U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2020, 09:35 AM

7 posts, read 5,793 times

Advertisements

Hello,

Looking for some feedback on the Travis Ranch and Travis Ranch Marina in Forney. Within the Travis Ranch community, there are some lakefront/lakeside water housing that I am interested in that are new construction. I know there is MUD tax, which I have factored in. I've also researched Forney and driven through there several times.. I get it is remote / more rural feel / somewhat lower income vs North Texas, but there are enough shops and grocery stores nearby that make it do-able.

My concern is mostly the Travis Ranch community itself. To access the Marina properties, you have to go through this community (it is in the back of Travis Ranch). TR has been established it seems since around 2005? Looks like 89% is mostly home-owners vs. rentals, but my research is showing the last 2 years as allowing some Section 8 rentals. NOTE: I'm not trying to discriminate but just trying to assess the neighborhood and what's around.. Marina houses are on the higher price point of say $460K whereas Travis Ranch houses are around $200-$285.

My question is can anyone give a recent update on the Travis Ranch community to date? Most of the forums are several years dated. I've seen commentary that "1/5 houses are now 'trap'"... any feedback on the area? Any feedback on Travis Ranch Marina area too?

I currently live in Frisco (renting).. I like the feel of the Frisco/Prosper/The Tribute.. it's just hard to find a house that isn't surrounded by neighbors/small lots especially at the cost. Would you recommend Forney vs. Frisco? (I get it is a little apples and oranges.. just welcome thoughts here, as I have only lived in Texas for 1.5 years).

Thank you in advance!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2020, 11:49 AM

11,080 posts, read 24,080,377 times
Where will you be commuting to for work? Forney and Frisco are on opposite sides of Dallas.

Old 04-13-2020, 02:05 PM

7 posts, read 5,793 times
I work from home. My fiance works in Irving but we live in Frisco and he makes the drive now and is ok with it. Forney would be roughly the same commute into Irving mileage wise (which he is also fine with). If we moved, we would not be commuting to Frisco for work. We love the possibility of waterfront, but wanting to get opinions of specifically the Travis Ranch community and Forney in general.

Old 04-19-2020, 07:13 PM

8 posts, read 5,103 times
I've lived in Forney since 2000. I can tell you its booming fast. Forney is a great place to live however with growth comes the pain of growth. Traffic can be a mess in the morning and crime has increased compared to the past - and Travis Ranch itself has had a lot of car break ins recently. The location is nice because its close to Rockwall/Heath and truthfully you do save a lot time in the mornings by being close to the west of town because most of the times the backup is right before Clements Dr. The demographics are completely different compared to Frisco. Most new homes in Forney are 200-350k, 40s,50s,some 60s lots, less than 4000k sqft.

Travis Ranch I think is a great family community but has its downsides. The developer is just trying to finish out the community and be done with it. Way back when the community first opened the homes being built were nice brick homes and their were good builders building. Highlands Horizon homes, Kimball Homes, David Weekly, Lillian, etc. That back portion by the lake was suppose to be high end condos, hotel, shopping area - kinda like The Harbor in Rockwall - but no one really believed that would ever happen. Also like you mentioned lots of rental homes.

Recently the builders aren't best and the quality of the homes have gone down. The developers have also sold portions that were suppose to be future Travis Ranch phases to other builders and developers that are developing them into different neighborhoods (Trailwind, Trinity Crossing, Clements Ranch, Lakeside at Heath). Compare old parts of Travis Ranch to newer parts, you will recognize what I mean. Smaller lots, lots of homes with siding instead of brick, streets with the same floor plan and style repeated down the street.

I've driven around the area many times and I really like the homes in the Travis Ranch Marina section - its completely different and more upscale than the rest of Travis Ranch. I like the lake lots and the homes look very nice - and the price to be with a lake view is nice - but you would be paying 400-500k for a lake lot in a area where homes are around 150-200k - you have to think will that home retain its value. Will the community (the marina section is just that one street) build out. Taylor Morrison has been trying to sell homes in the marina section for about two years and you can see they haven't even built 10 homes yet in 2 years. Half the homes in the marina section are lake lots while the other half isn't (will buyers still want to build upscale homes on those lots or will those lots end up being like the homes in the rest of Travis Ranch). In 5 years will you be living on a street thats not even built out or with other homes that aren't up to the quality of yours. I've heard that the marina portion may be gated in the future - but again thats a maybe no guarantee.

Because this area is not in the city limits and is in the Dallas MUD district, developers haven't cared about the quality of the homes and keeping some kinda of standard. Drive down Lake Ray Hubbard Dr. right next to Travis Ranch Marina and behind Travis Ranch there is a community called Trinity Crossing, the homes are 100% siding and starting at $100k. I know many residents in the area have been upset with developers not having a higher standard in the newer phase of Travis Ranch and in Trinity Crossing.

Now if you want to be in Forney and willing to risk it all just to be on the lake at that price point that then go for it - but I personally wouldn't build there due to my points mentioned above. Check out Clements Ranch, its by the lake (no lake lots) but is a better community with better builders, price range is around 200-300k, very nice amenity center and on their last phase. Devonshire is also a very nice neighborhood with good builders (Highland, Perry), but not close to the lake.

Now I don't know if you looked into the new community Heath Golf & Yacht Club. Its right next to Travis Ranch but in Heath. You should definitely check it out. Its way more upscale than anything you would find in Forney, good location, community is on the lake, very nice amenties, golf course and depending on your budget you can get a new home for 350k-over million. There a huge range of lots sizes, builders, golf course lots, tree lots, lake lots, etc. I think these homes are priced well and over time will increase in value due to the community, location, being in Rockwall ISD, and being close to Rockwall, 80/30. I can't say the same for Travis Ranch Marina. Heath is growing fast too but is a way more upscale smaller town than Forney. A Toms Thumb recently opened in Heath and you are about 5 minutes to Rockwall where there is a lot shops and restaurants. Check their website out and you will notice a difference in what you can get compared to communities and homes in Forney: https://www.heathgolfandyachtclub.com/

If you are going to spend 400k+ on home I think it maybe better to build in Heath Golf & Yacht. Better value and less risky. Other than being on the lake Travis Ranch Marina doesn't have any other benefits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>