Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2020, 03:34 PM

19,767 posts, read 18,055,300 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOverdog View Post
This is seriously the stupidest fight ever. Hospitals in Dallas are barely at 50%, why on earth would they be moving patients to a makeshift hospital in the convention center before its even needed? Why on earth would the Feds or Abbott think we would? It was always overflow and going to be empty through most of the crisis, until overflow is needed.

If you think that is Jenkins fault or that they should be moving patients in now, then I don't know what to say.

You don't know what to say because you very clearly don't know what is going on. It's astonishing that you'd think Jenkins is right and federal administrators, an ex-FEMA executive, the governor and his emergency preparedness staff are all wrong.

ETA - The fact of the matter is the Feds. were about to move the makeshift hospital and they still might.

Last edited by EDS_; 04-09-2020 at 04:07 PM..

Old 04-09-2020, 04:16 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,549,565 times
Random aside for DFW residents. Favor delivery is pretty cool. Almost always for food delivery, they are the cheapest. And they will go get just about anything from anywhere. A convenience store, a pet store, etc. Texas based company. With a focus on local businesses.

Old 04-09-2020, 04:17 PM

578 posts, read 478,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOverdog View Post
This is seriously the stupidest fight ever. Hospitals in Dallas are barely at 50%, why on earth would they be moving patients to a makeshift hospital in the convention center before its even needed? Why on earth would the Feds, the incompetent Major, or Abbott think we would? It was always overflow and going to be empty through most of the crisis, until overflow is needed.

If you think that is Jenkins fault or that they should be moving patients in now, then I don't know what to say.
Fed, National Guard and the Governor want to build a HOSPITAL with ICUs, but Clay Jenkins has made it clear he only wants a rehabilitation center.

Quote:
Jenkins said last week that after conferring with local hospital officials, he thought space at the convention center should be reserved for patients who no longer needed critical care after they were treated at a traditional hospital.
So no, Feds is not going to build a rehabilitation center for Dallas.

Old 04-09-2020, 04:18 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,549,565 times
Did anyone else hear this on the news? As I was falling asleep, a reporter was talking about things that are hard to find like TP, hand sanitizer, etc. listed off websites and other resources. Did anyone catch that and write it down or know what website to find that? It was literally like www.hardtofind.com. or crucialsupply.com Is for Sale. lol, I thought I'd be able to remember it but nope.

Old 04-09-2020, 11:00 PM

89 posts, read 66,684 times
Another thing to consider is number of tests done. The US average is around 7100 per 1 million people. Texas is at 3800/million people. That's the 2nd lowest out of ALL states in terms of ratio. Whether it is due to lack of tests or people not wanting to get tested...it is a concern and our numbers are definitely higher than what they appear; considering we have the 10th highest # of cases with the 2nd lowest rate of testing.

Our current % of cases/tests is around 10.7%. Extrapolating that and assuming the US average for testing/million would give Texas an estimated 21,400 cases (instead of the 11,400 reported now), which would put Texas around 3rd or 4th behind NY and NJ in states with most cases. The cases will differ for other states as well but Texas would be in the top 5, regardless. A large majority of those cases being in Houston and DFW. Some food for thought.

Old 04-09-2020, 11:26 PM

451 posts, read 319,783 times
The way I look at it, Judge Jenkins was just trying to stay ahead of the problem. He wanted to ensure that Dallas does not get into a situation that we are in the peak or the middle of a plateau of the curve and we do not have enough beds, supplies. Nobody is at fault here. Everybody is trying to do their jobs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
You don't know what to say because you very clearly don't know what is going on. It's astonishing that you'd think Jenkins is right and federal administrators, an ex-FEMA executive, the governor and his emergency preparedness staff are all wrong.

ETA - The fact of the matter is the Feds. were about to move the makeshift hospital and they still might.

Old 04-09-2020, 11:35 PM

451 posts, read 319,783 times
I personally think, Texas is doing relatively better than most of the states. The single most important number that I would look at, is the number of deaths. Currently, Texas has not reached 25+ deaths a day. The daily maximum number of deaths per day until now is 23. The actual number of deaths for the last 2 days have been lower than what is projected in the link below. So I am very optimistic that our number of deaths will look quite flat and hover around 20 to 25 deaths per day, until the virus is gone for this wave.
https://covid19.healthdata.org/unite...-america/texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerbait73 View Post
Another thing to consider is number of tests done. The US average is around 7100 per 1 million people. Texas is at 3800/million people. That's the 2nd lowest out of ALL states in terms of ratio. Whether it is due to lack of tests or people not wanting to get tested...it is a concern and our numbers are definitely higher than what they appear; considering we have the 10th highest # of cases with the 2nd lowest rate of testing.

Our current % of cases/tests is around 10.7%. Extrapolating that and assuming the US average for testing/million would give Texas an estimated 21,400 cases (instead of the 11,400 reported now), which would put Texas around 3rd or 4th behind NY and NJ in states with most cases. The cases will differ for other states as well but Texas would be in the top 5, regardless. A large majority of those cases being in Houston and DFW. Some food for thought.

Old 04-09-2020, 11:43 PM

5,827 posts, read 4,162,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDContribuitor View Post
I personally think, Texas is doing relatively better than most of the states. The single most important number that I would look at, is the number of deaths. Currently, Texas has not reached 25+ deaths a day. The daily maximum number of deaths per day until now is 23. The actual number of deaths for the last 2 days have been lower than what is projected in the link below. So I am very optimistic that our number of deaths will look quite flat and hover around 20 to 25 deaths per day, until the virus is gone for this wave.
I hate to get into this again, but that's not true. Texas had 27 deaths yesterday, and I believe there were 28 the day before. Further, the daily new cases figure has increased pretty substantially in the last few days, so I'd be surprised if we don't see 35-40 deaths per day at some point late next week.

Old 04-10-2020, 07:45 AM

89 posts, read 66,684 times
Quote:
The deaths will be relatively low if the testing numbers are low. Both cases and deaths are increasing by >10%/day which implies we haven't hit peak. TX has been fortunate not to have any outbreaks in nursing home facilities (that I'm aware of). TX numbers are low now but increasing at a rapid rate.

Old 04-10-2020, 08:01 AM

19,767 posts, read 18,055,300 times
Quote:
The way I look at it, Judge Jenkins was just trying to stay ahead of the problem. He wanted to ensure that Dallas does not get into a situation that we are in the peak or the middle of a plateau of the curve and we do not have enough beds, supplies. Nobody is at fault here. Everybody is trying to do their jobs.
There's just no way to read through this with a clear eye and come to that conclusion. You need to be honest with yourself and if you don't know this go back and re-read the news reports - Jenkins nearly lost the temporary hospital - there is still a chance it may be moved. That's more or less the opposite of ensuring Dallas has enough bed space and supplies.

1. Jenkins does not get to dictate to the feds. how the hospital will be used. Problem 1 is he tried to do that.
2. Jenkins failed over and over to meet administrative and staffing mandates from the feds. This is proved out by item 3 and the fact that Jenkins was stipped of signifcant powers by county commissioners the other day.
3. Yesterday's County Commissioner's emergency meeting and record breaking funding action prove the point.
4. The other day Jenkins very nearly accused the governor's office of lying about all of this. Turns out the letter Jenkins received from the governor's office was precisely correct - Jenkins was clearly in the wrong.

It remains unclear if the hospital will remain in Dallas.

Last edited by EDS_; 04-10-2020 at 08:19 AM.. Reason: Fixed a grievous typo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas