Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2020, 10:44 PM

7 posts, read 13,126 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone: Thank you in advance for reading (and hopefully responding to) my post. I am moving from Santa Monica to the DFW area for a job in Richardson, and would like advice on living options. Specifically, I am considering Uptown and Plano. My goal is to gather as much intel as I can on the 2 places, and then take it from there.

I am a single female; professional (went to law school but not currently practicing); no kids; in my late 40s, but have lots of energy, and my social circles tend to include people in their 30s and 40s.

I would greatly appreciate whatever intel you can share on Uptown and Plano. And, to the extent possible, it would be great if your responses could include at least some of the below-listed items.
• How long is the commute from Uptown to Richardson in the am? And how long from Richardson to Uptown in the pm? Would it change if I left Richardson after 7 pm?
• What’s the social scene like for a single female professional in her late 40s who has lots of energy and tends to get along best with people in their 30s and 40s?
• What’s the shopping like? For ex: Malls? Boutiques? If boutiques, what kind…higher end, such as places like Intermix? Any independent boutiques with cool, higher-end items? (yes…I am a fan of the higher-end boutiques…)
• Bars / Restaurants: What’s the story there? Mostly college? People in their 30s and 40s? Bars with cool craft cocktails and/or great wine lists? Or are we talking chock full of chain-types of sports bars / chilis?
• Gyms: Any good places for HIIT work-outs? With classes after 7 pm? after 8 pm?
• Walkability: I loved Santa Monica because I could walk everywhere. What’s the story with Uptown and Plano?
• Walking trails: Any good places for that?
• Suggestions on higher-end apartments?

Note: I totally get that what was true a few months ago (BC (Before COVID)) may no longer be the case, either in whole or in part. No need to spend time referencing same, but if you have intel on status (e.g., whether places are open, partially open, or closed but plan to re-open soon; whether traffic times shared are Before COVID or current; etc.) please feel free to share.

Again, a very heartfelt advance “thank you” for whatever intel you may provide.

Cheers!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2020, 04:46 PM

1,879 posts, read 1,554,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweet-tarte View Post
Hello everyone: Thank you in advance for reading (and hopefully responding to) my post. I am moving from Santa Monica to the DFW area for a job in Richardson, and would like advice on living options. Specifically, I am considering Uptown and Plano. My goal is to gather as much intel as I can on the 2 places, and then take it from there.

I am a single female; professional (went to law school but not currently practicing); no kids; in my late 40s, but have lots of energy, and my social circles tend to include people in their 30s and 40s.

I would greatly appreciate whatever intel you can share on Uptown and Plano. And, to the extent possible, it would be great if your responses could include at least some of the below-listed items.
• How long is the commute from Uptown to Richardson in the am? And how long from Richardson to Uptown in the pm? Would it change if I left Richardson after 7 pm?

You would have a reverse commute, but I would put it anywhere between half an hour to an hour depending on traffic and where you’re actually driving.

• What’s the social scene like for a single female professional in her late 40s who has lots of energy and tends to get along best with people in their 30s and 40s?

I can’t really help you here, but I’m sure there are plenty of singles who are just looking for socializing and friendship.

• What’s the shopping like? For ex: Malls? Boutiques? If boutiques, what kind…higher end, such as places like Intermix? Any independent boutiques with cool, higher-end items? (yes…I am a fan of the higher-end boutiques…)
We have NorthPark, and there’s a smaller high end mall in the park cities whose name is escaping me. There are boutiques everywhere in that area, but I’m not sure on brands.
• Bars / Restaurants: What’s the story there? Mostly college? People in their 30s and 40s? Bars with cool craft cocktails and/or great wine lists? Or are we talking chock full of chain-types of sports bars / chilis?
I would say most of the people are singles in their twenties or thirties who are dating.
• Gyms: Any good places for HIIT work-outs? With classes after 7 pm? after 8 pm?
Probably.
• Walkability: I loved Santa Monica because I could walk everywhere. What’s the story with Uptown and Plano?
Uptown will be way more walkable than Plano. It’s probably more walkable than Santa Monica actually.
• Walking trails: Any good places for that?
• Suggestions on higher-end apartments?

Note: I totally get that what was true a few months ago (BC (Before COVID)) may no longer be the case, either in whole or in part. No need to spend time referencing same, but if you have intel on status (e.g., whether places are open, partially open, or closed but plan to re-open soon; whether traffic times shared are Before COVID or current; etc.) please feel free to share.

Again, a very heartfelt advance “thank you” for whatever intel you may provide.

Cheers!
How much do you like living in Santa Monica? If you really like it, then somewhere like Uptown or Deep Ellum will have the same kind of feel and energy.

Old 06-07-2020, 05:30 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,292,163 times
I would do Uptown (well, Uptown adjacenct like Knox Street area right by the Katy Trail). Traffic is weird now because most offices are still WFH so traffic to Richardson might be 15-20 minutes now but usually 20-30ish? There is a ton of construction in that neighborhood now as a flagship Restoration Hardware is going up but the quiet streets that back up to the trail itself are lovely. Buena Vista & side streets off of that.

Social scene- wish I could help. I can just say there are a lot of single & divorced 40-somethings in Dallas.

Shopping is fabulous- almost every brand has their own boutique here between NorthPark and Highland Park Village. Great indie boutiques are Canary, Cabana & Elements- all on Lovers Lane. Stanley Korshak and Forty Five Ten are two high end department stores locally owned. That kind of scratches the tip of the iceberg for you. Also all this info is pre-COVID. Hopefully these indies will thrive but...???

Bars & restaurants- Places like Bistro 31 and Honor Bar in Highland Park Village are your 40-something girls night out places. Trendy but not actual “bar” scene. There is also a private club in Highland Park Village now if that’s your scene. Tons of great restaurants along Henderson Ave, in Deep Ellum, Bishop Arts, all over central Dallas really.

Gyms - tons! (Well pre-COVID....many are going to have a hard time making it with limited capacity and increased expenses). Class Studios, Soul Cycle, One Lagree, Equinox, BEYOND 500, lots of choices nearby!

Walkability- yes. The heat will stop you from May/June - late September but Uptown is walkable. The Katy Trail is great but busy. White Rock Lake just 10 minutes east. Also very popular to just walk through adjacent Highland Park.

Old 06-08-2020, 03:34 PM

625 posts, read 667,291 times
You will want near Uptown (or as someone else said - Uptown Adjacent). Looks for places like Travis Walk (https://knoxdistrict.com/). Richardson is a family friendly closer in suburb, but very little is walkable. It has some good ethnic restaurants, but not 'high-end'. Travis/Knox/Henderson/Turtle Creek/M Streets -- are the words I would search on. These are walkable (by Dallas standards) areas with lots of gyms, nightlife, shopping etc.

Elements of Uptown lean 20something, but there are definitely areas that are more mature.

In terms of highend shopping, Northpark Mall is awesome. (I would NEVER go to a mall normally, but Northpark is unique with major art installations). Intermix used to be there, but I think moved out. There are some boutiques on Knox street. There are very high-end stores in Highland Park Village (https://hpvillage.com/storelistings/). There are also upscale stores near Preston such as Tootsies. You won't find any of these in Richardson. (And I don't hate Richardson...just very different).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas