to majority of places in USA. I currently live in Vegas but it does not offer good education after a point and also travel to east coast is pain. Looking at those aspects along with Kids education and reasonable cost of living I selected few places (Frisco, TX, Cary/Morrisville, NC, Atlanta, GA, Austin, TX etc.). Based on information I could see on the internet, Frisco seemed a like a good option and hence trying to dig deeper before I make a trip over there to get a feel for the area.

Thanks a log for your response.

Old 03-01-2020, 04:52 PM

11,249 posts, read 7,141,491 times
Yep, in just two years Frisco has declined from the land of milk and honey to a horrible wasteland.

Old 03-01-2020, 05:12 PM

3,244 posts, read 3,620,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Friends4u View Post
That makes lot of sense.
I don't work in DFW area but my job is Monday - Thursday traveling at client sites which could be anywhere in US. So, its better for me to stay near a major airport which can get me direct flights to majority of places in USA. I currently live in Vegas but it does not offer good education after a point and also travel to east coast is pain. Looking at those aspects along with Kids education and reasonable cost of living I selected few places (Frisco, TX, Cary/Morrisville, NC, Atlanta, GA, Austin, TX etc.). Based on information I could see on the internet, Frisco seemed a like a good option and hence trying to dig deeper before I make a trip over there to get a feel for the area.

Thanks a log for your response.
Don’t know your budget but if weekly flights out of DFW is a must, then I wouldn’t bother with Frisco. I would look in Flower Mound, Grapevine, Coppell. Schools just as good and better, MUCH better commute to the airport. Frisco is good if you work in the Plano Legacy area, not the airport.

Old 03-01-2020, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biafra4life View Post
Don’t know your budget but if weekly flights out of DFW is a must, then I wouldn’t bother with Frisco. I would look in Flower Mound, Grapevine, Coppell. Schools just as good and better, MUCH better commute to the airport. Frisco is good if you work in the Plano Legacy area, not the airport.

My budget is around 500K... I initially looked at the housing options near airport in the Coppell, Flower mound, Grapevine etc. but there are no new houses (which I would prefer if possible) and even the older houses seem to be way pricier than Frisco area. In Coppell there are few new communities being build (for ex, Park side) adjacent to the DFW airport... But, I get lots of -ve view about it as it's not a good location except proximity to airport. Same with another one by Stone gate.... But, I am still continuing my search there...

Thanks....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: