U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2020, 11:16 AM

417 posts, read 235,342 times

Advertisements

Under 300k and it being "crime ridden" or "out in the boonies" is such a snob narrative.

Richardson is literally in the middle of the metroplex, has low crime, and is considered one of the best overall cities in the metroplex and there's still a handful of neighbhorhoods that have houses under 300k (Northrich, Greenwoodhills, Terrace, Arapho Classic, Yale).

Central Plano is also a good one for single person homeowners under 300k. Tarrant County side Euless and Bedford good options

Under 300k being in the ghetto they must be refering to Dallas proper but even then that's snobbish since given your requirements (no schools in play and don't need a ton of space) you could actually afford on that budget a good condo, duplex, or townhouse in Dallas proper (EX: I went for a walk a few nights ago near Jesuit highschool and there was 3 different townhouses under 300k with no HOA fees and that's a very very nice Dallas neighbhorhood)
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2020, 11:22 AM

27 posts, read 9,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
Nick, sounds like you need to get in touch with nsumner.

OP, why don't you just go to Zillow (I know, I know) and search with search filters of single family house and max price 300,000? You'll find hundreds and hundreds. Then ask questions about the areas of interest.

Because I've done that since March. I have a handle on the makeup of each suburb. However, if I'm amenable to multiple areas that span the entire metroplex, I don't want to limit my options just because of realtors. If I have to deal with 5 different realtors, then so be it, but if someone can represent all areas, then that would be ideal. If I am interested in Arlington, HEB, Carrolton, Plano, and open to suggestions as well, then that shouldn't be novel. Not everybody is tied to an employment locale.

Old 06-25-2020, 11:47 AM

Quote:

OP, why don't you just go to Zillow (I know, I know) and search with search filters of single family house and max price 300,000? You'll find hundreds and hundreds. Then ask questions about the areas of interest.

Because I've done that since March. I have a handle on the makeup of each suburb. However, if I'm amenable to multiple areas that span the entire metroplex, I don't want to limit my options just because of realtors. If I have to deal with 5 different realtors, then so be it, but if someone can represent all areas, then that would be ideal. If I am interested in Arlington, HEB, Carrolton, Plano, and open to suggestions as well, then that shouldn't be novel. Not everybody is tied to an employment locale.

Old 06-25-2020, 11:53 AM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastershake575 View Post
Under 300k and it being "crime ridden" or "out in the boonies" is such a snob narrative.

Richardson is literally in the middle of the metroplex, has low crime, and is considered one of the best overall cities in the metroplex and there's still a handful of neighbhorhoods that have houses under 300k (Northrich, Greenwoodhills, Terrace, Arapho Classic, Yale).

Central Plano is also a good one for single person homeowners under 300k. Tarrant County side Euless and Bedford good options

Under 300k being in the ghetto they must be refering to Dallas proper but even then that's snobbish since given your requirements (no schools in play and don't need a ton of space) you could actually afford on that budget a good condo, duplex, or townhouse in Dallas proper (EX: I went for a walk a few nights ago near Jesuit highschool and there was 3 different townhouses under 300k with no HOA fees and that's a very very nice Dallas neighbhorhood)
Thank you! I've seen replies like mentioned for months and wondered what I am missing when the house listing sites suggest otherwise. I'm aware of multiple offers in that price range as in my area I received 5 offers on my home during lockdown, but it's still within a range. I'm also very aware of the foundation issues. However, for everyone to assume that people inquiring about the DFW area are all looking for brand new builds with all modern upgrades at a dirt cheap price suggests their own lack of due diligence.

Old 06-25-2020, 12:48 PM

1,338 posts, read 760,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick20 View Post
Coming this weekend ready to buy. Need a realtor who won't tell me that 300k or less is nearly impossible to find in the entire DFW metroplex without asking me what I'm even looking for. If it's too small potatoes for you, then just tell me so or ignore my inquiry. No, I don't have one particular area I'm interested in. I'm relying on you to tell me based on what you learn from me to guide me to areas you think would fit me best. No, I'm not working around an employer's location. If anyone is out there who can help, please let me know. Thanks!
You have to understand realtors are expert in their field. If you don't narrow down their search by exactly telling them your requirements. They will tell you anything to sell. Before you can provide them your requirement, it is very important for you to do your own research first. Go on realtor.com, trulia, zillow, redfin etc and create filters for the type of properties and areas you are interested in. Narrow down the ISD and gather all that information.

I feel most people just start by picking a realtor and themselves don't know what they want end up blaming the whole experience on the realtor.

This is almost 95% of the people who go looking for realtors.

Old 06-25-2020, 01:03 PM

10,154 posts, read 4,993,394 times
If you see a house you like on a website, why don't you just call the listing agent and ask to see it?

Regardless of what nsumner says, the majority of agents work in specific areas and can only give you general guidance about areas that might be as far as 75 miles away while still being in the DFW metro. If you've looked at a map you ought to realize that the likelihood of someone being familiar with Forney, Euless, southwest Ft. Worth, Jacksboro, Wylie, and Preston Hollow is pretty low.

Old 06-25-2020, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitalprophets View Post
You have to understand realtors are expert in their field. If you don't narrow down their search by exactly telling them your requirements. They will tell you anything to sell. Before you can provide them your requirement, it is very important for you to do your own research first. Go on realtor.com, trulia, zillow, redfin etc and create filters for the type of properties and areas you are interested in. Narrow down the ISD and gather all that information.

I feel most people just start by picking a realtor and themselves don't know what they want end up blaming the whole experience on the realtor.

This is almost 95% of the people who go looking for realtors.
Then I guess I'm the 5%, because as I stated earlier, I have already done all of that since March

Old 06-25-2020, 01:26 PM

Quote:
If you see a house you like on a website, why don't you just call the listing agent and ask to see it?

Regardless of what nsumner says, the majority of agents work in specific areas and can only give you general guidance about areas that might be as far as 75 miles away while still being in the DFW metro. If you've looked at a map you ought to realize that the likelihood of someone being familiar with Forney, Euless, southwest Ft. Worth, Jacksboro, Wylie, and Preston Hollow is pretty low.

Because then I'm dealing with the seller's agent who is not incentivized to look out for my best interest.

Old 06-25-2020, 01:46 PM

409 posts, read 205,909 times
Nick20 - What are your interests? Do you want an urban or suburb feel? Do you want quiet or do you want to be close to nightlife? I know that you are open to all suggestions for the metroplex, but knowing your interests may at least give some people an idea of what areas to focus on first, and then they can recommend a realtor that they may know that specializes in those areas.

Also, I don't understand this snobbish attitude people have about cheaper homes. There are so many homes in your price range that are in safe areas, central to the metroplex and have been renovated. Ignore anyone who tells you otherwise.

Old 06-25-2020, 01:51 PM

1,338 posts, read 760,296 times
Honestly, if you're in search for a new home/new construction. Eliminate the middle man and save yourself a headache. That is what I did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas