Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2008, 10:35 AM

2,689 posts, read 3,965,099 times

Advertisements

Hi guys

My son has decided to attend SMU this fall, can anyone offer tips for him or me about the school, the area, Dallas? The good the bad and lets try to keep the ugly to a minimum, if possible.

Also if anyone knows about the ice hockey scene there, he plays and refs
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2008, 11:19 AM

6,578 posts, read 25,462,012 times
There's a binge drinking and drug problem at SMU that gets lots of attention. It's a nice school though, beautiful campus, rich part of town. Seems like there is plenty of ice hockey here, lots of travel teams, select teams.

Old 04-26-2008, 02:18 PM

709 posts, read 3,473,293 times
In all due respect, Far North Dallas...I know there was a problem with a "couple" of people in regards to binge drinking and drug problems a while back which was in the paper ...but honestly I don't know that you can say it is "problem" at SMU. There are drinking and drug issues at every university. Even when I went to school there were these same issues. I just chose to be responsible and stay away from the drugs and alcohol. I think there are more positive things that we could mention rather than go directly to the negative.

Old 04-26-2008, 02:39 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,462,012 times
It's not like I'm making this stuff up.
SMU Confronts Another Death :: Inside Higher Ed :: Higher Education's Source for News, and Views and Jobs

Old 04-26-2008, 03:42 PM

1,533 posts, read 7,239,247 times
SMU is probably the most elite of the Universities in the DFW/Denton area. I'm not sure if it has the same cache outside the region.

I believe freshman are required to live on campus. The school is located in an exclusive, wealthy neighborhood with a very good police force and very little crime.

I don't think SMU has anymore of a drug/alcohol problem than any other college campus.

Youth hockey has been getting pretty popular here, so your son maybe able to ref for youth teams. I don't believe SMU has an ice hockey team.

The student body of the school tends to be more conservative than the faculty. Despite the name, SMU is more a secular school. They have have little to no affiliation with the methodist church.

Old 04-26-2008, 05:37 PM

FarNorth Dallas I didn't mean for you to take offense. I'm not confrontational. Actually I don't think I even accused you of making something up. If it came out that way that was not my intention. I was just stating my thoughts based off my own readings just as you have done so with your link. I think sometimes we can take things out of context and make things seem bigger than they are. I'm not down playing the situation. There is a problem within society in general. I just don't think it is a "major" problem as SMU is a large campus with a lot of quality young adults attending. A problem for some, I agree. Again this is just an opinion not a post meant to offend anyone.

SMU is owned by the Methodist Church the last I heard...I'm Methodist and have several friends that are Methodist ministers. MaryS you have me curious now if this has changed in recent years. It very well may be the case. I think I will ask at church tomorrow. This is purely a inquisitive thing for me.

Last edited by sonshinelife; 04-26-2008 at 05:40 PM.. Reason: adding content

Old 04-26-2008, 06:59 PM

1,533 posts, read 7,239,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonshinelife View Post
FarNorth Dallas I didn't mean for you to take offense. I'm not confrontational. Actually I don't think I even accused you of making something up. If it came out that way that was not my intention. I was just stating my thoughts based off my own readings just as you have done so with your link. I think sometimes we can take things out of context and make things seem bigger than they are. I'm not down playing the situation. There is a problem within society in general. I just don't think it is a "major" problem as SMU is a large campus with a lot of quality young adults attending. A problem for some, I agree. Again this is just an opinion not a post meant to offend anyone.

SMU is owned by the Methodist Church the last I heard...I'm Methodist and have several friends that are Methodist ministers. MaryS you have me curious now if this has changed in recent years. It very well may be the case. I think I will ask at church tomorrow. This is purely a inquisitive thing for me.
I actually did quite a bit of research on the school about a year an half ago. I do believe they are owned by the Methodist church, but the school is very secular.

There has been the uproar from faculty over the future Bush Library. Sometime not to long ago they were going to have some kind of creationist or religious speaker, and again there was a lot of complaining.

I just pulled up my citations from my research. It was in a book called "The Insiders Guide To College" 32nd editions.

My point is that there aren't a lot of religious overtones at SMU.

Last edited by MaryS80; 04-26-2008 at 07:07 PM.. Reason: more info

Old 04-26-2008, 07:38 PM

Thanks MaryS80...this makes sense. I think you may be right in regards to not a lot of religious overtones...especially not compared to some other schools that are private Christian schools.

The Methodist church in general is not like other religions either. Within the church you can find conservative, liberal, mixed consertative/liberal, etc. I'm Methodist but come by way of a Disciple of Christ and Baptist parentage. I know my parents always had a hard time with some of the Methodist ways, but our church while growing up was family minded and met enough of my parent's ways that we became members. So, I guess this would make sense that SMU is secular. You find it within the Methodist churches, too. Hope this makes sense.

Old 04-26-2008, 08:12 PM

2,256 posts, read 9,761,000 times
There are 4 or 5 Dr Pepper Star Centers in the area that have games your son could ref at - both recreational and travel. The closest ones to SMU would be the one in E. Plano or the one in Farmer's Branch. Welcome to the Dr Pepper StarCenter

There is also another rink in Plano, that has one or two ice rinks, that is a little further Plano Sports Authority

There is also a practice rink in Richardson - he might be able to find a team to play on there IceTrainingCenter Richardson, TX (972)680-7825

There is also a rink in Addison - Addison Square Garden

I've also heard of a rink in the Valley View area. This should get him started!

I'm sure he's aware of the Dallas Stars, but there is also a minor league team that plays at the Dr Pepper Star Center in Frisco called The Tornadoes Official Website of The Texas Tornado - North American Hockey League - Frisco, TX

Old 04-26-2008, 09:31 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,854,747 times
that article about the SMU female student who was found dead is not an accurate indication of the average student at SMU--that girl had some severe emotional issues and problems that were not addressed -- while the manner of her death is very sad I don't think you can point to her being a student at SMU and participating in frat/soc party for her death...
this link is to article about the SMU student senate's response to the 3 student deaths last year
SMU Student Senate OKs campus pub idea | WFAA.com | Local News: TV (http://www.wfaa.com/sharedcontent/dws/news/localnews/tv/stories/DN-smupub_19met.ART.State.Edition1.46699b0.html - broken link)

but to the OP--SMU has about a 50-50 split of TX and out of state students--possible since the tuition is the same for residents and non, unlike most state schools. You would think that would mean some ethnic diversity but most of that comes from foreign students--probably about 12% of students are non US citizens...
there are fewer than 10% AA students (and I bet that most of them are athletic vs academic scholarship winners)
SMU is a school that has many children of wealthy people as students--it is definitely a frat/old boy network type of school--while it does have scholarship students and gets lots of alumni donations to fund scholarships and programs--there is a very distinct blue-blood aura--

while the graduate school of theology and business might be more working class and scholarship students--there are a lot of legacy students at SMU undergrads from what I understand

will your son be comfortable being around students who have a very high level of discretionary spending and are into the Greek way of life?

the school's info says that 75% f students get some type of scholarship assistance or financial aid --but that oculd just mean loans. I think a lot of scholarships are for athletes--male and female---
there are good teachers and students who go there for the academics--but it is kind of a layerd environment--

check out this link to survey done by supposedly SMU students
Southern Methodist University (StudentsReview) - College Reviews Student Opinion and Undergraduate College Ranking and Comments

note how many used snooty/closed-minded/arrogant to describe SMU students

and this link to the SMU student paper with its comments about why SMU students leave after their first year--I don't think it is worth paying that much to get a sub-par education...
SMU losing its best students - News

and yes--it was the students who objected to having the Bush Library housed at SMU
but notice that the board did not care and went ahead---so that shows how responsive to its student body and aware of the world and our president's role in it-- it is...not very--bunch of old rich friends of Bush senior who wanted to give his boy a home...
plus some pretty big contributors as well--and Laura B went here which shows HER bloodlines as well....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas