Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Upcoming school year
Virtual 34 47.89%
In-person 37 52.11%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2020, 08:07 AM

8,160 posts, read 3,706,220 times

Advertisements

PISD is going to be fully online through Labor day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2020, 08:09 AM

516 posts, read 453,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRockwell View Post
This is all about money. Pure and simple.
How is this about money when state and federal governments have threatened to withhold money? Or the fact that more money has to be spent to accommodate students learning at home?

Old 07-17-2020, 08:24 AM

236 posts, read 155,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NTXPerson View Post
How is this about money when state and federal governments have threatened to withhold money? Or the fact that more money has to be spent to accommodate students learning at home?
Virtual education is worthless. I have kids myself and have spoken to numerous parents across the country that did the virtual education the last few months of school. Every single one (100%) said it was worthless to the kids.

IMO they should either cancel school (postpone) or start it the way it should be (in person). I am OK with either.

The reason this is about money is because if they postpone or cancel school there will be lawsuit after lawsuit because of property taxes. Not to mention the teachers also want their full time pay for the virtual classroom as do all of the other administrators. At the end of the day the state knows if they want to collect property taxes they need to make school available. The teachers know if they want full pay they need to talk about how virtual is needed. It is going to be worthless until kids get back in the classroom.

This is purely about money.

If you (they) believe that school is not safe and they feel the actual education is truly important, then the "right" thing to do is cancel school until further notice (postpone for a year or maybe 6 months), which will never happen due to what I wrote above.

Old 07-17-2020, 05:09 PM

3,754 posts, read 4,254,508 times
Quote:
If you (they) believe that school is not safe and they feel the actual education is truly important, then the "right" thing to do is cancel school until further notice (postpone for a year or maybe 6 months), which will never happen due to what I wrote above.

LOL You read it here first folks. School will never be canceled.

Old 07-17-2020, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katana49 View Post
LOL You read it here first folks. School will never be canceled.
Cancel means cancel for a month or two until further notice. Thought that was obvious. How you missed what was in parenthesis is beyond me. School was cancelled last spring for a few weeks so when you say never you are wrong

Old 07-17-2020, 06:40 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,334,098 times
Quote:
Cancel means cancel for a month or two until further notice. Thought that was obvious. How you missed what was in parenthesis is beyond me. School was cancelled last spring for a few weeks so when you say never you are wrong
School was not cancelled last spring. Most districts went straight to virtual learning after spring break with a few of the ones with early spring breaks taking 1 additional week for spring break (for families) and a training week for staff to get up to speed on at-home learning.

Old 07-17-2020, 06:53 PM

Interesting since I got multiple emails saying “School is cancelled this week” or “School is cancelled next week.” As did multiple people in other states that I know

http://www.news12.com/story/41874249...vid19-outbreak

From that article.

Gov. Ned Lamont has ordered public schools statewide closed from March 17 through at least April 20. That means cancelled

We also had 1 -2 weeks cancelled not including the prep for online. One could also argue that school was cancelled for the week they were preparing.

Alvarado (in TX) cancelled school for 2 days on Mar 12 and March 13.

For you people saying never it sure isn't never.

Arlington ISD cancelled school until March 30 and that was posted March 12.

Burleson cancelled school until April 5 after spring break was over March 20.

One could also argue that extending spring break was cancelling school since it was scheduled.

Definition of cancel:decide or announce that (a planned event) will not take place.

I'll repeat it again. IMO they should cancel school in Mid August until at least after Labor Day.

ETA: When they finally decided to start school again in the spring with the online format many were slated to go from they day they started back until May 29 or June 5. Many cancelled the last 1-2 weeks and ended on May 22 and just said that is all.

Last edited by CHRockwell; 07-17-2020 at 07:11 PM..

Old 07-17-2020, 09:48 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,334,098 times
Quote:
Interesting since I got multiple emails saying “School is cancelled this week” or “School is cancelled next week.” As did multiple people in other states that I know

A list of area schools, universities closed amid COVID-19 outbre

From that article.

Gov. Ned Lamont has ordered public schools statewide closed from March 17 through at least April 20. That means cancelled

We also had 1 -2 weeks cancelled not including the prep for online. One could also argue that school was cancelled for the week they were preparing.

One could also argue that extending spring break was cancelling school since it was scheduled.

Definition of cancel:decide or announce that (a planned event) will not take place.

I'll repeat it again. IMO they should cancel school in Mid August until at least after Labor Day.

ETA: When they finally decided to start school again in the spring with the online format many were slated to go from they day they started back until May 29 or June 5. Many cancelled the last 1-2 weeks and ended on May 22 and just said that is all.
I just can’t with you. I had to google Gov. Lamont - who I have never heard of since Connecticut is 1900 miles from Texas and NOT RELEVANT TO DALLAS.

Old 07-17-2020, 10:40 PM

183 posts, read 211,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by serger View Post
PISD is going to be fully online through Labor day.
So basically no school until after labor day. The home school is a joke - clicking from screen to screen to screen and having to force my kids to do it is just not worth it.

Old 07-18-2020, 07:21 AM

3,754 posts, read 4,254,508 times
Quote:

A list of area schools, universities closed amid COVID-19 outbre

From that article.

LOL What a joke. You just said that school won't be canceled for the upcoming year due to a property tax issue and like always now you're backpedaling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas