Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2020, 09:11 AM

8,134 posts, read 3,671,773 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDContribuitor View Post
Just want to make sure that people understand what hospitalization numbers mean. Hospitals report the % of normal beds and ICU beds occupied as their main hospitalization numbers. So when Dallas reports 70% (around 4200) out of total 6000 beds available, that includes covid and non-covid patients. The covid specific data reported for Dallas county shows that covid related hospitalizations are less than 500, which is around 8% of the total beds available. And it has remained at that number for a month.

Another point with regards to rise in hospitalizations is that many people had postponed/rescheduled their surgeries and other procedures since March. Basically, non-covid patients were not going to the hospitals for surgeries, etc. for almost 3 months. So surge in hospitalizations, I suspect, is non-covid related.

Having said the above, I would suggest that each one of you follow closely the numbers for your own county. I am skeptical about the numbers reported at the state level - are the data being consolidated at the state level being audited for errors? I continue to be skeptical about the new positive case numbers and making inferences based on those numbers.

Numbers from yesterday:
Confirmed Positive Cases of COVID-19 in North Texas

18,135 in Dallas County (391 are new) & 328 deaths (4 are new)
9,846 in Tarrant County (460 are new) & 215 deaths (4 are new) (4,682 recovered)
2,417 in Denton County (115 are new) & 37 deaths (1 is new) (1,087 recovered)
2,449 in Collin County (90 are new) & 39 deaths (1 is new) (1,369 recovered)
684 in Ellis County & 19 deaths
276 in Rockwall County & 16 deaths
490 in Kaufman County & 4 deaths

To view a chart showing how the cases have increased over time, please see the City of Dallas dashboard here.

Hospital Reports

Here are the bed and ventilator capacity statistics for today as reported by 25 hospitals in the City of Dallas:

Total beds: 6083
Beds occupied: 4173 (69%)
Total ICU beds: 942
ICU beds occupied: 675 (72%)
Total ventilators: 959
Ventilators in use: 352 (37%)
I don't understand, the data you are quoting says 69% occupied? Why do you say "available"?

https://www.texastribune.org/2020/06...s-greg-abbott/

It's getting worse by the day

Old 06-25-2020, 09:27 AM

451 posts, read 320,216 times
Sorry, my bad, I meant 70% occupied, not available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by serger View Post
I don't understand, the data you are quoting says 69% occupied? Why do you say "available"?

https://www.texastribune.org/2020/06...s-greg-abbott/

It's getting worse by the day

Old 06-25-2020, 09:54 AM

28,666 posts, read 18,779,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biafra4life View Post
yep, just as parents are now wrestling with the dilemma over whether to send their kids back to school this fall. The hits just keep on coming

IMO, it depends a lot on the adults who live with those kids and the health of those adults. If those adults are elderly, have high blood pressure, are obese, diabetic or pre-diabetic...risky.

There is hardly a doubt that school children will bring covid-19 back home with them.

Old 06-25-2020, 10:56 AM

Please watch the press conference video within the following link, on the latest status on testing.
https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/coronavi...esday/2394826/

Old 06-25-2020, 11:10 AM

13,480 posts, read 8,378,016 times
There are people in Texas who continue to call wearing masks "communism" and disseminate pseudo-scientific information about how wearing masks is harmful all over social media. We have a profound level of ignorance here in Texas. It's going to get worse. The USA is the ONLY country in the world where people widely object to wearing masks.

But I will say, if you are one of those who refuses to wear a mask in public, please don't expect Children's Hospital in Texas to make space for you as a covid patient (as they are currently having to do now, taking in adult covid patients due to overflow in other hospitals). You don't deserve to be there. You weren't taking precautions and weren't trying to keep others safe, either.

Old 06-25-2020, 11:30 AM

6,345 posts, read 8,117,682 times
Governor Abbott issues executive order to halt elective surgery in Bexas, Dallas, Harris, and Travis counties.
If you need elective surgery, it will have to be done at Tarrant, Denton, Collin, or other surrounding county. There will be a huge backlog, if you don't get in soon.

Governor Abbott Halts Elective Surgeries in Large Cities as COVID-19 Fills Up Hospitals
https://www.kxan.com/news/coronaviru...-up-hospitals/

Old 06-25-2020, 11:30 AM

123 posts, read 173,431 times
I would not say Dr Fauci is the best scientist in the world. His initial refusal of advising public to wear mask and the later explanation are troublesome or even disastrous. He may underestimate the virus at that time and he expected that he will get significant pushback from people if he mandate the mask wearing in US.

QUOTE=Ralph_Kirk;58471352]It would have helped if Fauci had not started with the lie that masks were useless.[/quote]

Old 06-25-2020, 11:35 AM

13,480 posts, read 8,378,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhappybird View Post
I would not say Dr Fauci is the best scientist in the world. His initial refusal of advising public to wear mask and the later explanation are troublesome or even disastrous. .
[/quote]

It was disastrous. They didn't want the public to buy face masks because they were worried health care providers wouldn't get any, so they lied and said face masks were not effective. It was a dirty lie. Besides, the public should be able buy whatever they want, and if that means some healthcare providers don't get masks, then so be it. I think it was arrogant to tell the public not to buy masks and try to lie and say they weren't effective. Now that lie is meaning a lot more deaths in the USA.

Old 06-25-2020, 11:48 AM

227 posts, read 223,092 times
Freedom seems to be have all sorts of meaning here... This case is so scary. Seems like they took all precautions and did their best but still got infected

https://www.kvue.com/article/news/no...e-f4437fe6f836

Old 06-25-2020, 11:53 AM

My personal opinion - Have masks mandate only for counties where the numbers are high. Having a blanket mask mandate for the whole state is what is making this mask issue political and contentious. That is what Texas Governor is getting at.

If you break the state wide numbers into individual counties and maybe even at a zip-code level, that will give the information needed to decide what counties need a mask mandate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
There are people in Texas who continue to call wearing masks "communism" and disseminate pseudo-scientific information about how wearing masks is harmful all over social media. We have a profound level of ignorance here in Texas. It's going to get worse. The USA is the ONLY country in the world where people widely object to wearing masks.

But I will say, if you are one of those who refuses to wear a mask in public, please don't expect Children's Hospital in Texas to make space for you as a covid patient (as they are currently having to do now, taking in adult covid patients due to overflow in other hospitals). You don't deserve to be there. You weren't taking precautions and weren't trying to keep others safe, either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas