Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2020, 08:18 PM

649 posts, read 1,423,108 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephwin View Post
If we're throwing Chapel Creek into the mix, then add Starwood too. The older part of Chapel Creek is gorgeous. The only knock (in my opinion) to Chapel Creek is the main entrance/exit is right in front of Frisco HS and there's also an elementary right down the road, so school zones and traffic are a nightmare depending on what time you are trying to get in/out. I know there is a back exit, but that's not convenient if you want to get on DNT.
I think someone already mentioned Starwood. That’s actually why I mentioned Chapel Creek
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2020, 03:26 PM

6 posts, read 10,195 times
Hi everyone, Thank you for all of your replies!! We just got back from an 8 day house hunting trip. My head is swimming. Wow, its so much bigger & more urban than i imagined. We checked out many of the neighborhoods you have mentioned in Frisco & Plano (as it turns out my husband sadly wants to be much closer to work than i thought because he doesn't trust the current commute & i cant blame him). We looked at homes in stonebriar, prestonwood, gleneagles, starwood, chapel creek & 2 in “ north dallas”.

I was suprised by the neighboorhoods in dallas (bluffview, devonshire, preston hollow) or maybe we just got lost in the wrong areas? There were mega-mansions being built on smaller scraped lots beside very modest homes, construction trucks on the very narrow grid roads, lots of cars parked on the streets, trash piles sitting out & utility lines draping across the yards & pools of the two houses we saw. My husband absolutely hated it. Im sad because i dont think we actually saw the places you all are talking about (did we?).

McKinney had the trees i love & southlake has stunning homes but he has no desire to live out that far. We are going to be at odds on this one. He apparently likes “showy” houses & is leaning toward a big home in starwood (Frisco). He also apparently likes gated neighborhoods - do i even know this man? Are we crazy to spend 1.4m in Frisco? Realtor says the schools are better in Starwood than stonebriar (lewisville isd) thus better resale. I have a headache.

Thanks again for all of your advice. You guys are awesome. (Is this a word you can use in Texas? cause in NY they look at you like you have two heads)

Last edited by KDavies29; 06-21-2020 at 03:47 PM..

Old 06-21-2020, 07:31 PM

3,754 posts, read 4,235,035 times
LOL Yes you can say awesome.

Your dollar goes a lot farther in Plano and Frisco than it does in those areas of Dallas, and with a commute to Legacy West, Starwood is a good choice, but I personally would give the nod to the area around Gleneagles/Willow Bend because the lots are larger on average than you see in Starwood. For spending $1mil or more, they're just too close together for my taste. Plano schools carry a better reputation than Frisco as well. (I know you're empty nesters, but school districts and their rating play a large part in determining desirability and pricing when it comes to real estate in this area.)

At the end of the day though, you have lots of choices and I'm sure you'll be able to pick something you both will be happy with.

Old 06-21-2020, 08:48 PM

516 posts, read 450,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KDavies29 View Post
Hi everyone, Thank you for all of your replies!! We just got back from an 8 day house hunting trip. My head is swimming. Wow, its so much bigger & more urban than i imagined. We checked out many of the neighborhoods you have mentioned in Frisco & Plano (as it turns out my husband sadly wants to be much closer to work than i thought because he doesn't trust the current commute & i cant blame him). We looked at homes in stonebriar, prestonwood, gleneagles, starwood, chapel creek & 2 in “ north dallas”.

I was suprised by the neighboorhoods in dallas (bluffview, devonshire, preston hollow) or maybe we just got lost in the wrong areas? There were mega-mansions being built on smaller scraped lots beside very modest homes, construction trucks on the very narrow grid roads, lots of cars parked on the streets, trash piles sitting out & utility lines draping across the yards & pools of the two houses we saw. My husband absolutely hated it. Im sad because i dont think we actually saw the places you all are talking about (did we?).

McKinney had the trees i love & southlake has stunning homes but he has no desire to live out that far. We are going to be at odds on this one. He apparently likes “showy” houses & is leaning toward a big home in starwood (Frisco). He also apparently likes gated neighborhoods - do i even know this man? Are we crazy to spend 1.4m in Frisco? Realtor says the schools are better in Starwood than stonebriar (lewisville isd) thus better resale. I have a headache.

Thanks again for all of your advice. You guys are awesome. (Is this a word you can use in Texas? cause in NY they look at you like you have two heads)
Yes, you were most definitely in the wrong neighborhoods in Dallas. It sounds like you were looking west of Midway Road. The area you are describing sounds just like the neighborhood by Walnut Hill and Marsh that is under transition from small old homes to new mansions. The neighborhoods that were suggested in Dallas have larger lots.

It's unfortunate that you were not able to see the Dallas neighborhoods mentioned, however, it seems that they were out of the question anyway. As much as I prefer Dallas over the suburbs, I don't blame your husband wanting a shorter commute. While Frisco may not be the vibe you are looking for, it still is a desirable area that will hold value if you want to sell in the future. Frisco is becoming another major business hub.

Old 06-21-2020, 09:25 PM

149 posts, read 146,629 times
Quote:

There was a major tornado that tore across parts of north dallas in Oct in some of the areas not far from preston hollow so not sure if you happened to drive across that part of the city

Old 06-21-2020, 10:18 PM

263 posts, read 564,881 times
Since your husband has a gated neighborhood preference did you look in any of these communities which are either in Plano or Far North Dallas (but Plano ISD). I think they would be a better fot than some of the lovely neighborhoods south of 635.

Plano
Normandy Estates
Kings Gate
Cypress Point

Dallas/PISD
Oakdale
Oak Tree Estates

Old 06-22-2020, 10:19 AM

1,041 posts, read 1,190,788 times
Quote:

It's entirely possible that you did see the areas that were suggested. Yes, these areas often have tear-down activity which means construction on the small streets. People in these neighborhoods do park cars on the street at times. Anywhere in the city of Dallas there is "bulky trash pickup" which takes place once a month and even in fancy neighborhoods people put stuff on the curb. Finally the power and telephone lines are overhead which is common in any US neighborhood built before say the 1960s.

Old 06-22-2020, 12:02 PM

625 posts, read 666,373 times
I'm guessing you didn't see the specific areas that we suggested in Dallas - as the areas I am thinking of are quite beautiful (https://www.dmagazine.com/publicatio...sidewalk-ends/). Preston Hollow is one of the most sought after areas in Dallas (https://neighborhoods.dmagazine.com/...reston-hollow/). But that said, specific boundaries are hard to describe AND due to last year's tornado - there is tons of construction going on.

That said, I think your husband is leaning more to Northern suburbs. I get wanting a short commute (I work downtown and will never have more than 20 minutes commute personally)! Current commutes are obviously not accurate, but I also suspect that commutes will always be going down as more and more companies are moving to WFH.

What are you going to be doing? You don't say if you work, but I suspect not. Will you be shopping/volunteering/etc? I'd look to assess what you will be doing and how you may wish to spend your time.

I'd probably look at Plano based homes - Frisco may be farther out than you want. Frisco is a very family friendly area, but doesn't have the luxury cachet reputation.

Old 06-22-2020, 03:56 PM

6 posts, read 10,195 times
So I just finished an extensive review of all the home listings on realtor and I think I know why our agent didn’t take us into the nicest parts of Bluffview & Preston Hollow. It looks like the estate homes (the beautiful ones with large lots & trees) are out of our price range. I only found one under 2.5 mil.
The other homes in the area are on much smaller lots with very few trees in the back yards. There are a few older style homes beautifully remodeled but most without pools or many trees. Nevertheless, I am definitely gonna go back & take a look as soon as we are back in town next week.
Thanks again everyone for all of your thoughts & advice.

Old 06-22-2020, 06:49 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,285,464 times
Quote:
So I just finished an extensive review of all the home listings on realtor and I think I know why our agent didn’t take us into the nicest parts of Bluffview & Preston Hollow. It looks like the estate homes (the beautiful ones with large lots & trees) are out of our price range. I only found one under 2.5 mil.
The other homes in the area are on much smaller lots with very few trees in the back yards. There are a few older style homes beautifully remodeled but most without pools or many trees. Nevertheless, I am definitely gonna go back & take a look as soon as we are back in town next week.
Thanks again everyone for all of your thoughts & advice.
Does your agent sell in Preston Hollow / Bluffview or mainly in Plano/Frisco? You can look up these listings- all under 2.5M

Greenway Parks - 5539 Montrose, 75209 - on the greenbelt

Devonshire - 8923 Devonshire, 75209 - 1/2 acre creek lot

Estate area of Preston Hollow - 9303 Rockbrook, 75220 - 1/2 acre lot in prime Old PH- throw a stone, hit a billionaire neighbor’s home...

Estate area of Preston Hollow - 5845 Lupton - 1/2 acre, maybe not enough trees on property for you but the neighborhood is gorgeous.

Inventory is pretty lean right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: