U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-25-2020, 01:56 PM
 
10,128 posts, read 4,976,215 times
Reputation: 28173

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick20 View Post
Because then I'm dealing with the seller's agent who is not incentivized to look out for my best interest.
No one's incentivized to look out for your best interest in the RE game except YOU.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-25-2020, 02:00 PM
 
27 posts, read 9,123 times
Reputation: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
No one's incentivized to look out for your best interest in the RE game except YOU.
My buyer's agent here looks out for me and my best interest based on his work ethic, integrity, and maintenance of his reputation. That is what they are hired for. If everyone knew what they needed to do to protect themselves in a real estate transition, then we wouldn't need agents in the first place.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-25-2020, 02:01 PM
 
Location: Fort Worth, TX
2,030 posts, read 1,272,320 times
Reputation: 3001
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitalprophets View Post
Honestly, if you're in search for a new home/new construction. Eliminate the middle man and save yourself a headache. That is what I did.
When we bought a new home we used a realtor. She was able to get concessions and upgrades with the builder we wouldn't have known to ask for. Since she had dealt with the company before, she knew what they were and weren't likely to accept. Many of our neighbors were surprised to learn what we were able to get that they didn't. When we had some issues, she did a great job of going to bat for us.

As for which website to search, I've found www.ebby.com to be much more useful for DFW than Zillow and other, similar websites. Ebby Halliday is a local, well known real estate company so the search engine is designed for the area.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-25-2020, 02:02 PM
 
27 posts, read 9,123 times
Reputation: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by NTXPerson View Post
Nick20 - What are your interests? Do you want an urban or suburb feel? Do you want quiet or do you want to be close to nightlife? I know that you are open to all suggestions for the metroplex, but knowing your interests may at least give some people an idea of what areas to focus on first, and then they can recommend a realtor that they may know that specializes in those areas.

Also, I don't understand this snobbish attitude people have about cheaper homes. There are so many homes in your price range that are in safe areas, central to the metroplex and have been renovated. Ignore anyone who tells you otherwise.
Thank you...I like quiet, but would like to be within a reasonable proximity to things like Trader Joes and shopping.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-25-2020, 02:03 PM
 
27 posts, read 9,123 times
Reputation: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcualum View Post
When we bought a new home we used a realtor. She was able to get concessions and upgrades with the builder we wouldn't have known to ask for. Since she had dealt with the company before, she knew what they were and weren't likely to accept. Many of our neighbors were surprised to learn what we were able to get that they didn't. When we had some issues, she did a great job of going to bat for us.

As for which website to search, I've found www.ebby.com to be much more useful for DFW than Zillow and other, similar websites. Ebby Halliday is a local, well known real estate company so the search engine is designed for the area.
Thank you...I'm checking it out now
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-25-2020, 02:09 PM
 
877 posts, read 712,015 times
Reputation: 1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick20 View Post
My buyer's agent here looks out for me and my best interest based on his work ethic, integrity, and maintenance of his reputation. That is what they are hired for. If everyone knew what they needed to do to protect themselves in a real estate transition, then we wouldn't need agents in the first place.

I thought you were looking for a buyer's agent ? You already have one?


As others have posted, follow the money. Your buyer's agent gets paid when you buy a house, gets paid more when you buy an expensive house, has lower expenses when you buy the first house you look at...


So I do think that they have some integrity, they are only human and they are in the job to make money.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-25-2020, 02:15 PM
 
10,128 posts, read 4,976,215 times
Reputation: 28173
Quote:
Originally Posted by cordata View Post
I thought you were looking for a buyer's agent ? You already have one?


As others have posted, follow the money. Your buyer's agent gets paid when you buy a house, gets paid more when you buy an expensive house, has lower expenses when you buy the first house you look at...


So I do think that they have some integrity, they are only human and they are in the job to make money.
Well, the buyer's agent he's referring to is in his current location. Which begs the question, if you're not in the market for a house (because you're planning to move) why do you have a buyer's agent?


I think maybe he's referring to the "fee type" buyer's agent where they get paid whether or not you buy a house, a flat fee.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-25-2020, 02:40 PM
 
877 posts, read 712,015 times
Reputation: 1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
Well, the buyer's agent he's referring to is in his current location. Which begs the question, if you're not in the market for a house (because you're planning to move) why do you have a buyer's agent?


I think maybe he's referring to the "fee type" buyer's agent where they get paid whether or not you buy a house, a flat fee.

OK, got it.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-25-2020, 03:24 PM
 
243 posts, read 133,227 times
Reputation: 455
Most of us won't argue that there can be nice homes at any price point if you aren't too picky on locale.


Now - not sure if you were using Trader Joes as a euphemism for any grocery store or if you were specific to TJs. If so, there aren't as many of them as there are in other states and all of the Dallas ones that I know of are in fairly expensive areas. https://locations.traderjoes.com/tx/dallas/


Outside of central Dallas, they have two in Southlake and Plano.


Once again, your best bet might be in finding a realtor that specializes in relocations (although many of those align with big companies). All of the realtors that I am friends with specialize in certain areas of Dallas and rarely go outside of their bubbles (unless for a friend who already knows what they are looking for).
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-25-2020, 07:04 PM
 
27 posts, read 9,123 times
Reputation: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by cordata View Post
I thought you were looking for a buyer's agent ? You already have one?


As others have posted, follow the money. Your buyer's agent gets paid when you buy a house, gets paid more when you buy an expensive house, has lower expenses when you buy the first house you look at...


So I do think that they have some integrity, they are only human and they are in the job to make money.
I was looking locally, but have switched states
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:31 PM.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top