Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2020, 04:27 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,282,852 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitalprophets View Post
The question is, are we still recession proof after this pandemic hit?
Not recession proof but one of the best places you’d want to be coming out of a recession.

We have a diverse economy and a ton of forward momentum so it will be easier to get the economy going again here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2020, 06:26 PM

1,315 posts, read 2,679,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
Not recession proof but one of the best places you’d want to be coming out of a recession.

We have a diverse economy and a ton of forward momentum so it will be easier to get the economy going again here.
Absolutely.There are a number of metro areas that will ride this out much better than others.I would put DFW at #1.We are privileged to live and work in DFW from an economic standpoint during a situation like this.Examples of places you do not want to be...

Connecticut
New Jersey
New York
California

Old 03-12-2020, 07:41 PM

8,114 posts, read 3,663,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I bought in 2010 whilst shopping 2007-2010.
The inventory was low and almost every property we wanted devolved into a bidding war.
Location, location...
Well, we also bought in 2010, after shopping for a couple of years but again it was cheaper than the years prior. Yes, the inventory was low, since a lot of people could not accept the fact that the values have gone down.

Old 03-12-2020, 08:03 PM

5,827 posts, read 4,162,578 times
Quote:
The question is, are we still recession proof after this pandemic hit?
Nowhere is recession proof. This phrase is so over-used.

Old 03-12-2020, 08:24 PM

1,530 posts, read 1,409,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wittgenstein's Ghost View Post
I'm with you. OP thinks NTX is.

Old 03-14-2020, 10:48 AM

1,315 posts, read 2,679,239 times
Quote:
I'm with you. OP thinks NTX is.
While there is no metro area statistically probable of being 100% recession proof...In my opinion,other than the DC metro area,there is no place in better shape to ride out something like this from an economic standpoint than DFW.

Places like Connecticut and New Jersey for example,were literally ready to unravel economically before this major event.If I am a tax payer in either of those states,I am feeling nervous right now.

Old 03-14-2020, 06:59 PM

3,141 posts, read 2,043,923 times
It depends.

In the case of if an extended recession were to hit north Texas as a result of covid-19, my guess is that the area would probably do worse than the national economy as a whole because even though the economy there is diverse, there are still quite a few notable sectors in which DFW is overrepresented when compared to the overall national economy. Those sectors are aviation and airlines (which will be the single biggest hit industry in the aftermath of the coronavirus pandemic), energy (the second biggest industry hit) and surface transportation/logistics (which is reliant on a healthy national economy for growth). There is also large corporate presence and corporate jobs often are reduced quickly during a recession.

The great recession didn't hit DFW as hard as places like Atlanta and Chicago because at the time, the shale and fracking boom was underway and that provided a bit of a buffer against further economic deterioration. It's obviously not Houston, but energy is still a very large sector in DFW with a few major players there.

I don't expect an extended recession as a result of this covid-19 situation but if that were to happen, I'd definitely expect DFW to fare comparatively worse than it did during the last one, maybe among the worst for large metros in the country. Energy saved the area last time but that wouldnt happen this time around for obvious reasons.

In the case of a more "normal" recession, I'd expect the area to do about as well as the country as a whole, perhaps slightly better as long as the regions largest economic sectors aren't disproportionately affected.

Old 03-14-2020, 08:03 PM

5,827 posts, read 4,162,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW747 View Post
While there is no metro area statistically probable of being 100% recession proof...In my opinion,other than the DC metro area,there is no place in better shape to ride out something like this from an economic standpoint than DFW.
That's a totally different claim than saying a place is recession proof.

Old 03-14-2020, 09:21 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,371,084 times
Nothing is recession proof.

Old 03-15-2020, 02:39 PM

95 posts, read 163,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wittgenstein's Ghost View Post
Amen! Lots of folks believing said nonsense. There are so many variables involved... once they converge chaos may ensue? It's like the following: "He doesn't bite." Um, he can bite, but the variables for him to bite just haven't converged. "It isn't in a flood plane." It may not be, but that doesn't mean the variables which led to that conclusion haven't changed. It it rains enough then anything can flood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: