Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2008, 05:20 PM

56 posts, read 235,845 times

Advertisements

I was just admitted to SMU School of Law and plan to move to the Dallas area to begin my legal studies. I will be moving with my wife and children from Long Beach/Los Angeles, CA. What areas would posters on this board recommend as good places for a family to rent an apartment (safe, livable, aesthetically pleasing, etc.)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2008, 06:37 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,869,842 times
I'd look in Lakewood, Lake Highlands and the M Streets. Close to SMU for you and a good family friendly area w/ a good family atmosphere. Then when your done w/ school your family is settled into a good area already and your still very close to a commute downtown.

Old 04-24-2008, 06:47 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,462,012 times
How much can you spend? Are your kids school age? You might find an apartment in Highland Park or University Park (where SMU is). It's the pricey part of town, but very family oriented and there are some apartments there (older smaller complexes). The kids would be in one of the best school districts in the state. Otherwise I would probably go out to Plano if your kids are school age and then you can get to SMU up Hillcrest/Ohio or Coit/75. Lots of apartment complexes there and there are a lot of the newer nicer ones with garages and in-unit washer/dryers.

I'd be very careful of the apartments in Lake Highlands.

Old 04-24-2008, 08:27 PM

152 posts, read 673,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarNorthDallas View Post

I'd be very careful of the apartments in Lake Highlands.
Why is that? At the rate they are going all of the crappy ones will be torn down in a matter of no time anyway

You have to be careful of apartments just about anywhere you look. Saying park cities or Plano seems silly. There are new apartment buildings everywhere, including the lake highlands area.

Old 04-24-2008, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurrentlyinSanAntonio View Post
Why is that? At the rate they are going all of the crappy ones will be torn down in a matter of no time anyway

You have to be careful of apartments just about anywhere you look. Saying park cities or Plano seems silly. There are new apartment buildings everywhere, including the lake highlands area.
My bias just comes from having too much information about the apartments in the Lake Highlands area (and having no information about apartments in other parts of town). I'm glad to see a lot of them being torn down. There are way too many apartment complexes in that part of town, especially older, low income section 8 type places. I personally don't know of any new complexes over there.

Old 04-24-2008, 09:50 PM

152 posts, read 673,783 times
It seems like you can't drive down a street in that area with out seeing one that was just torn down, in the process, or is vacant and waiting to be torn down. I read that Dallas leads the nation in the number of apartment units being torn down.

Old 04-25-2008, 12:04 AM

Default Late posting to my own thread

Sorry I'm late posting to my own thread, but my daughters, one is school-age and one is pre-school age. I was originally budgeting up to $1200 per month for a two-bedroom/two-bath (when I was considering George Mason [Arlington, Va]), but from my cursory research of Dallas nice two bedrooms are below $700 a month. Am I correct in my assumption?

Old 04-25-2008, 02:29 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,869,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdattaray View Post
Sorry I'm late posting to my own thread, but my daughters, one is school-age and one is pre-school age. I was originally budgeting up to $1200 per month for a two-bedroom/two-bath (when I was considering George Mason [Arlington, Va]), but from my cursory research of Dallas nice two bedrooms are below $700 a month. Am I correct in my assumption?
Yes, you are wrong in that assumption. I'd not want to live in an apartment anywhere in the Dallas area where 2bed/2baths are below $700. YIKES!!! NO!

Old 04-25-2008, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdattaray View Post
Which 2/2 apartments did you find for under $700? What is the location?

Old 04-25-2008, 10:32 AM

Default Some Dallas Area Apartments

1) The Biltmore
$545 - $630
in Vickery Meadows

2)Hillburn Hills Apartments
$555-$565
in Pleasant Grove Southeast Dallas

3) The Park on Whitehurst
$579-$670
in Lake Highlands, Northeast Dallas

Just to name a few, but there are more on Rent.com and Apartments.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas