U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2020, 03:48 PM

36,733 posts, read 40,870,108 times

Advertisements

Carrollton has way to many foundation problems. I prefer Lewisville if you can make the commute work.

It's been great for many of my first time buyers over the years. Want a older fixer upper, try Farmers Branch. Lot of money coming into that area due to it's great location.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2020, 06:27 PM

42 posts, read 25,183 times
The condo I sold in 2017 is for sale again (sellers are upgrading).
I know you wanted a 3 br home but it’s a great price for the money and the location is fantastic!
The HOA does cover the entire structure, so you’ll never have to worry about the roof or foundation. Your total monthly payment will still be pretty low.
I can’t recommend this complex enough. Beautiful park across the street, safe, quiet. I only sold because I got a job in Fort Worth and wanted to get a house before the prices went up any further.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...24169117_zpid/

Old 06-17-2020, 08:34 PM

6,804 posts, read 5,671,435 times
Hebron High School attendance zone (Carrollton) is a great investment.

Firewheel area of N. Garland also very worth looking into.

Old 06-17-2020, 09:51 PM

4,191 posts, read 14,053,077 times
I'm gonna suggest going east a little... Rowlett, North Garland, Sachse or Wylie. I have one coming up soon in Rowlett for 269K totally updated. It's a single family home.

Commute to PGBT/75 is about 20 minutes.

Naima

Old 06-17-2020, 11:23 PM

4,536 posts, read 2,537,562 times
I think it's often taken as a given that desirable places have better resale value, but I'm not sure that's true. Desirable places are obviously worth more, but that's already priced in. Resale value is a function of changing dynamics, not general desirability. It's possible that Plano will appreciate at a quicker rate than the other places you are considering, but it's possible that it won't. Any facts about Plano that are widely known now (such as a good school system) should already be reflected in today's prices, which means they shouldn't affect the appreciation rate.

Old 06-18-2020, 09:14 AM

2,450 posts, read 2,087,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsumner View Post
I'm gonna suggest going east a little... Rowlett, North Garland, Sachse or Wylie. I have one coming up soon in Rowlett for 269K totally updated. It's a single family home.

Commute to PGBT/75 is about 20 minutes.

Naima
OP, I'm sorry to tell you that the ship you are looking for sailed a good 10 years ago. However, as it stands today, the above is the best advice for you, but even those areas might be a stretch at this point.

Old 06-22-2020, 09:43 AM

167 posts, read 227,128 times
My daughter recently sold her townhome on Forest Highlands Dr. in Plano (McDermott and Robinson Rd area) ... (she bought while in her mid-thirties). HOA was fairly low and they took great care of the neighborhood. She did a lot of walking, and never had any issues. There's a similar townhome community across McDermott ... they go fast, but they may well be in your range. Hers certainly sold in that range last last year.

Old 06-22-2020, 10:21 AM

376 posts, read 795,005 times
I agree with the recommendation of Yale/Duck Creek. I had a single coworker buy in Duck Creek a few years ago and she loved it...perfect sized house, very safe, super neighbors.

I grew up in that neighborhood and my parents still live in the house. They have been having a great time socially distancing in the front yard with neighbors...most of whom are gen z. Don't know why that neighborhood is overlooked so often...it's a really great little pocket and has always been affordable.

Old 06-23-2020, 04:24 PM

284 posts, read 219,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastershake575 View Post
In my opinion the absolute best bang for your buck area in Richardson for single person on a tight budget is Yale. It's a very good pocket to be in and the houses are 70s which means they're about 15 to 20 years newer than the affordable houses on the west side. It's in a very safe pocket too, you have a golf course community to the north, a technology corridor to the west, duck Creek which is a neighborhood built around a creek and huge park to your south, and you have spring park which is a nice HOA community to your east. The Owens running trail even splits down the neighborhood which it nice

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/2...27159920_zpid/

This is just an example of an affordable house in Yale. Seems to check all the boxes. The trail takes you through Yale, up to the Sherill, Park golf course, through duck Creek (all extremely walkable). Nightlife is just right up the street in the relatively new city line district. Stores such as Target, whole foods, and Kroger are all 5 minutes or less away. The neighborhood like I mentioned earlier is surrounded on all four sides by good areas, it's in a good little pocket
I second Yale Park. That's where I bought 15 years ago as a thirty-something single woman. I loved the nearby trails, access to the DART station since I worked downtown, and affordability. OP should definitely look there. Sometimes I regret not holding onto my house when I moved!

Old 06-27-2020, 10:02 PM

23 posts, read 13,724 times
I have a coworker who last year bought a house in the Carrollton Summertree neighborhood for 260K something. 4 bed, 2 bath. It's off the George Bush Turkpike and Marsh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas