Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2020, 06:44 PM

5,842 posts, read 4,171,909 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by biafra4life View Post
Yet I keep reading that the worst is over here in the US? I know the New York governor said so about his state. California, Washington and Oregon are now talking about re opening their states. So who exactly is still in bad shape?
Everyone is in bad shape. The only thing that might have peaked is new daily cases. New daily deaths might have peaked today as well, but we don't know that. That is reason to think there's light at the end of the tunnel, but we're still likely a month away from peak virus (peak active cases). It's likely that less than half of the people who will die from this in the US have died, and fewer than half of the total cases we will have have happened. Whether all that means the worst is over is probably in the eye of the beholder.

Like I said, Italy peaked in terms of new daily cases 3.5 weeks ago, and they still haven't hit peak active cases.

Last edited by Wittgenstein's Ghost; 04-14-2020 at 06:54 PM..

Old 04-14-2020, 09:04 PM

3,754 posts, read 4,239,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biafra4life View Post
Yet I keep reading that the worst is over here in the US? I know the New York governor said so about his state. California, Washington and Oregon are now talking about re opening their states. So who exactly is still in bad shape?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wittgenstein's Ghost View Post
Everyone is in bad shape. The only thing that might have peaked is new daily cases. New daily deaths might have peaked today as well, but we don't know that. That is reason to think there's light at the end of the tunnel, but we're still likely a month away from peak virus (peak active cases). It's likely that less than half of the people who will die from this in the US have died, and fewer than half of the total cases we will have have happened. Whether all that means the worst is over is probably in the eye of the beholder.

Like I said, Italy peaked in terms of new daily cases 3.5 weeks ago, and they still haven't hit peak active cases.

This. People keep reading that the worst is over here because we're starting to see a proliferation of news articles from people wanting to open the country back up who don't possess any basic math or reasoning skills.

Our peak in TX was anticipated to be this week or next week, so if we're on target with that, that was accomplished solely by adherence to strict social distancing. If we go back to business as usual while there are still plenty of active cases, we'll have a second wave that could potentially even be worse than the first one.

Old 04-14-2020, 09:21 PM

8,142 posts, read 3,674,077 times
Quote:
Back to the coronavirus in DFW: Unfortunately, today looks to have been the worst day death-wise for both Texas and the country so far. Texas had 50 deaths, and the country as a whole had over 2,400. This is not too surprising considering the biggest individual case days for Texas were about a week ago (daily new cases around 1300), and nearly every state that has had daily new case figures over 1,000 has had a day like this. The good news is that I do think new daily cases have peaked, both in Texas and the US, so I'm hopeful that today was the worst day death-wise that we will see.

I do have concerns that we will have a very long and not-so-steep downslope, though. Italy peak in terms of new daily cases on March 21 (3.5 weeks ago!) and still hasn't peaked in terms of active cases. Flatting the curve is a great thing, but it does produce a longer (albeit lower) peak, hence it being described as "flat."

Side note: I do think it's interesting that the government projection showed a peak daily deaths estimate of around 2,500, and that was when they were projecting 100-250k deaths. We are already to 26k, and if we are going to have a long and slow downslope, I'm curious how they foresee keeping the figure to 60k.

I heard that NYC revised their numbers today: previously unaccounted fatalities, who were never tested or didn't have a confirmed positive test. But the indications were they died from the virus.

I don't know if this has been reflected yet in the numbers for the country or not.

Old 04-14-2020, 09:56 PM

5,842 posts, read 4,171,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by serger View Post
I heard that NYC revised their numbers today: previously unaccounted fatalities, who were never tested or didn't have a confirmed positive test. But the indications were they died from the virus.

I don't know if this has been reflected yet in the numbers for the country or not.
I believe they have been accounted for in the cumulative totals, but they were not added to any specific day's totals. So, that's baked into the 26k total death figure but not the 2400+ daily figure. NYC reported 788 deaths today, so they certainly didn't add the 3,000+ revision to today's daily figures.

Old 04-14-2020, 09:58 PM

609 posts, read 264,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katana49 View Post
This. People keep reading that the worst is over here because we're starting to see a proliferation of news articles from people wanting to open the country back up who don't possess any basic math or reasoning skills.

Our peak in TX was anticipated to be this week or next week, so if we're on target with that, that was accomplished solely by adherence to strict social distancing. If we go back to business as usual while there are still plenty of active cases, we'll have a second wave that could potentially even be worse than the first one.
I could see Texas economy opening back up the first week of May.

I don't see Texas ever becoming like New York. It is too spread out. Although I wonder if Houston could be a trouble zone.

Old 04-15-2020, 12:38 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,295,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carrcollie View Post
I could see Texas economy opening back up the first week of May.

I don't see Texas ever becoming like New York. It is too spread out. Although I wonder if Houston could be a trouble zone.
Can you see Texas being like Louisiana, rural Georgia, Detroit, or Colorado’s ski towns? Because all of those places have also had sky high COVID-19 cases. One funeral in rural Georgia caused hundreds of cases and dozens of deaths. One dinner party attendee in Connecticut who didn’t even know they had COVID-19 caused 40+ cases.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nyt...orgia.amp.html

COVID is highly contagious. Our numbers aren’t sky high in Texas because social distancing works. Take that safety net away and boom- we have a major problem on our hands in 10-14 days’ time.

Texas ain’t opening May 1st.

Old 04-15-2020, 03:13 AM

578 posts, read 479,068 times
Quote:
Unfortunately, today looks to have been the worst day death-wise for both Texas and the country so far. Texas had 50 deaths
worldometers has been using Texas DSHS data, which reported 295 deaths in Texas on 4/13.
https://web.archive.org/web/20200414...us/country/us/

On 4/14 worldometers suddenly switched to an unlisted source that reported 345 deaths, and that's where the "50" deaths comes from.
https://web.archive.org/web/20200415...us/country/us/

As of now DSHS is still reporting 318 deaths, or 23 new deaths on 4/14. It is worth noting that the daily fatality number in Texas (about twenty-five) has peaked for a week.

Now, it is possible that DSHS has been under-reporting by 10% and some other sources may be more accurate, but you don't just switch between different sources to create an artificial spike of 50 deaths a day.

Old 04-15-2020, 07:11 AM

451 posts, read 320,315 times
On Wednesday, April 15, 2020, 12:48:03 AM EDT, Johnson, Eric <eric.johnson@dallascityhall.com> wrote:

Dear City of Dallas Partner —

Below are the latest updates from the City of Dallas on our COVID-19 response:

Positive Cases of COVID-19 in North Texas

1,877 in Dallas County (89 are new) and 42 deaths
929 in Tarrant County and 29 deaths
521 in Denton County and 14 deaths
477 in Collin County and 10 deaths
83 in Ellis County and 3 deaths
37 in Rockwall County
29 in Kaufman County

Hospital Reports

Here are the bed and ventilator capacity statistics as reported by 25 hospitals in the City of Dallas:

Total beds: 5,771
Beds occupied: 2,888 (50%)
Total ICU beds: 854
ICU beds occupied: 485 (57%)
Total ventilators: 931
Ventilators in use: 290 (31%)

COVID-19 Lab Reports

As of 6:15 p.m. the City of Dallas Office of Emergency Management has received a report from seven labs. Below are the numbers for today, Tuesday, April 14, 2020:

177 COVID-19 tests
15 positive
165 negative

Testing numbers from labs to date

Dallas County has reported at least two recovered COVID-19 cases, however the exact number of patients who have been released from area hospitals to continue their recovery at home is not available at this time.

Total tests to date by Dallas County Health and Human Services
Total tests to date private labs*
Total negative tests to date*
Total active cases
Total deaths
*Numbers since March 13, 2020, the date the order requiring public and private labs in Dallas to report their COVID-19 tests went into effect

Community-Based Testing Sites
The numbers reported from the two community-based testing sites for April 13 are as follows:

American Airlines Center
Ellis Davis Field House
Total number of visitors: 262
Total number of visitors: 171
Total tested: 247
Total tested: 166

311 Covid-19 Call and Service Report (SR) Data

Data Set
Value
Notes
New 311 COVID-19 Calls Received Today

Total 311 COVID-19 Calls Received to Date
Since March 13, 2020
New Emergency Regulations SRs Received Today (General)

Total Emergency Regulations SRs Received to Date (General)
Since March 17, 2020
New Emergency Regulations SRs Received Today (Parks only)

Total Emergency Regulations SRs Received to Date (Parks only)
Since March 20, 2020

Mayor’s Updates

I am encouraging everyone in the City of Dallas to join me for a citywide ovation for workers on the front lines during the COVID-19 pandemic. Everyone is encouraged to step outside their front doors for 5 minutes at 7 p.m. Thursday night and cheer for health care workers, police officers, firefighters, park rangers, code officers, workers providing essential services, and all others who are helping the City of Dallas respond to the spread of the coronavirus.

We have heroes among us, and they deserve to know they have supporters all around them. Learn more about the citywide ovation in this press release and on CBS.

In case you missed it: Last week, I announced the formation of the Mayor’s Task Force on COVID-19 Economic Recovery and named Richard W. Fisher, the former President of the Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas, as its chairman. This pandemic will end, and when it does, we must be prepared to revitalize the Dallas economy as quickly as possible. More information about this new task force aimed at can be found in Fox 4, the Dallas Morning News, KRLD, WFAA, KERA, Focus Daily News, and in this press release.

City Operations

The Office of Innovation and Dallas 311 established a COVID-19 resource hotline. The hotline is 214-670-INFO and is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Please note the hotline is automated.
Please share the graphic in English and Spanish.
The contract for wrap-around services at the Federal Medical Station (FMS) will be discussed by Dallas County Commissioners tomorrow.
The Census Bureau has informed the Office of Strategic Partnerships and Government Affairs they are extending their Census self-response deadline to October 31.
The Office of Homeless Solutions (OHS) continues their operations of a temporary, overnight shelter at the Kay Bailey Hutchison Convention Center (KBHCC). Last night the KBHCC housed 360 overnight guests.
OHS is also utilizing hotel rooms to house persons in need of quarantine or persons on the “priority housing” list. Last night 100 people received shelter at local hotels.
Here are links to the latest FAQ documents regarding essential businesses for the stay-at-home orders: English & Spanish

Updates from Dallas County

Dallas County created an interactive map of COVID-19 cases by zip code. The map can be viewed here, https://covid-analytics-pccinnovation.hub.arcgis.com/
Today Dallas County Health and Human Services (DCHHS) reported 89 additional positive cases of COVID-19, bringing the total case count in Dallas County to 1,877.
Ten deaths were reported today, with ages ranging from 30s to 80s. Some of those deaths were elderly residing in a long-term care facility and were later taken to an area hospital.
Of cases requiring hospitalization, most (69%) have been either over 60 years of age or have had at least one known high-risk chronic health condition.
Diabetes has been an underlying high-risk health condition reported in about a third (30%) of all hospitalized patients with COVID-19.
As of 4/10, 873 of the Dallas County cases live in the City of Dallas. (about 60%)
More information about the cases can be found here.

Updates from Collin County

There are 8 new cases of COVID-19 in Collin County today, as of 3:45 p.m.
There are 190 current cases of COVID-19 in Collin County (total cases minus recovered and deceased).
There have been 477 total confirmed positive cases of COVID-19 in Collin County.
277 people have successfully recovered; 21 are hospitalized; 169 remain in home isolation.
There have been 10 confirmed deaths associated with COVID-19 in Collin County.
There have been 2,598 negative COVID-19 tests in Collin County.
There are 812 Persons Under Monitoring (PUM) in Collin County.
More information on the cases can be found here.

Updates from Denton County

Denton County Public Health (DCPH) has announced one additional Denton County resident has died as a result of COVID-19, bringing the total to 14 deaths due to COVID-19 in Denton County. The patient, a male resident of Denton Rehabilitation Center over 80, was a previously reported hospitalized, contact related COVID-19 case in Denton County.
DCPH is also announcing 14 new laboratory-confirmed cases of COVID-19 in Denton County. This increases the cumulative, countywide total to 521 confirmed COVID-19 cases.
22 of Denton County individuals confirmed to have COVID-19 live in the City of Dallas. 11 of these individuals have recovered according to Denton County health officials. Additional information about the cases can be found here.

Updates from the State

Governor Greg Abbott announced that Goldman Sachs would be providing $50 million in loans to small businesses in the state to help deal with the economic consequences of COVID-19. Learn more about the announcement here.

Updates from Federal Partners

The United States Department of the Treasury released guidance on how Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and. Economic Security (CARES) Act funds can be spent by local governments. The City of Dallas is eligible to receive funds from the Act along with other municipalities with 500,000 people or more.

The Office of Senator John Cornyn has shared information on the federal Payroll Protection Program. Small businesses, self-employed individuals, nonprofit organizations, and other entities are eligible for low-interest loans to help cover payroll costs, healthcare benefits, salaries, rent, utilities, and other costs. Applications are open now. Information on how to apply and more information about the program can be found here.

The Office of Congressman Allred has put together a Small Business Resource Guide with information on resources for businesses being offered by the federal government. Check out the guide here.

Wrongful Eviction Assistance

Dallas County established a tenant helpline for tenants who have been evicted despite the order or who are pending eviction. Before reaching out residents are advised of the following:
Tenants engaged in criminal activity or causing an imminent threat to health and safety may be subject to eviction prior to the aforementioned date.
Tenants maintain responsibility for paying their rent.
Tenants are encouraged to contact their landlord and make sure they are aware when eviction moratoriums are in place.
When having difficulty paying rent, tenants should attempt to make payments and/or establish a payment schedule with their landlord.

Information about the initial order suspending evictions, is available in English and Spanish at: https://www.dallascounty.org/covid-1...nt-hotline.php
Email: Tenanthotline@dallascounty.org | Call: 214-653-6563 or 833-743-0072

Additionally, here are some frequently asked questions for landlords and tenants about the orders halting evictions that are in effect in the City of Dallas: Spanish and English.

Food Assistance Needed

Dallas County and the North Texas Food Bank have announced they are launching a virtual food bank. This will help to fill in the gaps created by a lack of state and federal funding for food access. Donations instead of food are being encouraged and can be made by visiting Coronavirus (COVID-19) | Ways to Help or http://ntfb.org/give. This link has more information on the program.

Dallas Resident Resource Guides

There are a number of resources available to residents and businesses impacted by the emergency regulations that have been put in place to slow the spread of COVID-19. The City of Dallas has created a Resident Resource Guide with information on:

Rental assistance;
Filing for unemployment;
Connecting displaced workers to jobs;
Food assistance;
Help paying utilities (note: most utility disconnections have been halted during this time);
Mental health resources;
Business loan information; and
Other key resources.

The guide is available in both English and Spanish:
Dallas Residents Resource Guide
COVID-19 Guia de Recursos para Residentes 3 de Abril

Childcare for Essential Workers

Frontline Child Care provides information on childcare options for Dallas’ frontline workers. The site was launched by Governor Greg Abbott and various state agencies to make sure those still working through this pandemic have access to childcare. Check out the site here.

Dallas Regional Chamber Resources

The Dallas Regional Chamber has set up a site for additional resources for residents and businesses, including information on various state and federal programs. Check out their resource guide here and their site to connect displaced workers to employment opportunities during the pandemic here.

United Way Income Resource Guides

United Way of Metropolitan Dallas has put together a list of resources available to Dallas area residents in English and Spanish. Resources include the North Texas Food Bank’s open food pantries, tax filing information, and job opportunities.

Senior Source Resources

This is the link to the Senior Source’s COVID-19 resource guide. The guide includes information for seniors, including information on specific grocery store hours dedicated to seniors, and guidance for those who are caring for seniors during the pandemic.

If you have more questions about COVID-19, including what you should do if you believe you might have the virus, check out the City's web page, City of Dallas : Coronavirus (COVID-19).

Please share this update. The official page to sign up to receive this newsletter is here.

Stay safe, stay healthy, and stay informed.

Sincerely,

Eric Johnson
Mayor
City of Dallas
eric.johnson@dallascityhall.com
(214) 670-3301

Old 04-15-2020, 07:12 AM

4,232 posts, read 6,907,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
Can you see Texas being like Louisiana, rural Georgia, Detroit, or Colorado’s ski towns? Because all of those places have also had sky high COVID-19 cases. One funeral in rural Georgia caused hundreds of cases and dozens of deaths. One dinner party attendee in Connecticut who didn’t even know they had COVID-19 caused 40+ cases.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nyt...orgia.amp.html

COVID is highly contagious. Our numbers aren’t sky high in Texas because social distancing works. Take that safety net away and boom- we have a major problem on our hands in 10-14 days’ time.

Texas ain’t opening May 1st.
100%.

I'm curious what someone is seeing that I am not when they say they see Texas opening May 1st...

Old 04-15-2020, 07:12 AM

451 posts, read 320,315 times
City of Dallas Mayor’s Updates

I am encouraging everyone in the City of Dallas to join me for a citywide ovation for workers on the front lines during the COVID-19 pandemic. Everyone is encouraged to step outside their front doors for 5 minutes at 7 p.m. Thursday night and cheer for health care workers, police officers, firefighters, park rangers, code officers, workers providing essential services, and all others who are helping the City of Dallas respond to the spread of the coronavirus.

We have heroes among us, and they deserve to know they have supporters all around them. Learn more about the citywide ovation in this press release and on CBS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas