Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2020, 08:22 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,305,920 times

Advertisements

The actual native Texan is a rapidly vanishing endangered species in the DFW area. Think about it - from 1 million to 7 million in 50 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2020, 09:34 AM

9,546 posts, read 7,064,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livinginbuffalo View Post
Thanks everyone! I will check these out too! Appreciate your kindness! I’m nervous about moving to this area. When we moved from
buffalo to Atlanta, it was easy. So many transplants. I feel like we would be fish out of the water there. Are most people native Texans? Are there transplants? We all want to make friends! And no one has answered about tennis
Tennis is huge in Atlanta. Every neighborhood, even the lower priced neighborhoods, have tennis courts and tennis groups. Tennis here seems to be mainly at schools and public parks. I personally have never seen a non-country club neighborhood here with tennis courts, unlike Atlanta. No one is answering your question about tennis because it is not a big thing here. DFW is not a Great Plains Atlanta if that makes sense.

In general, I would advise against trying to make everything here like you have at home, because that limits you appreciation for what is new and unique to DFW. Just MO.

Many people in DFW came here for job opportunities, and from all over the world. If you are friendly, you can make friends. I'm sure you can find groups of tennis players to join. I understand that you feel nervous about another big move, but I'm not sure why you'd think you would be a "fish out of water" here.

Old 05-14-2020, 09:56 AM

528 posts, read 1,283,379 times
That makes me feel better. Thank you! I had an emoji after my “No one is answering me about tennis” but it didn’t show up. It was basically a “oh darn” emoji so I get it- it’s not a big thing. Glad to know there r plenty of transplants. We r definitely friendly but I’ll be 50 and my kids r older. It’s not as easy to meet people as it was when I was 35 and my kids were young. Honestly, I’m not as worried about me but more the kids. My husband will be busy with work and is an introvert so not as concerned about friends as his extrovert wife!! We r open to a new way of life but was just hoping to still have tennis which I LOVE so much! Thanks again all!

Old 05-14-2020, 12:34 PM

473 posts, read 1,199,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livinginbuffalo View Post
That makes me feel better. Thank you! I had an emoji after my “No one is answering me about tennis” but it didn’t show up. It was basically a “oh darn” emoji so I get it- it’s not a big thing. Glad to know there r plenty of transplants. We r definitely friendly but I’ll be 50 and my kids r older. It’s not as easy to meet people as it was when I was 35 and my kids were young. Honestly, I’m not as worried about me but more the kids. My husband will be busy with work and is an introvert so not as concerned about friends as his extrovert wife!! We r open to a new way of life but was just hoping to still have tennis which I LOVE so much! Thanks again all!
I am sure you'll find lots of Tennis courts and equally passionate folks in all the cities recommended in this thread. For Flower Mound area, Contact the Admin of Flower Mound Tennis Association Facebook page...

Old 05-14-2020, 01:19 PM

516 posts, read 449,958 times
A lot of cities in the area also have public tennis courts. You can just google the city parks and recreation tennis courts. You can't always assume they are in the best shape, but some are very nice.

Old 05-14-2020, 01:36 PM

BTW do your girls play tennis? The tennis courts at Byron Nelson HS in Troohy Club look like a swanky hotel.

Old 05-14-2020, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adixyz View Post
I am sure you'll find lots of Tennis courts and equally passionate folks in all the cities recommended in this thread. For Flower Mound area, Contact the Admin of Flower Mound Tennis Association Facebook page...
OMG!!! Thank you! It looks like they have what I’m looking for!

Old 05-14-2020, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
BTW do your girls play tennis? The tennis courts at Byron Nelson HS in Troohy Club look like a swanky hotel.
No they don’t! I wish they did! I started late in life about four years ago so wasn’t on our radar.

But maybe you all can help me with what they do do. One is a competitive dancer. I have heard Texas has amazing and very competitive dance teams!! She is a great dancer but coming in as a junior in high school will be tough. Any local studios known for competitive dance? How about the high school teams? She is a great dancer don’t get me wrong but it will be tough for her to make a team if the team is like top in state ya know? Like here, there are certain high schools that you just can’t make the, let’s say baseball team, so people move to a different high school so they child has a better chance. You know what i mean?

My younger one just retired from gymnastics and picked up diving which is a natural transition. She is just learning but here she would be able to walk onto our high school team as there just aren’t a huge number of divers. Does anyone know about the schools swim and dive teams? And what about club dive teams? We only have one club team in all of Atlanta and she’s the one most sad about moving so I definitely need to get her involved in diving or I’ll be in big trouble. Thanks again!!

Old 05-14-2020, 02:34 PM

11,852 posts, read 26,850,435 times
Here's a club USA Diving team that's in Keller, Lewisville and Southlake: GC Divers | Information About GD Divers

School-sponsored athletics in Texas are governed by the University Interscholastic League UIL. Here's their page for aquatics: https://www.uiltexas.org/swimming-diving

One thing you will definitely need to check into is whether or not a student can compete in both UIL (school) and club sports. The rules here are complex, and they vary by sport, but you want to make sure your student doesn't violate the rules.

Old 05-14-2020, 02:55 PM

Generally speaking, Southlake Carroll teams are almost always among the best, and as a result they are ultra competitive.

Keller and Flower Mound school teams are very good but not quite as intense as Carroll.

The exception to this is band and softball.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas