Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2020, 05:17 PM

3,754 posts, read 4,235,996 times

Advertisements

I've debated posting this as I don't want to cause alarm, but here is the synopsis of the FDA's meeting today with top food executives today:

"The FDA hosted a conference call today with all food industry stakeholders. The objective was to review food safety issues in response to the COVID-19 pandemic.

The call was clear and concise. The FDA wants to make it absolutely clear to all stakeholders that COVID-19 cannot be transmitted on food or food packaging.

1. The FDA considers the food industry “critical infrastructure” and is adopting a “maximum flexibility” posture.
2. In the event that an employee of a food facility contracts COVID-19, the FDA will not request food lots to be held or recalled.
3. Effective immediately, the FDA will suspend all routine food facility inspections for both domestic and international food facilities.
4. FSVP verification audits & inspections of all Food Importers will be suspended.
5. FEMA resources will be made available upon request to members of the food industry experiencing supply chain disruption.

We will continue to provide updates to the community regularly as we navigate these uncharted waters."

I don't know how I feel about this... The medical community has said this virus can live up to 3 days on surfaces, depending on what it is. So that means that if the virus does get on product packaging, there is a chance that it is still able to infect someone at the store. If the FDA is not going to recall any food if a processor is contaminated, that could make the situation worse. On the other hand, people need to have access to food and household items.

I would suggest to be safe and wipe down items that you will be sticking directly into your refrigerator or freezer, and other items can be placed aside somewhere and not touched for a few days if you don't want to wipe down every single thing you buy at the store.

Old 03-18-2020, 05:27 PM

19,777 posts, read 18,069,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katana49 View Post
I've debated posting this as I don't want to cause alarm, but here is the synopsis of the FDA's meeting today with top food executives today:

"The FDA hosted a conference call today with all food industry stakeholders. The objective was to review food safety issues in response to the COVID-19 pandemic.

The call was clear and concise. The FDA wants to make it absolutely clear to all stakeholders that COVID-19 cannot be transmitted on food or food packaging.

1. The FDA considers the food industry “critical infrastructure” and is adopting a “maximum flexibility” posture.
2. In the event that an employee of a food facility contracts COVID-19, the FDA will not request food lots to be held or recalled.
3. Effective immediately, the FDA will suspend all routine food facility inspections for both domestic and international food facilities.
4. FSVP verification audits & inspections of all Food Importers will be suspended.
5. FEMA resources will be made available upon request to members of the food industry experiencing supply chain disruption.

We will continue to provide updates to the community regularly as we navigate these uncharted waters."

I don't know how I feel about this... The medical community has said this virus can live up to 3 days on surfaces, depending on what it is. So that means that if the virus does get on product packaging, there is a chance that it is still able to infect someone at the store. If the FDA is not going to recall any food if a processor is contaminated, that could make the situation worse. On the other hand, people need to have access to food and household items.

I would suggest to be safe and wipe down items that you will be sticking directly into your refrigerator or freezer, and other items can be placed aside somewhere and not touched for a few days if you don't want to wipe down every single thing you buy at the store.
Interesting stuff. Thanks for posting.

Old 03-18-2020, 05:36 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,374,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NARFALICIOUS View Post
So... People say not to hoard, but the same people say to stay home and hunker down? Does not compute.

I still go to the grocery store once a week. If they want me to stop going, then I will have to hoard... Hmm.
That is a good point.

Old 03-18-2020, 06:43 PM

5,429 posts, read 4,456,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
There are still people shopping in malls, believe it or not.

I drove around in Plano today to get a prescription through the drive-through window at CVS. I was amazed to see all the cars at fast food places, Chik Fil A was very popular today. So was the the Sonic and Wendys'. Traffic was just like a normal day!
I'm still surprised. I am getting outside to exercise. I see people doing things.

Old 03-18-2020, 06:47 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,374,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ312 View Post
I'm still surprised. I am getting outside to exercise. I see people doing things.
I go out doors to walk or let the kids out to play in the front yard, but we're not going to be around people or get too close to them.

Old 03-18-2020, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
I go out doors to walk or let the kids out to play in the front yard, but we're not going to be around people or get too close to them.
People are walking their dogs in my area. I see people jogging/running/walking. As you're seeing, people are going to grocery stores and fast food places.

I bought a bunch of liquor in late February. I know how to fix a few of my favorite drinks, so I can survive without the alcohol component of bars. From what I read on here, Deep Ellum was pretty active last weekend.

Old 03-18-2020, 07:16 PM

3,835 posts, read 4,439,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by serger View Post
PISD - 2 more weeks. For now...
Wylie ISD closure extended to April 3. Chromebooks are being issued this week for online school to begin Monday. Going to be interesting how this plays out.

Old 03-18-2020, 07:19 PM

3,835 posts, read 4,439,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ312 View Post
People are walking their dogs in my area. I see people jogging/running/walking. As you're seeing, people are going to grocery stores and fast food places.

I bought a bunch of liquor in late February. I know how to fix a few of my favorite drinks, so I can survive without the alcohol component of bars. From what I read on here, Deep Ellum was pretty active last weekend.
Yeah I drove by our local Chilis Restaurant this evening (March 18th). The parking lot was full. This suggests people are inside eating, not getting food to go.

Well I guess either the naysayers are right, and this whole thing is indeed overblown and amounts to a big nothingburger, or we are going to witness a mass sickening like we've never seen before in our lifetimes, because far too many people are COMPLETELY ignoring the warnings and still congregating in large numbers in closed rooms. Time will soon tell.

Old 03-18-2020, 07:55 PM

200 posts, read 548,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biafra4life View Post
Yeah I drove by our local Chilis Restaurant this evening (March 18th). The parking lot was full. This suggests people are inside eating, not getting food to go.

Well I guess either the naysayers are right, and this whole thing is indeed overblown and amounts to a big nothingburger, or we are going to witness a mass sickening like we've never seen before in our lifetimes, because far too many people are COMPLETELY ignoring the warnings and still congregating in large numbers in closed rooms. Time will soon tell.
That certainly poses some risks. However compare to the risks of people bringing back viruses from cruises and international trips, that is actually a smaller risk in relative terms... Therefore I think it is especially important to stay home in the roughly two weeks until 3/31 just to get through the potential incubation period... I read that 15 people with Duke University came back from an international trip all confirmed with the virus... My kids also told me their classmates were going to a cruise and traveling to other states during the spring break. It is best for all to lay low for a bit. Hopefully things would not be that bad in this two weeks if so maybe we can return to a "somewhat" more normal lifestyle, of course, still need to be cautious and I'd argue it is best to always wear masks if you need to talk to others because many people who have the virus may not have any significant symptoms, you can never be 100% certain if you have it yourself or not.

Old 03-18-2020, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biafra4life View Post

What you describe is quite concerning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas