U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-01-2020, 09:32 PM
 
11 posts, read 2,900 times
Reputation: 15

Advertisements

Thank you so much everyone for all of the advise!!! im open to 45 min commute but really looking for a great neighborhood for the kids and my wife to make friends. That will be #1
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-02-2020, 12:41 PM
 
Location: WA
3,622 posts, read 4,629,811 times
Reputation: 4534
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastron View Post
Thank you so much everyone for all of the advise!!! im open to 45 min commute but really looking for a great neighborhood for the kids and my wife to make friends. That will be #1
Grand Prairie is very nearly in exact middle of the DFW metro area. A 45 min commute opens up a VAST area. I don't think you need to drive nearly that far. Very generally speaking the northern 1/2 of the metro area is going to be more upscale and affluent than the southern 1/2. But, of course, there are many many exceptions to that rule and lots of very nice suburban areas to the south, especially on the Fort Worth side.

In your shoes, I'd look closer first, and then expand your search out further. Texans tend to gravitate to the new construction first and the new suburbs with all the new construction tend to get a lot of attention, such as Allen, Frisco, Keller, McKinney etc. But honestly I like the more established places like Grapevine where the homes tend to be older but you have established tree-lined neighborhoods rather than a sea of new homes in a former pasture.

You best bet is probably to just find a reasonable place close to work to drop anchor for your first year and then spend your first year in TX getting out on the weekends exploring the shops, playgrounds, museums, schools, farmers markets, and neighborhoods in all directions. You'll find your place. Get the kids out. Explore schools and school playgrounds in various nearby suburbs. Check out the shopping. What kind of community amenities are there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-07-2020, 10:15 AM
 
11 posts, read 2,900 times
Reputation: 15
Does anyone have any experiance with Saginaw, TX? There are some homes for rent that have poped up but are unsure of the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-07-2020, 10:29 AM
 
Location: Grapevine, Texas
10,219 posts, read 21,678,709 times
Reputation: 7854
Saginaw is northwest of Fort Worth, and would be a very long commute to Grand Prairie, even in the afternoon. Depending on your route, it’s 30-35 miles each way. It’s not known as the best area, and the schools don’t have a very good reputation. Honestly, for what you’re needing, I would pass.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-07-2020, 01:06 PM
 
Location: WA
3,622 posts, read 4,629,811 times
Reputation: 4534
Yes, avoid Saginaw if you are working in Grand Prairie. There is no reason you can't find plenty of nice options much closer. There are at least a dozen better options within 15 miles of Grand Prairie.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-07-2020, 11:25 PM
 
11 posts, read 2,900 times
Reputation: 15
Ok thank you so much! We are pretty focused on Mansfield. We are heading down in a week or so to check things out.
Thanks for the advise!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-07-2020, 11:30 PM
 
11 posts, read 2,900 times
Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdiver View Post
Grand Prairie is very nearly in exact middle of the DFW metro area. A 45 min commute opens up a VAST area. I don't think you need to drive nearly that far. Very generally speaking the northern 1/2 of the metro area is going to be more upscale and affluent than the southern 1/2. But, of course, there are many many exceptions to that rule and lots of very nice suburban areas to the south, especially on the Fort Worth side.

In your shoes, I'd look closer first, and then expand your search out further. Texans tend to gravitate to the new construction first and the new suburbs with all the new construction tend to get a lot of attention, such as Allen, Frisco, Keller, McKinney etc. But honestly I like the more established places like Grapevine where the homes tend to be older but you have established tree-lined neighborhoods rather than a sea of new homes in a former pasture.

You best bet is probably to just find a reasonable place close to work to drop anchor for your first year and then spend your first year in TX getting out on the weekends exploring the shops, playgrounds, museums, schools, farmers markets, and neighborhoods in all directions. You'll find your place. Get the kids out. Explore schools and school playgrounds in various nearby suburbs. Check out the shopping. What kind of community amenities are there?
Yes this will have to be the plan. Thank you for the local knowlege!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-07-2020, 11:31 PM
 
11 posts, read 2,900 times
Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
Saginaw is northwest of Fort Worth, and would be a very long commute to Grand Prairie, even in the afternoon. Depending on your route, it’s 30-35 miles each way. It’s not known as the best area, and the schools don’t have a very good reputation. Honestly, for what you’re needing, I would pass.
Thank You!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-08-2020, 11:16 AM
 
Location: WA
3,622 posts, read 4,629,811 times
Reputation: 4534
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastron View Post
Ok thank you so much! We are pretty focused on Mansfield. We are heading down in a week or so to check things out.
Thanks for the advise!
Mansfield has been growing so fast in the past decade that the school district has been struggling to keep up.

One thing you will want to check out is how well the school district has done in keeping up with growth. Last time I was there was about 4 years ago. They have the biggest and best stadium between Waco and DFW so it is a popular venue for football playoffs. So we often wound up there for playoff games when we lived in Waco and my kids were in HS. I really don't know the situation today. But check at least that the schools are not a sea of portable classrooms as is the case in some really fast growing districts in TX, especially ones that have had levies fail.

I don't know whether that is the case with Mansfield. But it is something to investigate if you have school-age kids. Not all districts in TX are created equal and not all of them are equal to the task of keeping up with growth. It will be harder to do with all the schools closed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-08-2020, 02:01 PM
 
11 posts, read 2,900 times
Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdiver View Post
Mansfield has been growing so fast in the past decade that the school district has been struggling to keep up.

One thing you will want to check out is how well the school district has done in keeping up with growth. Last time I was there was about 4 years ago. They have the biggest and best stadium between Waco and DFW so it is a popular venue for football playoffs. So we often wound up there for playoff games when we lived in Waco and my kids were in HS. I really don't know the situation today. But check at least that the schools are not a sea of portable classrooms as is the case in some really fast growing districts in TX, especially ones that have had levies fail.

I don't know whether that is the case with Mansfield. But it is something to investigate if you have school-age kids. Not all districts in TX are created equal and not all of them are equal to the task of keeping up with growth. It will be harder to do with all the schools closed.
Thats an excellent point. Up here there isnt any growth at all and they send out letters saying they are is not much new enrollment which lessens funding.

I saw there is some parts of fort worth thats included in keller isd. google maps says like 35 min drive but it looks like it could be more. When we come out next week we will be able to say for sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top