Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2020, 11:14 AM

3,754 posts, read 4,239,359 times

Advertisements

Went grocery shopping again yesterday. Compared to my previous post from 3/23, the amount of people wearing a mask and gloves has probably tripled, and people wearing a mask of some kind was probably about 40% as people get more serious about this. However, I saw a lot more women with their young (< 10) age kids with them. This was pretty concerning because I witnessed a couple of them running around and playing and touching lots of things. If you have kids, you should be leaving them at home. If your partner works, then go shopping at night when one of you can watch the kids.

As far as supply goes, it was a lot better than last time for most items, but some are still being bought with more regularity than normal. Last time they had decent amounts of steak and ground beef, but no chicken. This time they had a decent amount of chicken, but very little steaks or ground beef. Last time they didn't have any flour or sugar, this time they did but those items were still pretty wiped out. Fresh foods and the pasta aisle were all looking better than last time. Whether that's due to going around 9am on a Thurs vs about 10am on a Fri like I did last time, I don't know. Still no children's medicine. Milk was wiped out, no 2% available at all, but could still get whole milk. Can't be too choosy still. Several other items the national brand would be completely sold out, but they still had the store brand stocked. That was pretty common. If you have a picky kid, this has been a bit of a challenge to find what they are used to eating.

Be patient with your checkout people and baggers... It's clear many of them were just hired to meet demand and have no experience with it. I saw a lot of late teens and early 20 somethings working at check out, they may have lost their regular jobs, so just remember that and cut them some slack and account for needing more time at checkout. Saw a couple unpleasant shoppers giving them grief and it was just sickening they were acting so entitled in the midst of all this. Don't be like that.

Old 04-03-2020, 11:24 AM

102 posts, read 60,873 times
I want to seed an idea here. The New England Patriots flew their team plane to China and pickup 1 Million N95 masks for the local hospitals in Boston and NYC. That could be done here. A simple charter flight and maybe $1M USD could protect every front line hospital worker. Since I work in almost every hospital in Dallas, I know this is sorely needed. If anyone has the resources, smarts, or knows someone who can achieve this simple task, every healthcare worker in Tx could be protected by Monday.

I'm sharing this idea to do my due diligence for my local fellow healthcare workers. Hope someone can help.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/memb...covidplane.jpg

Old 04-03-2020, 11:26 AM

577 posts, read 457,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastDallasDude View Post
I want to seed an idea here. The New England Patriots flew their team plane to China and pickup 1 Million N95 masks for the local hospitals in Boston and NYC. That could be done here. A simple charter flight and maybe $1M USD could protect every front line hospital worker. Since I work in almost every hospital in Dallas, I know this is sorely needed. If anyone has the resources, smarts, or knows someone who can achieve this simple task, every healthcare worker in Tx could be protected by Monday.

I'm sharing this idea to do my due diligence for my local fellow healthcare workers. Hope someone can help.

Thanks for sharing! That will surely get a lot of publicity and likely encourage other people (who have the ability) to do the same.

Old 04-03-2020, 11:41 AM

28,667 posts, read 18,784,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastDallasDude View Post

I suspect those are the Chinese KN95 masks that are not approved by the FDA, although 3M says they're equally effective.

Hospitals have refused to use them in the past because they are not FDA approved, but since hospitals are currently reduced to wearing bandannas...they may be willing to go for it.

Old 04-03-2020, 11:47 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,183,047 times
Clay Jenkins just extended the Stay at Home until May 20.

How about we make this decision in a few weeks ?

Old 04-03-2020, 11:48 AM

4,232 posts, read 6,907,661 times
^ my response on this from the previous page.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbather View Post
given current rate and realistic projections, I think that mid May range is a good call. It will likely get extended again, or only relaxed slightly at that time. We are still at a point in a curve where doing an additional 2-3 weeks only provides false hope and confusion for when it gets extended again because I dont see any way we have info in 2 weeks that calls this off. At any given point in time I think you are no sooner than 4-6 weeks away from making a call once it seems like you are really rounding the corner and we aren't even at that point yet.

Old 04-03-2020, 12:01 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,070,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbather View Post
^ my response on this from the previous page.
This causes as many (if not more) problems than it attempts to solve.

Old 04-03-2020, 12:21 PM

4,232 posts, read 6,907,661 times
I strongly disagree, but I know where you stand and know that our discourse here won't change each others' minds.

Old 04-03-2020, 01:00 PM

15,530 posts, read 10,499,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post

Okay, it's too soon to go that far. Hopefully he can change it if need be.

Old 04-03-2020, 01:43 PM

5,429 posts, read 4,459,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post

I could understand going until May 1 at this point. May 20 seems a little far into the future. That's nearly 7 weeks. If we need to go to May 20, I could understand making that decision on May 1.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas