U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2020, 11:48 PM

3 posts, read 1,550 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I have a new house building in Irving and as per the lot plan I was supposed to get 19 ft 1 inch in the backyard. The lot plan clearly shows that. The house currently is in framing and to my surprise when I measured my backyard today, it shows only 18 feet. I am going to ask my builder how can they make such mistake. I paid premium for the lot and was expecting them to follow the specifications. I am looking for suggestions on how to deal with this situation. Obviously, they cannot move the house. I would like to know if such mistakes are even allowed.

Thanks
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2020, 12:12 AM

4,082 posts, read 5,179,252 times
Is there a fence?

Maybe the house is in the right spot and the fence was put in 1 ft inside your property line. That also sometimes happens.

Old 06-22-2020, 12:21 AM

Nope. There is not fence yet and I measure to the point where the fence is supposed to come. There are other houses in the neighborhood so I am pretty sure my measurement was correct.

Old 06-22-2020, 12:48 AM

4,082 posts, read 5,179,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjakkani View Post
Nope. There is not fence yet and I measure to the point where the fence is supposed to come. There are other houses in the neighborhood so I am pretty sure my measurement was correct.
The standard is that fences are set back from the property line so that they are entirely on the fence-owners property and not exactly on the property line. I think 6" is the typical setback but it might be different in your jurisdiction.

Maybe also you are getting a bigger house than you thought you were getting.

Old 06-22-2020, 04:38 AM

36,735 posts, read 40,880,940 times
There is probably a good explanation for this. Talk to your Builder and let him explain.

It may have to do with the setback requirements of the house.

Or what you received was Preliminary and just an estimate on the footage.

Old 06-22-2020, 04:44 AM

4,191 posts, read 14,054,457 times
Depending on the builder, it could be covered in the contract that the measurements of the lot could possibly change if they made changes to the plan or the house. Usually a betterment. Did you have a lot fit? It could be because of setback, easement or how the permit was submitted. At the end of the day, you need to decide if you can live with a lot that doesn't include 13 inches you expected.

Naima

Old 06-22-2020, 11:28 AM

9,897 posts, read 4,827,702 times
How did you "measure your backyard"?

Unless you found the surveyor's pins, you're guessing.

Old 06-22-2020, 11:56 AM

3,698 posts, read 5,712,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
How did you "measure your backyard"?

This.

The statement "I am pretty sure my measurement was correct." to me implies you are guessing in regard to where you are actually measuring to/from.

Certainly bring the concern up to the builder and let them explain. But go into it with an open mind and NOT under the assumption that your quick self measurement is accurate and that they are already wrong before the conversation starts.

Old 06-22-2020, 12:49 PM

11,017 posts, read 11,090,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
how did you "measure your backyard"?

+1.

Old 06-23-2020, 10:54 PM

So I found the surveyor pins. My lot is at a elevation and the lot behind me is at lower level. There is a retaining wall separating my lot from his lot. The fence will go on the retaining wall. The surveyor pin is 1 feet inside, in the lot behind me. So the lot behind my lot has one feet more and I lost a feet.
The lot plan given to me, when I signed up for the lot, says that from the fence my backyard length should be 19 feet but now the distance from the pins is 19 feet and from the fence only 18 feet.
I essentially lost 50 ft of the backyard and I paid premium price for this lot.

It sounds absurd to me but before I go talk to the builder I am trying to get every ones opinion and whether I have a case to talk to the builder.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: