Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2020, 08:40 AM

19,494 posts, read 17,729,533 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
Buy ether starting fluid from the auto parts store and spray them down with that. It doesn't make them mad like insecticides, and you can knock the nest down. No insecticides or poisonous residue.

Generally, if you knock the nest down (and I just told you how to do it without getting stung) they won't rebuild in the same place.

Part of living in Texas is going round and knocking down wasps' nests.

turf3 is right. High ether starting fluid works great. But be aware ether starting fluid is amazingly flammable and is dangerous to breathe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2020, 04:21 PM

213 posts, read 181,403 times
Related question - what can be done about a suspected wasp nest in my outdoor AC unit? I keep seeing a lot of activity going in and out of it. Don't want to just spray it like a madman either, but it's close to an area the kids play a lot.

Old 06-09-2020, 12:18 AM

1,529 posts, read 1,387,119 times
Whatever you do, make sure its at night because they are inactive.

Water+Dishwashing liquid+ peppermint extract

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zfvjTEfqRk8

Old 06-09-2020, 09:48 AM

19,494 posts, read 17,729,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanByMarriage View Post
Related question - what can be done about a suspected wasp nest in my outdoor AC unit? I keep seeing a lot of activity going in and out of it. Don't want to just spray it like a madman either, but it's close to an area the kids play a lot.
Interesting.

If the buggers live there I'd bet on the homesite being around the electrical service side/corner of the unit or maybe under the unit or pad. The coils would be inhospitable to say the least. The coils are hot and then cool/cold with only a small margin that would be tolerable and that margin moves around.

I'd suggest you go ahead and call a pro HVAC person for guidance. If you don't flatly understand what's going on - don't mess with the unit - you can turn off the power to an outside unit and still be killed by voltages stored in the capacitor bank.

Old 06-09-2020, 04:32 PM

213 posts, read 181,403 times
Thanks! I put a homemade trap next two it with no success for the last 2 days, so maybe it was just a thing during Sunday. But yes, I don't want to mess around with it.

Old 08-09-2020, 12:54 AM

283 posts, read 725,878 times
I have a wasp or hornet nest in the bushes, and tonight I sprayed it. I could only spray it from one angle though - the front side with the hole. I sprayed enough that the can ran out.

Is that enough to kill all the wasps/hornets in the nest, if I could only spray the front side of it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: