Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2020, 10:18 AM

5 posts, read 7,905 times

Advertisements

So i'm not a baby, in my mid thirties, and looking to make my first home purchase. I've been struggling on focusing on an area based on what I need and want.
  • I work in north Richardson close to 75/GBT & don't want to be much more than 30 min drive.
  • I'm single, mid thirty, no kids but do have dogs.
  • I'm looking for a single family home, trying to keep under $270k (like $220 - $260 range. For a 3 bedroom, 2 bath home.
  • I want to live in a walk able neighborhood (i.e. I want to feel safe being a single solo female living there - not referring to accessibility)
  • I would like to have some access to local restaurants/bars if possible for social life, but I'm not an Uptown party person by any means.

I've been renting for years, I've lived in Bedford and Irving but my commute will be too much to look there. I've lived in Lower Greenville but can't afford to buy there. Knowing I want a single family home I've been honing in on PLANO, CARROLLTON, and RICHARDSON. Anyone with suggestions on honing that area in more? Or suggestions?

Concerns:
> My social life/friends are mostly in downtown Dallas so the further north I go, the more I know I'll lose opportunity and time to see them. I have one friend that lives closer to Carrolton which helps.
> My family lives in Denton so I like being decently able to get up to see them
> PLANO - feels "plain" (no offense) and super family based. I mostly can afford the east side of Plano, but have seen some houses in sketchy neighborhoods I'm not comfortable with. But from what I read it's the best place for my price range to get in and have a good investment/ROI for resale in future (say 5 years).
> CARROLLTON - I like the accessibility to Dallas and Addison, plus the closer to my family in Denton. All +s. But I am concerned about not having a good ROI on the investment in comparison to Plano (I hear that Plano is great for resale since so many families want to live there, Carrollton less so). I also am still getting my bearings on good areas to live in.
> RICHARDSON - I was told to stay more west of 75, but the options are slim (like 1-2 houses) so it's a good thought but right now I don't have many options to work with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2020, 10:29 AM

2,414 posts, read 3,484,744 times
Your price range would have worked 10-15 years ago but that’s sort of the entry level into any decent area now and you’ll likely be competing with investors buying up rental property.

Find a good realtor maybe you could get lucky and find something in Lake Highlands or Richardson. It will likely need a ton of updating if it’s in a decent neighborhood.

Garland and Mesquite aren’t glamorous but your money would stretch a lot further out there if you really want a 3 bedroom detached house.

Last edited by RonnieinDallas; 06-17-2020 at 04:00 PM..

Old 06-17-2020, 10:32 AM

11,853 posts, read 26,854,435 times
I agree. In the areas you're looking at, homes in that price range that are not in a sketchy area will be hen's teeth to find, or they will be a serious fixer-upper (AKA a "money pit.")

You might consider looking at townhomes instead of 3/2 SFH. There will be more options in your budget.

Old 06-17-2020, 11:04 AM

I did check out some townhomes but the HOAs were pushing upwards of $200 - $500/month which weren't going to work.

Old 06-17-2020, 11:21 AM

630 posts, read 657,073 times
I would forget about the “ROI”. Houses at that price level sell quickly. East Plano or the west part of Carrollton is fine.

Old 06-17-2020, 11:26 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,308,278 times
North Garland. Older parts of Richardson near Central (like, just west of Custer Rd north of Belt Line).

Old 06-17-2020, 12:17 PM

Is Lewsiville - if I don't get too far west/north - worth it? I've seen more options for my price listed there but haven't spend much time there. I typically just drive through it up to Denton.

Old 06-17-2020, 12:40 PM

516 posts, read 450,141 times
This may be pushing on your commute requirements, but I highly recommend the Chapel Hill neighborhood in Farmers Branch It is surrounded by 635, Marsh, Webb Chapel and Valley View. The southern part of the neighborhood may have homes in your price range, at least there were some a year ago. A lot of young couples have moved into this area due to it's price and proximity to Dallas. It is a very safe neighborhood with three parks, an elementary school, and a lot of people running/walking throughout the day.

Restaurants and bars - You would have to go into Dallas or Addison. There is a brand new restaurant park that's been build in Farmers Branch that will bring some very nice restaurants to the area. It was supposed to open in the spring, but the date has been pushed back due to COVID. We shall see if it can survive.

Old 06-17-2020, 12:43 PM

11,853 posts, read 26,854,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by merriemelodie View Post
Is Lewsiville - if I don't get too far west/north - worth it? I've seen more options for my price listed there but haven't spend much time there. I typically just drive through it up to Denton.
The only bad thing will be that your commute will require toll roads, which will get expensive.

Old 06-17-2020, 01:01 PM

565 posts, read 557,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by merriemelodie View Post
So i'm not a baby, in my mid thirties, and looking to make my first home purchase. I've been struggling on focusing on an area based on what I need and want.
[list][*]I work in north Richardson close to 75/GBT & don't want to be much more than 30 min drive.[*]I'm single, mid thirty, no kids but do have dogs.[*]I'm looking for a single family home, trying to keep under $270k (like $220 - $260 range. For a 3 bedroom, 2 bath home. [*]I want to live in a walk able neighborhood (i.e. I want to feel safe being a single solo female living there - not referring to accessibility)

> RICHARDSON - I was told to stay more west of 75, but the options are slim (like 1-2 houses) so it's a good thought but right now I don't have many options to work with.
people prefer Westside over East mostly because of schools which doesn't apply to your situation

last month there was over a handful of houses in your price range in West Richardson but none currently. Heights, North Rich, and greenwood hills are the three neighborhoods in West Richardson that often have houses in your price range

In my opinion the absolute best bang for your buck area in Richardson for single person on a tight budget is Yale. It's a very good pocket to be in and the houses are 70s which means they're about 15 to 20 years newer than the affordable houses on the west side. It's in a very safe pocket too, you have a golf course community to the north, a technology corridor to the west, duck Creek which is a neighborhood built around a creek and huge park to your south, and you have spring park which is a nice HOA community to your east. The Owens running trail even splits down the neighborhood which it nice

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/2...27159920_zpid/

This is just an example of an affordable house in Yale. Seems to check all the boxes. The trail takes you through Yale, up to the Sherill, Park golf course, through duck Creek (all extremely walkable). Nightlife is just right up the street in the relatively new city line district. Stores such as Target, whole foods, and Kroger are all 5 minutes or less away. The neighborhood like I mentioned earlier is surrounded on all four sides by good areas, it's in a good little pocket
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas