Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2021, 04:23 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,280,416 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
Your commissioner in Dallas is the one who prioritized by race. Which is what happens when you have politicians deciding on who gets vaccinated and when. And the only people who I will classify as vulnerable are people 65 and up. They have the highest risk of dying. Not your kid, not his teacher, and not the supermarket worker.

Everyone under 65 should be in the same pool. And the vaccination schedule should not be subject to politicians wasting time putting their favorite people into classes and subdivisions. That kills more people than working in Walmart.

And this is a national issue not a state issue. So it is my business if a national news source cites an official in Dallas using race and income to decide on who gets vaccinated. I think he should be removed from office. For the good of Dallas, and for the good of the country.
No, everyone below 65 should not be in the same pool. A cancer patient who is my age needs the vaccine before me (a healthy person with no comorbidities). A grocery store worker who interacts with 100’s of people each day needs it before a WFH white collar worker who doesn’t need to leave his house everyday.

Our local paper reports deaths by age & city every day, noting how many of the deceased had high risk underlying conditions. Most days 100% of reported deaths had high risk underlying conditions (comorbidities) regardless of whether they were 25 or 45 or 95.

This is all both scientific fact and common sense. It is going to take MONTHS & MONTHS until enough doses are available to vaccinate the entire US so YES, if we care about limiting fatalities, we DO need to prioritize high risk individuals whether their risk is constant exposure to the public or their own pre-existing conditions.

Old 01-23-2021, 04:47 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,033,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
No, everyone below 65 should not be in the same pool. A cancer patient who is my age needs the vaccine before me (a healthy person with no comorbidities). A grocery store worker who interacts with 100’s of people each day needs it before a WFH white collar worker who doesn’t need to leave his house everyday.

Our local paper reports deaths by age & city every day, noting how many of the deceased had high risk underlying conditions. Most days 100% of reported deaths had high risk underlying conditions (comorbidities) regardless of whether they were 25 or 45 or 95.

This is all both scientific fact and common sense. It is going to take MONTHS & MONTHS until enough doses are available to vaccinate the entire US so YES, if we care about limiting fatalities, we DO need to prioritize high risk individuals whether their risk is constant exposure to the public or their own pre-existing conditions.
It’s only going to take months and months if we have people sitting around studying thousands of demographics to see who goes first. Then setting up timelines and waiting for all in one group to go before assigning the next group. And waiting. And waiting. Overhead. Bureaucracy. Politics. Even race, as exhibited by that commissioner. To hell with that. People at risk are also protected by people not at risk getting vaccinated so as to reduce their exposure.

Make it available to everybody and start sticking it in arms 24/7/365 until herd immunity is achieved as soon as possible.

The most vulnerable people will be protected when herd immunity is attained. As will everyone. No special favorites or arbitrary groupings.

Electricians should get it before plumbers because electrical repairs are a safety issue and an essential service. No! Plumbers need to go first because they come into contact with surfaces more likely to contain the microbe.

This is the kind of nonsense that extends the timeline and kills people.

No special classes. Just continuous vaccination 24/7/365. Sign up and show up.

Old 01-23-2021, 05:11 PM

28,660 posts, read 18,761,634 times
Quote:
It’s only going to take months and months if we have people sitting around studying thousands of demographics to see who goes first. Then setting up timelines and waiting for all in one group to go before assigning the next group. And waiting. And waiting. Overhead. Bureaucracy. Politics. Even race, as exhibited by that commissioner. To hell with that. People at risk are also protected by people not at risk getting vaccinated so as to reduce their exposure.

Make it available to everybody and start sticking it in arms 24/7/365 until herd immunity is achieved as soon as possible.

The most vulnerable people will be protected when herd immunity is attained. As will everyone. No special favorites or arbitrary groupings.

Electricians should get it before plumbers because electrical repairs are a safety issue and an essential service. No! Plumbers need to go first because they come into contact with surfaces more likely to contain the microbe.

This is the kind of nonsense that extends the timeline and kills people.

No special classes. Just continuous vaccination 24/7/365. Sign up and show up.

Creating classifications is not what makes the difference or is creating the current difficulty.

There's no indication around the DFW area that any doses are spoiling on the shelves. Getting it into arms is not a problem, if you're not worried about who gets it.

The problem is primarily the lack of the vaccine and secondarily the poor distribution of vaccine to various physical locations. Every distribution point that gets the vaccine at all gets it into arms almost immediately.

Old 01-23-2021, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Creating classifications is not what makes the difference or is creating the current difficulty.

There's no indication around the DFW area that any doses are spoiling on the shelves. Getting it into arms is not a problem, if you're not worried about who gets it.

The problem is primarily the lack of the vaccine and secondarily the poor distribution of vaccine to various physical locations. Every distribution point that gets the vaccine at all gets it into arms almost immediately.
Hopefully a bad memory in a few months. I do like that so many people are excited to get the vaccine. It was looking for awhile that the response rate was going to be tepid. I’m seeing universally high demand. I intend to be vaccinated, maskless, and attending parties and bbqs by August.

Old 01-26-2021, 06:56 AM

Now they’re talking about letting overweight people jump the line. This is what I mean. Everyone is hysterically trying to prove how disadvantaged and entitled they are to get ahead of others. Just open the damned thing up to everyone and let a random number generator pick the order. This is getting insane.

Old 01-26-2021, 08:38 AM

19,767 posts, read 18,050,613 times
Quote:
Now they’re talking about letting overweight people jump the line. This is what I mean. Everyone is hysterically trying to prove how disadvantaged and entitled they are to get ahead of others. Just open the damned thing up to everyone and let a random number generator pick the order. This is getting insane.

Negative. As a person who's fought pretty hard to stay in very good shape it doesn't make me happy but overweight is a legitimate and significant risk factor for severe outcome during a CV-19 infection.

Old 01-26-2021, 09:12 AM

28,660 posts, read 18,761,634 times
Quote:
Inasmuch as supplies are so low and the distribution system is a goat rope, I'd agree with you.

It's appalling and absurd that they can't distribute efficiently even to 1A hospital workers in fixed working locations. There is no level of distribution system that is working properly. By this point in time, everybody working full-time in a hospital should have been vaccinated.

1A is a controllable group. They are easily identifiable, they are positively motivated, and their day-to-day locations can be directed from the top. A doctor or nurse can be told: "You're scheduled for X date...be there."

If efficient distribution can't be made to 1A (and apparently even that is a goat rope), then it's a lost cause trying to herd the rest of the cats.

Last edited by Ralph_Kirk; 01-26-2021 at 09:40 AM..

Old 01-26-2021, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
Negative. As a person who's fought pretty hard to stay in very good shape it doesn't make me happy but overweight is a legitimate and significant risk factor for severe outcome during a CV-19 infection.
Yeah, everything is a risk factor. Life is a risk factor. More people will die stratifying the population, with politicians and bureaucrats in charge, then just getting arms presented and stuck. This is a cluster-eff. I don’t care about everyone’s need claim. Humanity is the need claim. We need maximum doses in maximum people and I don’t care about your race, income, weight, or why you think you’re special or at some perceived higher risk.

You want to do something with morbidly obese people, fine, but that should take 2-3 days. But if you’re the typical fat American who eats what they want, when they want, and drinks what they want, when they want, then no, I don’t care about your risk factors. You’ve also been at risk for heart disease and stroke, but you didn’t seem to give a crap about that. So no special treatment.

Old 02-04-2021, 07:31 AM

34 posts, read 25,863 times
All I have to say is WOW!! UTSouthwestern completely skipping and disregarding 1As now...

"At this time, if you are a member of Phase 1B or have a medical condition outlined by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention as carrying increased risk for severe illness from COVID-19, you are eligible for a vaccine.

If you meet the criteria and are not yet registered as a UT Southwestern patient in MyChart – our secure, online health management tool – we ask that you please complete the short questionnaire below."

https://utswmed.org/covid-19/covid-1...-registration/

Old 02-04-2021, 08:16 AM

19,767 posts, read 18,050,613 times
Quote:
Yeah, everything is a risk factor. Life is a risk factor. More people will die stratifying the population, with politicians and bureaucrats in charge, then just getting arms presented and stuck. This is a cluster-eff. I don’t care about everyone’s need claim. Humanity is the need claim. We need maximum doses in maximum people and I don’t care about your race, income, weight, or why you think you’re special or at some perceived higher risk.

You want to do something with morbidly obese people, fine, but that should take 2-3 days. But if you’re the typical fat American who eats what they want, when they want, and drinks what they want, when they want, then no, I don’t care about your risk factors. You’ve also been at risk for heart disease and stroke, but you didn’t seem to give a crap about that. So no special treatment.
Given your emotional rants it’s a good thing you are not in charge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas