Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2020, 11:44 PM

451 posts, read 312,368 times

Advertisements

Since Bing shows 27 for 4/10 and you mention they show 27 deaths in Texas yesterday, I am curious - Where are you located? Your post shows up on this thread at 11:25 pm Dallas time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wittgenstein's Ghost View Post
1. Knowing who the owner of a website is has nothing to do with the legitimacy of the site. John Hopkins trusts Worldometers, and they are open about their sources. We've been through this a million times. Just because you have set an arbitrary requirement of knowing a website's owner doesn't mean the rest of us must abide. And guess what? Bing's data jives. They show 27 deaths in Texas yesterday.

2. Read my quote that you have posted here again. I was not predicting 20% daily growth. I was giving a projection if we saw 20% daily growth, which was below what we were seeing at the time.

3. Stop arguing and then ending your post with "I would leave this at that." Either have a conversation or don't. If you don't want to have a conversation, fine, but don't respond. If you do want to have a conversation, you don't get to respond and then say "Okay, no more."

Old 04-10-2020, 11:52 PM

5,683 posts, read 4,086,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDContribuitor View Post
Since Bing shows 27 for 4/10 and you mention they show 27 deaths in Texas yesterday, I am curious - Where are you located? Your post shows up on this thread at 11:25 pm Dallas time.
I think you misunderstood. Early this morning (after midnight last night), I said the following:

Quote:
I hate to get into this again, but that's not true. Texas had 27 deaths yesterday, and I believe there were 28 the day before. Further, the daily new cases figure has increased pretty substantially in the last few days, so I'd be surprised if we don't see 35-40 deaths per day at some point late next week.
The "yesterday" in that quote was referring to Thursday. So, I was saying that Texas had 27 deaths on Thursday. Bing is showing 27 deaths on 4/10, but 4/10 is actually just the date they are reporting, not the date of the deaths. Those 27 deaths happened on 4/9. They are just late to report the data.

You have been playing this game of insisting on using Bing, and now you are even insisting that we assign the daily statistics to the day when Bing reports those statistics -- even though other sites are reporting that exact same information a day earlier.

Edit to add: We already know from sites like Worldometers that Texas has 26 deaths today (Friday). Bing will of course show that tomorrow (Saturday), but to insist that those were Saturday deaths and not Friday deaths because Bing reports late is silly. There were 27 deaths yesterday (Thursday) and 26 today (Friday).

Old 04-10-2020, 11:58 PM

The reason that I do not want to discuss this further is because I do not want to spend time on to-and-fro discussion and end up with the posts getting deleted by the moderator.

While I am insisting on bing, you have been insisting on worldometers. Bing numbers match with Texas Tribune. So, you mean to say even Texas Tribune is reporting for today, yesterday's data?

Anyways, 23 or 27 deaths per day for me is not a big difference. 25 and 100 is of course a big difference, and you have to accept that you were projecting 100+ deaths per day for Texas, just a few days ago.

You did not answer my question - Are you located in Dallas?

Quote:
I think you misunderstood. Early this morning (after midnight last night), I said the following:

The "yesterday" in that quote was referring to Thursday. So, I was saying that Texas had 27 deaths on Thursday. Bing is showing 27 deaths on 4/10, but 4/10 is actually just the date they are reporting, not the date of the deaths. Those 27 deaths happened on 4/9. They are just late to report the data.

You have been playing this game of insisting on using Bing, and now you are even insisting that we assign the daily statistics to the day when Bing reports those statistics -- even though other sites are reporting that exact same information a day earlier.

Old 04-11-2020, 12:06 AM

5,683 posts, read 4,086,090 times
Quote:
The reason that I do not want to discuss this further is because I do not want to spend time on to-and-fro discussion and end up with the posts getting deleted by the moderator.
Then don't respond. But responding and then saying "Ok, no more responses" is nonsense.

Quote:
While I am insisting on bing, you have been insisting on worldometers. Bing numbers match with Texas Tribune. So, you mean to say even Texas Tribune is reporting for today, yesterday's data?
Yes, of course they are. The official Texas state site reports yesterday's numbers today. They say as much on their site. We've discussed all of this.

Quote:
Anyways, 23 or 27 deaths per day for me is not a big difference. 25 and 100 is of course a big difference, and you have to accept that you were projecting 100+ deaths per day for Texas, just a few days ago.
Sorry, I guess i missed the memo....when did we find out that we are at peak deaths for Covid?

And I don't remember saying 100+ deaths per day. I'm not saying I didn't, but I don't remember. I'm hesitant to take your word for it because you badly misinterpreted my "If we average 20% growth" quote above. It's very possible that I said something like "At current growth rates, we'll have 100+ daily deaths." It seems that you would interpret that as me predicting 100+ daily deaths, which it is not.

Quote:
You did not answer my question - Are you located in Dallas?
No. I lived there for years but moved to Colorado four years ago. My wife's parents, three sisters and brother-in-law live there. In normal times, I'm usually there one week out of every couple months.

Old 04-11-2020, 07:39 AM

US likely hit its peak daily death toll at 2074 deaths, expert says.
https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/11/healt...day/index.html

Ghost, Daily positive cases is at 33,752 and death toll at 2035 for 4/10, as per your preferred data source of choice:
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

This is your post on 4/3 and this was just a week ago. (you have been over-estimating throughout this discussion at least to a magnitude of x2 to x3):
"It is an illusion that we have an economy vs. virus choice. The virus is going to be so bad during the next month or two that no one will be willing to go on with business as usual -- and that is with the numbers we will have with the shutdowns. If we lifted these shutdowns, the numbers would explode. No one is going to be willing to go about their normal lives when we are adding 100,000 cases per day and are seeing 4,000 deaths daily. And yes, those are the numbers we are talking about in 3-4 weeks' time, even with the shut downs."

So, while you are debating with me whether daily Texas death rate was 23 or 27, I would suggest you review all your posts on this thread and other threads till date and accept that you were over-estimating. In one of your posts you had estimated that US will reach 45 million infections, if we do not do social distancing. How can you arrive at that number? There is no model in this world for this novel virus that can estimate.such numbers, unless you know about this virus more than the scientific experts.

Hopefully, the moderator does not delete this post. I am stating facts here after referring to all of Ghost's posts on various threads.

Last edited by CDContribuitor; 04-11-2020 at 09:06 AM..

Old 04-11-2020, 08:15 AM

1,041 posts, read 1,170,730 times
Quote:

Hopefully, the moderator does not delete this post.
I am stating facts here after referring to all.of Ghost's posts.on various threads.

There's an old saying that others will be able to quote better than I: If enough people tell you that you're drunk, it's a good idea to lie down for a while.

Old 04-11-2020, 11:11 AM

562 posts, read 546,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cordata View Post
If enough people tell you that you're drunk, it's a good idea to lie down for a while.
Agreed.

Old 04-11-2020, 12:31 PM

9,545 posts, read 7,002,302 times
"During a press conference on Friday, Texas Governor Greg Abbott (R) announced that he will issue an executive order next week “talking about what will be done in Texas about reopening Texas businesses also in a way that will be safe for that economic revitalization.”

Abbott said, “Next week, I will be providing an executive order, talking about what will be done in Texas about reopening Texas businesses also in a way that will be safe for that economic revitalization. We will focus on protecting lives while restoring livelihoods. … We can do both.”

Old 04-11-2020, 12:44 PM

Good news for Texas. I am sure there will be efforts at containing the virus, while we collectively work towards getting Texas and the country back up and running. Cheers.
E
Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
"During a press conference on Friday, Texas Governor Greg Abbott (R) announced that he will issue an executive order next week “talking about what will be done in Texas about reopening Texas businesses also in a way that will be safe for that economic revitalization.”

Abbott said, “Next week, I will be providing an executive order, talking about what will be done in Texas about reopening Texas businesses also in a way that will be safe for that economic revitalization. We will focus on protecting lives while restoring livelihoods. … We can do both.”

Old 04-11-2020, 02:37 PM

1,173 posts, read 1,071,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
Next week? Let me know how you guys fair at doing both before reaching the peak infection rate.

As I have no interest in being a Darwinian guinea pig for gov Abbot; my household will continue to work and school from home and avoid going out except when absolutely necessary ( i.e Doctor's appointments, occasional grocery, fresh air).

Texas businesses can wait on my dollars well into May and possibly through to June and that's if I ever feel comfortable in a crowd again before a vaccine is available. No one business' existence is more important than life at this point. If I don't get our children to adulthood; it had better be for a reason better than "the economy".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas