Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2020, 04:54 PM

28,667 posts, read 18,784,602 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
Right. As I understand it the tiny clots cause or at least contribute to a good bit of the the lung damage noted.

The clotting is also leading to heart attacks and strokes if the clots reach the heart or brain. The clots also lead to other symptoms such as "covid toe," aches in extremities, loss of circulation in extremities, broken capillaries visible under the skin, extreme malaise--symptoms people don't recognize as covid-19 until it's too late. These appear to be the most likely symptoms suffered by people with high blood pressure and/or diabetes or pre-diabetes if they don't present the standard pulmonary symptoms first.

Old 07-08-2020, 10:32 PM

5,842 posts, read 4,171,909 times
Well, Texas has had 200 deaths in the last two days. 121 deaths today is, by far, the highest figure yet. Nationally, there were 890 deaths, which is up 32% from last Wednesday's number. I was hoping that yesterday's jump was due to low holiday reporting finally catching up, but that doesn't appear to be the case.

Unless things really change in the next few days, it looks like the "cases are up but deaths are down" situation was temporary. It is a bit surprising given the length of time that we've had increasing cases but lower deaths (over three weeks, which is enough lag for new cases to show up), but for whatever reason, deaths are now spiking in a serious way. That's what the experts have been saying would likely happen, so I can't be too surprised.

Rant (Ignore if you wish): Leadership on this sucks right now. We have a buffoon at the top who refuses to endorse or set any kind of example regarding mask wearing and is willing to be completely blind to the actual virus progression or the words of real experts and instead claim that shutting schools down is simply a political ploy against him. He does not care if 150,000 or 200,000 or 250,000 people die, and he does not acknowledge the responsibility he has to ensure the citizens of the United States are safe. The child should not be driving the ship in a storm. This is what happens when you let the seven year-old decide when to stop taking his antibiotics. When he feels better a couple of days in, he stops taking them so he can go play. Adults need to say "No, you take them for their full duration so that you don't have this exact same thing happen next week.....the improvement is temporary if you don't run the full course." Abbott isn't much better. He is playing political games regarding masks to appease some imaginary libertarian in his head.

It's time that leadership acknowledges that the small contingent of people who are opposed to masks and such are wrong, and they don't need to be catered to. Also, opening things up prematurely is not business-friendly. Getting the virus knocked out in a meaningful way is business-friendly. As a business owner that has been significantly affected by this, I can tell you that I don't care what happens this month or even next month. I can wait that out. What scares me is incompetent leadership that leaves us still fighting this same battle in five or six months because they are too immature or short-sighted to take the hit today so that we can move on tomorrow. I'm not into "I told you so," but I said this was going to happen back in early May when Abbott made the reopening decision. You shouldn't open at the peak. That seems obvious, and I don't think you need to know anything about epidemiology to know that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgn2013 View Post
This is so important. Everyone focuses on COVID deaths, but you can "survive" and still walk away with long-term complications. That aspect is not being emphasized nearly enough.
I won't speak for others, but for me, the focus on deaths is actually attempt to focus on actual cases rather than just positive tests, which of course depend heavily on testing. Assuming that Covid isn't more or less deadly than it was in March/April/May, and assuming that we aren't any better at treating it than we were then, death numbers are the best figure we have to track the virus' trajectory. Of course, both of those are big assumptions (particularly the second one), and there's always the caveat that deaths run on a lag.

We are literally testing 6-7 times as many people as we were in March, so raw test data doesn't give a full view. Hospitalizaitons are an important stat, but deaths is a great figure to track the actual progression of the virus.....with a bit of a delay.

Last edited by Wittgenstein's Ghost; 07-08-2020 at 10:42 PM..

Old 07-09-2020, 06:43 AM

3,754 posts, read 4,239,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by serger View Post
Can you get tested again for antibodies?

I don't know if insurance would pay for it again, and it's $300 paying cash. But at this point, the only place I go is to the grocery store, once every two weeks. It's not worth it to me to go get tested again with cases rising everywhere.

Old 07-09-2020, 06:45 AM

3,754 posts, read 4,239,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wittgenstein's Ghost View Post
Rant (Ignore if you wish): Leadership on this sucks right now. We have a buffoon at the top who refuses to endorse or set any kind of example regarding mask wearing and is willing to be completely blind to the actual virus progression or the words of real experts and instead claim that shutting schools down is simply a political ploy against him. He does not care if 150,000 or 200,000 or 250,000 people die, and he does not acknowledge the responsibility he has to ensure the citizens of the United States are safe. The child should not be driving the ship in a storm. This is what happens when you let the seven year-old decide when to stop taking his antibiotics. When he feels better a couple of days in, he stops taking them so he can go play. Adults need to say "No, you take them for their full duration so that you don't have this exact same thing happen next week.....the improvement is temporary if you don't run the full course." Abbott isn't much better. He is playing political games regarding masks to appease some imaginary libertarian in his head.

It's time that leadership acknowledges that the small contingent of people who are opposed to masks and such are wrong, and they don't need to be catered to. Also, opening things up prematurely is not business-friendly. Getting the virus knocked out in a meaningful way is business-friendly. As a business owner that has been significantly affected by this, I can tell you that I don't care what happens this month or even next month. I can wait that out. What scares me is incompetent leadership that leaves us still fighting this same battle in five or six months because they are too immature or short-sighted to take the hit today so that we can move on tomorrow. I'm not into "I told you so," but I said this was going to happen back in early May when Abbott made the reopening decision. You shouldn't open at the peak. That seems obvious, and I don't think you need to know anything about epidemiology to know that.

The silver lining here is that approach is going to cost him the election in FL. All the elderly population are afraid there with cases spiking and they've been shut in for months with no end in sight. Trump's lack of concern for the elderly is going to cost him that state, and he won't win reelection without it.

Old 07-09-2020, 08:35 AM

451 posts, read 320,315 times
16 new deaths in Dallas county yesterday, and number of daily deaths in Texas going above 100 for the first time, is concerning.

If anybody has insight into the City of Dallas hospitalization (Beds and ICU beds) numbers, can you please share it?
Here are the bed and capacity statistics for today as reported by 25 hospitals in the City of Dallas:
Total beds: 6106
Beds occupied: 4143 (68%)
Total ICU beds: 968
ICU beds occupied: 679 (70%)

The hospitalization numbers for City of Dallas has remained under 70% for more than 3 months now, except for a couple of days around June 20, when it went to around 72-74%.

So, where is the surge of deaths and hospitalizations happening? Is it happening outside the City of Dallas, since the death number of 16 is being reported for Dallas County and not for City of Dallas?

Old 07-09-2020, 09:15 AM

Found this on the 16 deaths from yesterday (6 are from City of Dallas; 10 are from the rest of the Dallas county; so it seems like there may be a hospitalization surge happening in some of the hospitals outside the City of Dallas, resulting in surge in hospitalization for Dallas County:
A woman in her 20’s who was a resident of the City of Grand Prairie. She had been critically ill in an area hospital, and did not have underlying high risk health conditions. 
A man in his 40’s who was a resident of the City of Grand Prairie. He had been critically ill in an area hospital, and did not have underlying high risk health conditions. 
A woman in her 40’s who was a resident of the City of Farmers Branch. She had been hospitalized, and had underlying high risk health conditions. 
A man in his 50’s who was a resident of the City of Garland. He had been critically ill in an area hospital, and had underlying high risk health conditions. 
A woman in her 50’s who was a resident of a long-term care facility in the City of Dallas. She expired in the facility, and had underlying high risk health conditions. 
A woman in her 50’s who was a resident of the City of Grand Prairie. She had been critically ill in an area hospital, and had underlying high risk health conditions. 
A man in his 60’s who was a resident of the City of Dallas. He had been hospitalized, and had underlying high risk health conditions. 
A woman in her 60’s who was a resident of the City of Coppell. She expired in area hospital ED, and did not have underlying high risk health conditions. 
A woman in her 60’s who was a resident of the City of Grand Prairie. She had been critically ill in an area hospital, and had underlying high risk health conditions. 
A woman in her 70’s who was a resident of the City of Dallas. She had been hospitalized, and had underlying high risk health conditions. 
A woman in her 70’s who was a resident of the City of Grand Prairie. She had been critically ill in an area hospital, and had underlying high risk health conditions. 
A man in his 70’s who was a resident of the City of Dallas. He had been critically ill in an area hospital, and had underlying high risk health conditions. 
A woman in her 70’s who was a resident of the City of Dallas. She had been hospitalized, and had underlying high risk health conditions. 
A man in his 80’s who was a resident of a long-term care facility in the City of Dallas. He expired in the facility, and had underlying high risk health conditions. 
A woman in her 80’s who was a resident of a long-term care facility in the City of Mesquite. She had been hospitalized, and had underlying high risk health conditions. 
A woman in her 80’s who was a resident of the City of Garland. She had been hospitalized, and had underlying high risk health conditions.

Old 07-09-2020, 09:16 AM

307 posts, read 476,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDContribuitor View Post
16 new deaths in Dallas county yesterday, and number of daily deaths in Texas going above 100 for the first time, is concerning.

If anybody has insight into the City of Dallas hospitalization (Beds and ICU beds) numbers, can you please share it?
Here are the bed and capacity statistics for today as reported by 25 hospitals in the City of Dallas:

The hospitalization numbers for City of Dallas has remained under 70% for more than 3 months now, except for a couple of days around June 20, when it went to around 72-74%.

So, where is the surge of deaths and hospitalizations happening? Is it happening outside the City of Dallas, since the death number of 16 is being reported for Dallas County and not for City of Dallas?
Another question is, without knowing names and case histories, how much do we trust that people they say are dying of covid actually died of covid?

E.g. gunshot wounds, but tested positive for covid?

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news...coronavirus-d/

Old 07-09-2020, 10:14 AM

8,142 posts, read 3,674,077 times
Quote:

Hmmm

https://apps.texastribune.org/featur...080.1584730583

https://www.wfaa.com/article/news/he...8-68932a0ea643

https://www.dallascounty.org/Assets/...ation-Data.pdf

Old 07-09-2020, 10:31 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,295,536 times
Quote:

1. Hospitalizations are skyrocketing outside the big cities all across Texas.

2. The 25 hospitals in the city of Dallas have greatly increased their capacities since this epidemic began. Mayor Johnson was posting daily on his Facebook page through April and May. On April 15 (for reference), the 25 hospitals reported:
Total Beds 5710
ICU Beds 827

If they hadn’t increased capacity, we would be at 81% full beds and 82% in ICU.

3. The pause on elective, non-diagnostic surgeries on 7/3 should be contributing to declining general pop patients while the number of covid patients increase. You would have to know the makeup of the hospital & ICU beds over the last 4 months to see the whole story.

Old 07-09-2020, 10:47 AM

Thanks. This helps.

It seems like the City of Dallas, based on the hospitalization numbers (bed occupancy) is doing relatively better than the rest of the Dallas county. It could be interesting to see the level of hospitaliztion details that you could see for Dallas County at the City of Dallas level, to understand how the Covid situation is progressing in the city.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas