Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2008, 05:05 PM

73 posts, read 222,748 times

Advertisements

Momof2, do you live in Firewheel? If so, please tell me about it. I also need to know what the range of house prices are. Like I said, we aren't rich, but at the same time we do want a family friendly, clean and safe place for our kids to plant their feet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2008, 05:06 PM

By the way, thanks to all for all suggestions and help and I am continuing to research. The pointers are really helping me and will help maximize our time when we come out for our visit.

Old 04-24-2008, 05:16 PM

1,004 posts, read 3,754,879 times
The Firewheel area is really, really nice and has the benefit of a much better commute to Dallas compared to from Plano. It is still not ideal from a commute point of view, though.
I'll PM you an example of a house that is listed at $189900 (not affiliated whatsoever) in a golf-course community in Firewheel (posting the link in this message is against the forum rules, unfortunately).

Old 04-24-2008, 05:18 PM

Thanks Galore. Also, what would the property taxes be on 189K?

Old 04-24-2008, 05:25 PM

For the Firewheel property that I emailed you the link, it is approx. $4100/year

You can get detailed tax info for Dallas County properties at Dallas Central Appraisal District. For other counties, follow the links at Dallas Central Appraisal District.

Old 04-24-2008, 05:44 PM

*BREATHLESS* Galore, thanks so much for your links. This helped more than anything so far. The Firewheel house was incredible and I MUST have it (or something like it). Now I am completely smitten. I am asking my hubby tonight if he can speed up his relo situation. Not thrilled about the taxes though. Ouch. But, I would rather pay the stinkin' taxes than live in the armpit where I am now. Again, many thanks.

Old 04-24-2008, 06:21 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,873,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistyseaocean View Post
*BREATHLESS* Galore, thanks so much for your links. This helped more than anything so far. The Firewheel house was incredible and I MUST have it (or something like it). Now I am completely smitten. I am asking my hubby tonight if he can speed up his relo situation. Not thrilled about the taxes though. Ouch. But, I would rather pay the stinkin' taxes than live in the armpit where I am now. Again, many thanks.
Yes, I live in Firewheel. I LOVE IT!!!!!!! VERY family friendly and if the house that Galore sent you is the one I know of that is THE spot in Firewheel for kids to go trick-or-treating. The neighbors all put out tables in their FRONT YARDS and decorate them for the kids to go to. At Christmas that WHOLE little area would use the red plastic cups and put them over the white lights around their yards. Not as many do it now as some have moved on. It is one of the first areas built in Firewheel and is all custom homes. Many of them have HUGE trees (native trees to that spot and builders built around them). Walk to the elem. school right there. It is the neighborhood that the 1st graders go on their "walk" one morning every year. It is a BIG THING for them. The parents that live there will stand out in their yards and wave at them. Field trips are a caravan of cars behind the buses as well at the school. VERY involved school and parents (some are a lil too much for me though ). Only negative about some of the houses over in that area is the small backyards. Not all of them but some. Not many houses go on the market in this area and the only reason they stay on the market and not sale is if they are not updated and not well taken care of. Otherwise if the house is updated and **** and span beautiful you can list it at the top of the market and it will be SOLD!

The area is really growing. We have the "new" mall (new as in 2 1/2 years now) w/ Firewheel Town Center. TONS of new restaurants opening up all the time. The kids LOVE the mall as it is outdoors and so do we on really great days. It is not NEAR as crowded as Plano over here. More trees and open spaces. Forest Preserve (Spring Creek) right here as well as the golf course. The Bridges has a great Sunday Brunch buffet. OH, and the Firewheel Mom's Club hosts a annual Easter Egg Hunt at The Bridges Golf Clubhouse every year. TONS OF FUN! As well as an annual Fall Fest over at the Main Firewheel Clubhouse. (The Bridges is the newest of the Firewheel Golf Course and is located on Brand Rd. The main Firewheel Clubhouse is located on Campbell between N. Garland Ave and Brand). We have everything you could need right here at your fingertips w/o having to fight a lot of crowds and traffic.

If your husband hears that 75-Central is backed up one day he can take the backroads and be home in no time as well. It is VERY EASY to get to anywhere from here w/o having to live smack dab in the middle of it. BTW, I have an aunt and uncle that lived in West Plano for the last 20+ years until they moved to Florida 4 years ago. They came back w/in two years and bought a house in Firewheel on the golf course. THEY LOVE IT and now are trying to get their children to move over here out of Central Plano. They happen to live in the area of homes that would be in your price range over there.

Oh, and Garland has the annual Star Spangled 4th of July every year. Granted I much preferred the old one downtown on the square that went on for 3-4 days but oh well. Now they have it at Firewheel Town Center for one day and there is a concert w/ a big name act in the evening. The fireworks show can be seen from our living room. Firewheel Town Center also has a fireworks show every Saturday night during the month of December. We just get the lawn chairs in the front yard and let the kids ride their bikes while we all watch the fireworks.

BTW, here is a link to a thread I started with pictures taken around this area. Most are of the Firewheel area and a few in the downtown Garland area.
Pics taken around my area

Old 04-24-2008, 06:23 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,873,839 times
WHAT????
The word s p i c got edited out???? So something is "squeaky clean" that is a term to use?????

Old 04-24-2008, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
Yes, I live in Firewheel. I LOVE IT!!!!!!! VERY family friendly and if the house that Galore sent you is the one I know of that is THE spot in Firewheel for kids to go trick-or-treating.
It's on Sunningdale in Firewheel Farms. I am actually totally amazed that this house goes for $189900. That community is really nice. Check it out on Google Maps Streetview:
6209 sunningdale, garland, tx - Google Maps

Old 04-24-2008, 07:15 PM

3,820 posts, read 8,746,551 times
Oh, we love that neighborhood! And DSD has done the TOT over there as well. Totally recommend it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas