Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2020, 04:20 PM

315 posts, read 300,944 times

Advertisements

Ok, so with all these streaming services I thought internet/cable would be cheaper. Really I DO NOT want the cable part. I just want Internet and to be able to subscribe to those cool streaming services (e.g. YouTube, Sling TV, Hulu, etc) if I feel like it. Can anybody make any suggestions to get my bill cheaper, or am I actually getting a deal?

A breakdown of what I'm currently paying is below:

TV Services......$21.99
Internet...........$74.99
Taxes/Fees.......$9.75
Other Charges..$6.00
---------------------------
TOTAL $112.73
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2020, 04:31 PM

11,858 posts, read 26,891,424 times
You’re paying less than I am. The problem is that you have to have fast internet in order to stream tv. The cheaper, slower internet isn’t fast enough.

Old 05-16-2020, 04:35 PM

565 posts, read 559,422 times
That's actually not a bad bill for internet and cable to be honest.

Combining cable and internet for a reasonable cost is actually a good idea. The whole streaming and cutting the cord is extremely over-rated in terms of trying to beat the system

People think there going to get a better deal and outsmart the networks but there really not. The networks are going to get there cut of the money at the end of the day (streaming services have risen in prices every year and more and more programs are getting spread out to multiple services meaning your going to have to buy 3 or 4 different streaming services to get all your channels).

Unless you plan on cutting down what you watch or have a specific niche your better off doing what your currently doing. Give it 3 years and these streaming services like YouTube TV are going to have half the channels of cable but cost the same price

Old 05-16-2020, 05:16 PM

...yeah, to quite honest with you the only cable channels I want are CNN and ESPN. Other than that pls just give me a big pipe internet. I hope to somehow find a discount given that I don't want that many cable channels.

Old 05-16-2020, 05:57 PM

565 posts, read 559,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheuss View Post
...yeah, to quite honest with you the only cable channels I want are CNN and ESPN. Other than that pls just give me a big pipe internet. I hope to somehow find a discount given that I don't want that many cable channels.
You could probably get a good intro 12 month rate (all in with tax and fees $55 to 60) for internet

Problem is to get a stream service with both ESPN and CNN will probably cost you 25 to 30 bucks. By the time the intro rate ends they will jack your internet bill up to the 75-80 dollar a month mark so total cost you'll be back where you started

Old 05-17-2020, 07:15 AM

1,429 posts, read 1,779,810 times
Quote:
If you watch ESPN you are already getting a great deal. You are consuming the most expensive content that exists and being subsidized by the people who don’t care about sports enough to pay what they truly cost to produce. If ESPN goes a la carte the estimates for what they would have to charge are in the $20-30 per month context. I personally think it would be more. Beyond that, you’re getting a pretty decent deal on cable and internet anyways.

Old 05-17-2020, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastershake575 View Post
You could probably get a good intro 12 month rate (all in with tax and fees $55 to 60) for internet

Problem is to get a stream service with both ESPN and CNN will probably cost you 25 to 30 bucks. By the time the intro rate ends they will jack your internet bill up to the 75-80 dollar a month mark so total cost you'll be back where you started
You know I've always had the devious thought to flip-flop between cable providers. I would sign up to take advantage of ones intro 12 month rate, use it all up, then at the 12th month flip over to the next provider to take advantage of their offer.

I guess I've never tried it out but their's always a tiny red devil on my left shoulder whispering to me to do something like this.

Old 05-17-2020, 08:11 AM

3,754 posts, read 4,244,443 times
Quote:
You know I've always had the devious thought to flip-flop between cable providers. I would sign up to take advantage of ones intro 12 month rate, use it all up, then at the 12th month flip over to the next provider to take advantage of their offer.

I guess I've never tried it out but their's always a tiny red devil on my left shoulder whispering to me to do something like this.

...Except generally you can't. Most providers give you the low rates for 1 year, but it's a 2 year contract and you pay higher rates for the 2nd year. If you cancel early there's usually a penalty.

Old 05-18-2020, 05:43 AM

Ouuchh!!!

Old 05-18-2020, 09:00 AM

5,760 posts, read 11,550,601 times
Jumping back to the starting point.

btw, that was a great point to start.

Quote:
Ok, so with all these streaming services I thought internet/cable would be cheaper. Really I DO NOT want the cable part. I just want Internet and to be able to subscribe to those cool streaming services (e.g. YouTube, Sling TV, Hulu, etc) if I feel like it. Can anybody make any suggestions to get my bill cheaper, or am I actually getting a deal?

A breakdown of what I'm currently paying is below:

TV Services......$21.99
Internet...........$74.99
Taxes/Fees.......$9.75
Other Charges..$6.00
---------------------------
TOTAL $112.73
Yeah, few-to-none want the cable part.

Largely just low-quality, high-volume crap produced to just produce crap.

Meanwhile, at this point, everyone NEEDs the Internet.

So the industry has settled on Price-Gouging for the Internet.

They figure you do not have options, so they have targeted that choke-point to maximize Cash Flow.

But those are all just the re-re-statement of the obvious.

Question for you? Maybe think of this like a Market Survey?

What would be a reasonable price (to you) for High-Quality, High-Speed Internet?

(with none of the cable, phone, etc., that few-to-none seem to want anymore)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas