Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2020, 08:53 AM

2 posts, read 2,967 times

Advertisements

My family and I are moving to DFW area for a job in Plano. The office looks like it is located in that corporate park area right by "The Shops at Legacy".

I could really use some guidance on where to purchase a home. We will be coming from St. Louis and I don't know the Dallas/Plano area at all.

Some details on what I'm looking for:

Budget: ~500k
Children: 3 young children (5, 3, 0)
Priorities: School District, Commute, New/ish home (< 10 years old)

I did spend about 4 hours with a real estate agent a couple months ago in Dallas. She showed me a little bit of the shopping in Plano and then she drove me through some planned communities (Phillips Creek Ranch, Windsong Ranch) as well as some random houses in Frisco in other neighborhoods.

While we were driving around Prosper, it did seem like you got a little bit more for your money than in some parts of Frisco, but it looks like to have a decent commute you have got to take a toll road. I tried doing some napkin math for costs commuting both ways via it and it seemed like it would be relatively expensive. Anyone with experience to share here on commute/toll costs would be much appreciated.

I liked Phillips Creek Ranch in Frisco fine, in that, it seemed like it had awesome schools, amenities and there were plenty of young families, etc. Even at 500k though, I'd probably have to stretch my budget upwards a bit and the lot sizes are fairly small (based on my St. Louis norms).

I could really use some suggestions on where I should concentrate my home search. Should that be Frisco? McKinney? Prosper? Plano itself? Any particular neighborhoods?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2020, 09:05 AM

7,890 posts, read 11,410,931 times
I think Frisco is your best bet. Longer commutes but slighty less home costs are Allen and Proper. Schools in all four choices are good but very different.

Plano schools get the nod for the highest performing overall of these options.

Frisco is the best fit with good commute and good schools, while overall a slight notch below Plano schools they offer smaller high school populations.

Allen is at the other extreme it has one monster high school. School quality is good but longer commute than Frisco even using the toll road which is fastest from most of Allen to Legacy.

Prosper is a long commute and less track record of school success just due to its rapid growth, its schools are fine just growing fast without which brings challenges to keep up performance but gives opportunities to enhance performance too.

I dont mind cold weather and hte hot weather but overall personally find DFW a better weather choice than STL all things considered. Welcome to DFW. Lots of unknowns about how things will shake on post CV19 and when that will be so good luck on this big a move at these uncertain times.

Plano is older housing stock and the other three give you a lot of options for new housing stock as well. I failed to mention McKinney is fine too just longer commute than Frisco but has the new housing stock you seek

Old 04-26-2020, 10:33 AM

1,007 posts, read 2,460,702 times
With that budget, why not just buy a lot and build? Prices are going to go down soon enough.

Old 04-26-2020, 12:24 PM

2 posts, read 2,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compSciGuy View Post
With that budget, why not just buy a lot and build? Prices are going to go down soon enough.
I'm open to new homes currently being built that will be on the market in May/June but want to avoid a double move if possible.

Old 04-27-2020, 07:50 AM

1,399 posts, read 2,175,593 times
Are you dead set on a newer home? What's wrong with Plano (west or central)? Really good schools, super short commute, you're close to literally any type of shopping or amenities you could want. I live in NW Frisco really close to Phillips Creek Ranch and I used to commute to Legacy/DNT, so I'm more than familiar with the areas and commute. My office moved so I work from home full time now.

You're either going to have to take DNT every day ($$$) or you're going to be stuck inching down Legacy or one of the other very limited north/south roads that leads from Frisco into Plano. Keep in mind that Frisco has schools on literally every major intersection, so add in long stretches of 20mph roads that are packed with parents doing drop off. I made the commute from Eldorado/Teel to Legacy/DNT for 12ish years on surface streets and my commute time got exponentially worse every single year. I personally don't think a newish house in a newish community is worth all of the driving you'll be doing.

Old 04-27-2020, 09:13 AM

3,835 posts, read 4,443,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephwin View Post
Are you dead set on a newer home? What's wrong with Plano (west or central)? Really good schools, super short commute, you're close to literally any type of shopping or amenities you could want. I live in NW Frisco really close to Phillips Creek Ranch and I used to commute to Legacy/DNT, so I'm more than familiar with the areas and commute. My office moved so I work from home full time now.

You're either going to have to take DNT every day ($$$) or you're going to be stuck inching down Legacy or one of the other very limited north/south roads that leads from Frisco into Plano. Keep in mind that Frisco has schools on literally every major intersection, so add in long stretches of 20mph roads that are packed with parents doing drop off. I made the commute from Eldorado/Teel to Legacy/DNT for 12ish years on surface streets and my commute time got exponentially worse every single year. I personally don't think a newish house in a newish community is worth all of the driving you'll be doing.
Is Prosper to Legacy that far? My impression was that it was actually an easy commute (although using the toll roads will cost of course).

Old 04-27-2020, 10:37 AM

1,399 posts, read 2,175,593 times
380/Preston to DNT/Legacy is 12 miles, and that is the southern most point of Prosper. The average commute time per this forum is 2-3 minutes per mile, and that definitely seems in line with what I was experiencing when I commuted.

Also keep in mind that a lot of the farm land that you pass in northern Frisco or Prosper will one day be even more master planned communities. Traffic will get worse every year regardless of what roads you take.

Old 04-27-2020, 12:09 PM

40 posts, read 81,386 times
Dont forget even more construction on 380 and DNT expansion will also start in the next year or so.

Old 04-27-2020, 08:37 PM

5 posts, read 5,988 times
Castle hills community - there are new constructions, good schools (feeds to hebron high), good commute to legacy (11 mins right now no traffic, probably 15-25 in rush hour depending on your work start/end times). At your budget you will likely have to sacrifice interior house quality or lot size for a new construction though.

Old 04-27-2020, 09:57 PM

1,007 posts, read 2,460,702 times
Traffic is bad during rush hour if you need to use it. I am in North Plano, and during rush hour, I can take a bicycle and beat the cars (I've done it before); Of course, I've also had instances of not judging the weather properly and taking the bicycle and being drenched in the rain, etc. That being said, when it's not rush hour, it's extremely quick. Think outside of the box, a lot of your workers are living closeby, and there are quite a few apartments, etc. between Ohio, and the Legacy area. So, as the crow flies is not always best. Look at schools for the age of your kids, not what was. Also, look at demographics (and activities, as you think, may be appropriate) as it applies to them, and what you want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas