Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2020, 08:40 AM

6,345 posts, read 8,114,245 times

Advertisements

I was laid off in the 2008 recession and landed a job paying double in the bankruptcy department. It was a life saver.

Divorce, bankruptcy(corporate and individual), or foreclosure(commercial and residential) attorneys
Administrative, legal, or other jobs related to supporting the above attorneys.
Debt collectors
Default mortgage servicing jobs for collections, loan modifications, foreclosures, and bankruptcies.
Repo man
Funeral home jobs
Federal, State and local government jobs

Essential Employees
Gun and rifle ranges
Package delivery drivers (FedEx, UPS, Amazon)
Instacart shoppers
Warehouse
Grocery stores
Dollar stores
Pharmacies
Liquor stores
Food delivery (Pizza is doing very well)

I am not sure how well 7-11 Corporate is doing. Gas stations are not very busy, but people still need their beer and smokes.

Last edited by move4ward; 05-01-2020 at 08:51 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2020, 09:08 AM

5,429 posts, read 4,455,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VictoryPlaza View Post
You still need Human Resources (payroll, benefits, training, etc.) to manage other "people" related functions for the remaining employees. I am sure for some companies the scope has decreased.
Training is antiquated. A lot of companies have done away with their training functions. The first job I had coming out of college in 2005 had training, but no jobs that I have had since had even one minute of formalized training. For decades, companies have been "outsourcing" their training either to colleges/universities or private training companies. Even in 2005, the on the job formalized training program that I received was a rarity. A lot of employees have had to absorb costs for training from private training companies so as to have a skill set for a line item or keyword on their resumes when interviewing.

There is something with benefits. The COBRA departments at companies like ADP are busy sending out paperwork for COBRA enrollment, which is a giant waste of time and paper since very few people enroll in COBRA. COBRA has an ~5% enrollment rate.

Payroll is still there, and I am sure there are HR messes related to layoffs that need the attention of HR professionals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katana49 View Post
Just look at what industries the government considers essential.
This is the way to do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post
I was laid off in the 2008 recession and landed a job paying double in the bankruptcy department. It was a life saver.

Divorce, bankruptcy(corporate and individual), or foreclosure(commercial and residential) attorneys
Administrative, legal, or other jobs related to supporting the above attorneys.
Debt collectors
Default mortgage servicing jobs for collections, loan modifications, foreclosures, and bankruptcies.
Repo man
Funeral home jobs
Federal, State and local government jobs
There is already evidence that initial divorce inquiries and filings are up, and will go up for the next 6-12 months.

Bankruptcy is a great one. Debt collection as well.

Old 05-01-2020, 09:35 AM

11,852 posts, read 26,854,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ312 View Post

How is this possible? Very few companies are hiring right now, and many have formal hiring freezes in place. In general, the economy is shedding jobs. Is it possible that HR is being in place to conduct layoffs and deal with layoff related issues?
Not everyone in HR is a recruiter. I am not. Many of us handle employee relations, payroll, etc. I'm personally very busy keeping in touch with associates who are off work due to COVID-19 issues with their family, responding to unemployment claims, and handling layoffs at our workplace.

Old 05-01-2020, 10:13 AM

5,429 posts, read 4,455,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
Not everyone in HR is a recruiter. I am not. Many of us handle employee relations, payroll, etc. I'm personally very busy keeping in touch with associates who are off work due to COVID-19 issues with their family, responding to unemployment claims, and handling layoffs at our workplace.
I figured issues related to layoffs are keeping some HR people employed. Pretty much everyone laid off files an unemployment claim as soon as possible. Layoffs create messes.

Old 05-01-2020, 10:23 AM

516 posts, read 450,141 times
Quote:
Training is antiquated. A lot of companies have done away with their training functions. The first job I had coming out of college in 2005 had training, but no jobs that I have had since had even one minute of formalized training. For decades, companies have been "outsourcing" their training either to colleges/universities or private training companies. Even in 2005, the on the job formalized training program that I received was a rarity. A lot of employees have had to absorb costs for training from private training companies so as to have a skill set for a line item or keyword on their resumes when interviewing.
Training in the A/E/C industry is still very prevalent. At my companies and others, new hires typically spend their first full day with HR. Then we have monthly project manager meetings which involve training and HR discussions. Our HR department handles the training for new corporate processes. They give annual harassment training at my company. My company's thought process is why outsource when we can do it in-house. It makes more financial sense for my company.

Old 05-01-2020, 10:50 AM

56 posts, read 61,679 times
[quote=RJ312;57994475]Training is antiquated. A lot of companies have done away with their training functions. The first job I had coming out of college in 2005 had training, but no jobs that I have had since had even one minute of formalized training. For decades, companies have been "outsourcing" their training either to colleges/universities or private training companies. Even in 2005, the on the job formalized training program that I received was a rarity. A lot of employees have had to absorb costs for training from private training companies so as to have a skill set for a line item or keyword on their resumes when interviewing.

Response was not specific to how companies are doing training. No matter how companies choose to handle training (outsourced, private training companies facilitating, online, etc.), it still is a function of Human Resources.

Old 05-01-2020, 10:51 AM

56 posts, read 61,679 times
Quote:

There is something with benefits. The COBRA departments at companies like ADP are busy sending out paperwork for COBRA enrollment, which is a giant waste of time and paper since very few people enroll in COBRA. COBRA has an ~5% enrollment rate.

Payroll is still there, and I am sure there are HR messes related to layoffs that need the attention of HR professionals.

This is the way to do it.

There is already evidence that initial divorce inquiries and filings are up, and will go up for the next 6-12 months.

Bankruptcy is a great one. Debt collection as well.
Response was not specific to how companies are doing training. No matter how companies choose to handle training (outsourced, private training companies facilitating, online, etc.), it still is a function of Human Resources.

Old 05-01-2020, 11:53 AM

95 posts, read 69,486 times
I wasn't working in 2008 as i was still in school, but right now accounting seems pretty steady right now for the big corporate jobs and public accounting. That includes tax, accounting, and auditing and finance. smaller shops and companies may be getting hit hard but the bigger ones that have to deal with how to report this stuff to investors and account for new tax laws is keeping us busy.

ETA - all these people are working from home or switching days in the office with others in their department.

Old 05-01-2020, 07:02 PM

4,212 posts, read 6,899,912 times
I am an engineer specializing currently in consulting in the Data Center world. Business has been booming the last 4 years anyway but the last 7 weeks I've been putting a hard cap on myself (to enjoy time with the wife and dog and relax during all of this) and still working 60 billable hour weeks. Not exactly a surprise that web, streaming, and cloud services are exploding more than ever at the moment.

Old 05-02-2020, 08:29 AM

168 posts, read 229,319 times
if you were to give advice to someone changing careers, or to a new college grad, of the two fields below, which field is more recession proof:

1. cybersecurity field
2. "big data" field

"field" = very broad definition, I know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: