Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2020, 06:07 PM

27 posts, read 15,313 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by texstout View Post
Most of us won't argue that there can be nice homes at any price point if you aren't too picky on locale.

Now - not sure if you were using Trader Joes as a euphemism for any grocery store or if you were specific to TJs. If so, there aren't as many of them as there are in other states and all of the Dallas ones that I know of are in fairly expensive areas. https://locations.traderjoes.com/tx/dallas/

Outside of central Dallas, they have two in Southlake and Plano.

Once again, your best bet might be in finding a realtor that specializes in relocations (although many of those align with big companies). All of the realtors that I am friends with specialize in certain areas of Dallas and rarely go outside of their bubbles (unless for a friend who already knows what they are looking for).
Understood...then I guess I'll need to work with multiple agents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2020, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texstout View Post
Most of us won't argue that there can be nice homes at any price point if you aren't too picky on locale.

Now - not sure if you were using Trader Joes as a euphemism for any grocery store or if you were specific to TJs. If so, there aren't as many of them as there are in other states and all of the Dallas ones that I know of are in fairly expensive areas. https://locations.traderjoes.com/tx/dallas/

Outside of central Dallas, they have two in Southlake and Plano.

Once again, your best bet might be in finding a realtor that specializes in relocations (although many of those align with big companies). All of the realtors that I am friends with specialize in certain areas of Dallas and rarely go outside of their bubbles (unless for a friend who already knows what they are looking for).
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
Well, the buyer's agent he's referring to is in his current location. Which begs the question, if you're not in the market for a house (because you're planning to move) why do you have a buyer's agent?

I think maybe he's referring to the "fee type" buyer's agent where they get paid whether or not you buy a house, a flat fee.
I have changed my mind and my locale. It happens. A good buyer's agent is representing you and you are their client. They should educate and encourage all proper inspections and requests. If they can't even bring that to the table, then why would I need them in the first place? Their profession is therefore useless by your description. You are basically saying that agents are nothing more than go betweens of two parties entering into a contract. I think any good realtor would find that insulting.

Old 06-26-2020, 03:46 AM

13 posts, read 7,978 times
Under 300k is entirely possible in DFW in an area with good schools, low crime, and with a move in ready home. Anyone who tells you differently is just being uppity.

I have bought 3 homes in DFW and my experience has been that it is better to work with a realtor that knows the area you are interested in or works with other realtors that can provide insight to areas which they are unfamiliar. For example, we just purchased a home and the neighborhoods we initially were looking at were apparently notorious for cheap construction. Never would have known that if our agent hadn’t clued us in.

Old 06-26-2020, 08:14 AM

1,206 posts, read 1,533,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcbocky View Post
Under 300k is entirely possible in DFW in an area with good schools, low crime, and with a move in ready home. Anyone who tells you differently is just being uppity.

I have bought 3 homes in DFW and my experience has been that it is better to work with a realtor that knows the area you are interested in or works with other realtors that can provide insight to areas which they are unfamiliar. For example, we just purchased a home and the neighborhoods we initially were looking at were apparently notorious for cheap construction. Never would have known that if our agent hadn’t clued us in.
Couldn't have said it better! OP, do you have any other "wants" other than quiet, access to TJ's and shopping? The Mid Cities area, aka HEB which stands for Hurst Euless Bedford might be a good fit for you. I live in Colleyville very near this area (basically across the street) and it takes me about 10 min to get to the Southlake TJ.

I also wonder if you might narrow down an area based on property taxes? Dallas is a bit higher than Tarrant Co. Another thing to look at would be city services/amenities. Grapevine has a really nice rec center for residents at a reduced rate. Some cities charge exorbitant fees for water, like the one I live in Good to know things like this before you get serious about a house.

It does seem most people aren't in your position when they are moving, so you will need a really sharp experienced agent that is familiar with a big area. I wish I knew one to recommend for you!

Old 06-26-2020, 06:08 PM

1,041 posts, read 1,190,541 times
I will second the recommendation for HEB. If you don't really know exactly what you want, it's a good location.

Old 06-26-2020, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Movingeast View Post
Couldn't have said it better! OP, do you have any other "wants" other than quiet, access to TJ's and shopping? The Mid Cities area, aka HEB which stands for Hurst Euless Bedford might be a good fit for you. I live in Colleyville very near this area (basically across the street) and it takes me about 10 min to get to the Southlake TJ.

I also wonder if you might narrow down an area based on property taxes? Dallas is a bit higher than Tarrant Co. Another thing to look at would be city services/amenities. Grapevine has a really nice rec center for residents at a reduced rate. Some cities charge exorbitant fees for water, like the one I live in Good to know things like this before you get serious about a house.

It does seem most people aren't in your position when they are moving, so you will need a really sharp experienced agent that is familiar with a big area. I wish I knew one to recommend for you!

Those are all good things to know prior to purchase and that's where a good realtor who is knowledgeable of the area would be important.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas