Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2008, 05:16 PM

202 posts, read 702,388 times

Advertisements

My husband and I will be driving from San Antonio to Dallas on Sept. 29 and will probably have about 3 hours to kill before heading to the DFW airport. Any suggestions as to what we should do? I realize that the state fair will be going on (and I have never been to any state fair and I figure this is my opportunity) but I don't know if it would be worth the price of admission and parking to be there for only 3 hours (from about 1 - 4 p.m.) I was told about the Sixth Floor Museum and we might do that, but I don't know how enjoyable that would be. I also don't want to go to the kind of place (museum, zoo, aquarium, etc.) that is similar to what I would find in some other city. We are from CT so, if possible, I'd like to do something or go someplace uniquely Dallas so I can feel that I really visited Dallas (and not just the airport!)

Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2008, 05:24 PM

2,231 posts, read 6,044,457 times
Yes. Take a bus to the State Fair. No other city has an exposition center that looks like that.

The Dallas World Aquarium is not similar to what other cities describe as an aquarium. Check it out.

Go down to the Bishop Arts District at Davis and Bishop in Oak Cliff, browse the shops and have a meal.

Go to the 6th Floor museum. As Far As I Know, Dallas is the only city where Kennedy was killed.

Try the Heritage Center in the Cedars, formerly known as Old City Park. It is a well-laid out village depicting Dallas' past.

Old 04-24-2008, 06:02 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,000,832 times
You really can't miss the State Fair --it's the largest in the world and also the Art Deco buildings are the last such exhibition buildings in the world. And of course there is Big Tex:

By lakewooder (http://profile.imageshack.us/user/lakewooder - broken link), shot with NIKON D200 (http://profile.imageshack.us/camerabuy.php?model=NIKON+D200&make=NIKON+CORPORAT ION - broken link) at 2008-04-24

Old 04-24-2008, 07:36 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,674,599 times
Do the State Fair. That is a Monday so it won't be terribly crowded. Be ready for the weather to be any one of these: HOT, Humid, Drizzly, Rain. Or it could be PERFECT which any day at The State Fair of Texas IS perfect.

Every weekday also has some kind of "special" to get in at a discount price usually. One is like bring a Dr Pepper can and get in for like $2 another is 3 cans of food. Just keep tabs on the main website at BigTex.com for the calendar of events and what you can see while there as well as the specials.

Now if you have to be out at DFW Airport by say 5:00 pm give yourself plenty of time to get there though.

Old 04-24-2008, 07:41 PM

Sounds like I'll be talking my husband into going to the State Fair .

So, just how much time should I give us to get from the State Fair to the airport? We'll be catching a 6:10 flight so I figure we need to be there by 4:40 p.m. (1.5 hours before). What time do you think we need to leave the State Fair by?

Considering that we'll start the day in San Antonio (Mapquest says it is a 4 hour drive??), it is going to be busy, I can tell. Guess we'd better plan on getting up early!

Old 04-24-2008, 07:53 PM

2,394 posts, read 8,565,948 times
San Antonio to Dallas in 4 hours? Uh, yeah, if you're going about 110mph the whole way... it's over 3 hours from DFW to Austin.

Old 04-24-2008, 08:01 PM

Hmm. Google Map says Austin to Dallas is 3 hours 9 minutes and San Antonio to Dallas is 4 hours 23 minutes. I guess we should plan on at least 4.5 hours? Or is there a lot of traffice I'm not factoring in? (Maybe we'll get to Dallas just in time for the airport???)

Old 04-24-2008, 08:07 PM

2,256 posts, read 9,727,198 times
You should anticipate traffic through Austin, actually from that Onion Creek area south of Austin until you are out of the Round Rock area, north of Austin - 9 times out of 10 it will be heavy traffic. If not, enjoy the extra time at the Fair!

Old 04-24-2008, 08:13 PM

52,572 posts, read 47,695,376 times
Default For Fun In Dallas??

Oh, perhaps get stuck on LBJ???

Kidding aside, there's plenty to do even if you stick with one particular place. If you decide to go the State Fair, then you should drop by downtown and stop at the West End. You can walk on over to the Sixth Floor Museum or to the Dallas World Aquarium.

That's just a few places, but those are good places to begin. Enjoy your time!!

Old 04-24-2008, 08:34 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,674,599 times
Um, from my house in the northeast portion of Dallas to Temple which is NORTH of Austin has been a typical 2 1/2 hour drive to 3 hours EASY!!! I-35 between San Antonio to Dallas is BUMPER TO BUMPER all the way in both lanes in each direction and they typically go about 80 mph. If your scared to go fast then get up REALLY EARLY! Can you leave the night before maybe??? Monday morning won't be TOO bad of traffic but it doesn't matter on 35 nowadays.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas