Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2020, 03:00 AM

5,429 posts, read 4,458,184 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ312 View Post
I agree. There's no excuse for it in this era. My parents did an ill advised and ill researched move during my elementary school years that permanently impacted my life (in my mid-30s now). My parents did this move during the infancy of the internet era, so researching was not as easy. I still think my parents should have done some library research and they would have been able to foresee some of the consequences of that move. A lot of people make moves that are not based upon sound logic for their needs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
Sounds like you hold a grudge a long time....
Not a grudge. It is a statement of fact based upon the way things unfolded in my life. Ill advised moves can damage lives. Moves in general should be carefully considered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeliza View Post
Left DFW about 2 weeks ago after 1 yr 10 mo. Enjoyed my neighborhood near Kessler Park/North Oak Cliff and the relatively short commute to work. Met some great people, had some great food, but ultimately found I'm a West Coast person 100%. I'm sure TX natives are as happy I'm gone as I am lol.
It can be unfortunate when things do not work out in a city, but at least you made the determination in a short period of time. Did you return to a city where you lived prior to Dallas or a brand new city?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeohnny View Post
Move to the city. There are far better neighborhoods than frisco. Frisco is bland
For the people who relocate here once they've formed their family, they typically move to DFW and settle into the Collin County suburbs.

The people who I feel are put into a difficult situation are the single and unattached people in their 20s/30s who move here for a corporate job at a big name company that has its office located in a suburb that's not within commutable distance of the central city amenities. The companies in the Legacy Corridor in Plano are a great example of this. It's difficult to turn down a job with a big name company because those names look great on a resume. However, working at one of those companies HQ'ed in the Legacy Corridor is difficult from a lifestyle perspective for someone single and unattached moving here with no social circle. It isn't a setup that is conducive to a good social life in this area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2020, 07:35 AM

7,685 posts, read 6,194,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongLeggedOne View Post
Oh noo.. I dont think I could. I considered it, I explored TN. Knox seems too polluted and behind in economical times. Socially too maybe. And UT. College towns while better than HS or under 18 communities, still dont do much for me unless u like to hit on young college girls. I dont even want Austin.

I want to show off mi beaut and get compliments, find deals shopping so Dallas is fit for me a bit more. I like Dance music, smooth Jazz, Id imagine theres a scene in Dallas to catch those acts in a square and less alternative like in Austin. I used to chase the latter when I was younger but now im getting old. close to middle aged. i'll be just as happy if someone plays Michael McDonald. Happier if someone played Expose or Neneh Cherry. I never thought Id say that either. Im realli old minded, but still in an active way to make it good in Dallas. I dont wanna loaf around like people do in Portland or possibly Knoxville or Tri Cities. no fkn way. Nashville is jammed now too and expensive. Not interested in TN really, Chattanooga I mighta been.

I just HOPE that after this Virus nonsense and after Trump, America can change for the better with less hate.

For the bolded - Sorry friend but that started in earnest in 2008, Trump isn't the cause IMO.

Coming from NJ, I too am seeking to explore TN, TX, but also OK, maybe AZ or FL.
TN - Knoxville or Chattanooga.
TX - in a mostly conservative people area.
OK - Oklahoma City or some areas right outside it.
AZ - Tucson area.
FL - Lakeland or where there's jobs that won't put me into poverty, maybe Jacksonville will be the ticket.

Old 05-24-2020, 03:21 PM

3,478 posts, read 6,557,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EcoDeb View Post
I would take DFW over Chattanooga, TN any day. I'm from western NC and know people who left Chattanooga, TN. Good Luck!
Curious how long ago? Chattanooga 15-20 years ago wouldn't have appealed to us. It's clear they have come a long way since then.

Old 05-24-2020, 04:11 PM

2,997 posts, read 3,102,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mSooner View Post
Curious how long ago? Chattanooga 15-20 years ago wouldn't have appealed to us. It's clear they have come a long way since then.
Yeah, most of the major Tennessee cities---Nashville, Knoxville, and Chattanooga---have all grown and improved noticeably over the last 15-20 years. Really the only one that hasn't changed much is Memphis.

Old 05-24-2020, 04:20 PM

5,429 posts, read 4,458,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atgss View Post
Coming from NJ, I too am seeking to explore TN, TX, but also OK, maybe AZ or FL.
TN - Knoxville or Chattanooga.
TX - in a mostly conservative people area.
OK - Oklahoma City or some areas right outside it.
AZ - Tucson area.
FL - Lakeland or where there's jobs that won't put me into poverty, maybe Jacksonville will be the ticket.
With TX, you're looking mainly at smaller areas. In Metro DFW, Collin and Tarrant Counties are reasonably conservative. I think Tarrant is more conservative than Collin.

In AZ, Tucson is liberal.

Oklahoma City is the most reliably ideologically conservative larger city in the USA.

Old 05-24-2020, 04:35 PM

4,001 posts, read 3,263,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mSooner View Post
Yeah, I think that is the case with a bunch of mid sized cities.

A lot of the amenities that have been traditionally associated with larger cities have trickled down...Tons of medium sized cities have some great food options these days....and food in general has never been better in the history of the world. I mean yes, it is a given you will have less options over all, but many medium or small sized cities have some good options for places to eat and drink...so unless you do that all the time for most people I think it is "Enough"

Add to that that you can get almost anything online these days. I mean, I rarely ever shop in person even for things like clothes.

Old 05-24-2020, 05:00 PM

2,997 posts, read 3,102,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasurevalley92 View Post

A lot of the amenities that have been traditionally associated with larger cities have trickled down...Tons of medium sized cities have some great food options these days....and food in general has never been better in the history of the world. I mean yes, it is a given you will have less options over all, but many medium or small sized cities have some good options for places to eat and drink...so unless you do that all the time for most people I think it is "Enough"

Add to that that you can get almost anything online these days. I mean, I rarely ever shop in person even for things like clothes.
Exactly. The gap has really closed these days in regards to many medium sized cities compared to larger ones. So, when you factor in how a lot of popular chains and franchises have pretty much made their way to most mid-sized cities these days, food options have gotten better overall across many places in America, and how online shopping has replaced a lot of brick and mortar shopping anyway, and you consider all of that IN ADDITION TO lower cost of living and less traffic, then moving from a huge, expensive, overpopulated metro to a smaller, cheaper, slower city or metro isn't as backwards a move these days as some people try to paint it to be.

Old 05-24-2020, 10:11 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,069,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasurevalley92 View Post

Some small and medium sized cities have a better food scene than some major metro areas. Charleston SC and New Orleans come to mind.

Old 05-25-2020, 01:53 PM

4,379 posts, read 4,621,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
Some small and medium sized cities have a better food scene than some major metro areas. Charleston SC and New Orleans come to mind.
I mean to be fair those 2 cities were considered major important cities before a major metropolitan city like Dallas was incorporated so that's to be expected of a Charleston or New Orleans. 2 cities with rich history and culture to match. Even Charleston had a bigger population than Dallas around 1900.

Old 05-25-2020, 05:42 PM

213 posts, read 183,362 times
I can totally see that being young and single in DFW can suck. We moved here with 3 small kids, and it fits our lifestyle very well. If I was dating and social not so much. A big draw here is job market, and good schools. And low crime. How does Chattanooga stack up on those criteria?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas