Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2020, 06:16 PM

2,511 posts, read 2,212,817 times

Advertisements

Jewish temple or Hindu temple? If Jewish, what kind? The suggested locations will be very different depending on your answer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2020, 06:17 PM

70 posts, read 131,813 times
A few things about the North Dallas suburbs:

1. Jobs are not paying that much cheaper (unless you commute to NYC). The Dallas job market is very competitive and the company I work for (700 employees) tends to pay on the higher end of the scale to keep their employees.

2. Try and find a job first, then look for a community to live permanently. You can rent for a year to get an idea of the layout and commute times. It can take 35 minutes to get from one end of plano to another .... so imagine actually having to transverse the metroplex.

3. Without state income taxes (like NJ) and the lower utilities and possibly property taxes. 375K house in NJ has property taxes of close to 8k. In TX that would be on the high end of 4k. My electric and water bills were cheaper in TX vs. California & Arizona.

4. Laughing at the corporal punishment in schools comment: Wish they would bring that back personally. Our kids these days are marshmallows.

5. You can't throw a dead cat without hitting a massive church or a good restaurant. Plano has a lovely Jewish temple which is not far from Allen or McKinney (15-20 minutes)

I loved living in Texas (recently moved to FL). I felt an incredible state pride not experienced before, the state flag is present everywhere! The folks I met and worked with were kind, religious and fun. There was a delightful blend of republicans and a sprinkle of democrats -- but it wasnt hateful like living in california. I miss TX!

Good luck!

Old 07-01-2020, 07:47 PM

22 posts, read 21,776 times
Default @Mershu

FYI I’m from NJ I have never been to these cities and while they are next to each other they could be very different in feel. For example. I live in a town with one of the best schools in the state, great community programs and sports. But the next town over is known for their terrible sports teams, horrible sense of community and is just not somewhere I would want to live despite the nice houses and good rating of their schools. Every single town is unique. I have googled everything from which school in which district, stores, feel ect but a lot of what you find online is hype. I “spammed” the forum which you don’t own by the way to ensure I choose the right town for my family. If you don’t have anything to say about the town itself just move on. No one asked for your comment.

Old 07-01-2020, 08:06 PM

346 posts, read 308,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texstout View Post
Hi - I agree with much said above. I will say that the areas that you have suggested looking at are upcoming, popular but mostly new far north suburbs. Those areas will be more 'cookie cutter' by nature of being newer Master Planned areas. They are also quite far from the Dallas zoos/museums etc. but will have lots of family friendly activities. They will be quite safe.

That said, if you are looking for proximity to a Temple...I am doubtful there in the Far North suburbs. The Dallas jewish community is quite vibrant, but more centrally located to Dallas proper. (Apologies if I mistake here, but this is based upon my friends.) I'd contact the JCC (https://jccdallas.org/) to get a better idea though.

As for guns, I don't have one and could only guess which of my friends/neighbors do. The closer you get to Dallas proper - you will see it votes Blue. Of course, the outer suburbs are more commonly Red.

I've lived off and on in Texas most of my adult life and attended school in Texas. I have NEVER heard or seen of corporal punishment being used. I would be shocked of it.

Depending upon the area, North Texas is FULL of transplants. With the economy booming and companies transitioning to Dallas, your just as likely to have neighbors from California, the East Coast, India, et...as 'native' Texans.

BUT, do people tend to isolate themselves? I would put a lot on the fact thei just might. I dont like this compartmentalization where all groups even new people gotta segregate. the CA people stick with the CA people, the East Coast sticks with the East Coast. And I did hear DFW was more segregated than H Town. The deals off if this I know is how it will be in DFW. I just dont wanna move to find it will be the same as what I want to leave now. I like multiculturalism integrated. If N Texas is like this, then it will be just like a lot of other spots where loads of transplants come but act snobbish and to themselves. No thanks. I can just see it in Addison now come to think of it or in Plano, McKinn.. I wanted Garland when I was considering the area but now I dont think i'll go to ani of it.

Old 07-01-2020, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpushiys View Post
This will help:
https://www.ohrhatorahdallas.org/eruv

Generally yes. Political leanings seem to be becoming more important than I ever remember them. I am seeing more hate on Next-door than I believed existed. As long as u keep ur beliefs to yourself you should be fine.

what nonsense ! where did u hear this ?

Reading this forum should tell u that DFW is full of transplants and the person u run into is almost as likely to be a transplant as not. Also - The urban Dallasite is very similar to the generic urban American. Midwest transplant here - attesting to the fact that we saw little cultural difference. Some for the better and some not so much but really overall it wasn't like moving to Japan or something....

If possible, please visit. Nothing else can put your mind at ease.

I might now consider the midwest for the lower COL and the fact its getting less and less crowded or was to begin with. I got Indiana on the list. I decided I'd cross off DFW unless a miracle happens at this point. I got Nebraska on the list also now. I just dont get good feelings about going to DFW after some stuff I seen and incomes seem to be rising, nothings dropping, even after Covid too it might not.

Old 07-01-2020, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman1 View Post
I like Dallas very much. Even people there in high society are secure enough to have one pickup truck in their famlies.

But don't think that there aren't many other cities between Dallas and New Jersey that cannot give your family exactly what you're looking for--at far less cost of housing and less property taxes.

I might also be finding that too. I also had Bama on mi list as well believe it or not as I am looking for lower COL but think im gonna do the midwest now tbh. Its easier to get to from here as well and if I gotta take cold weather, I will. Dallas seems to be getting a lot of these fli bi nighter kinds of people that I dont see the places having that I wanna go to. Its almost becoming like Florida just with less ideniti theft kinda stuff. I just want a solid place and realized DFW might not be it now.

Old 07-01-2020, 08:16 PM

1,530 posts, read 1,410,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biafra4life View Post
Only quibble I have with your answer is the housing budget.
$400K for a 3,000 square foot NEW CONSTRUCTION home in any of the "hot" suburbs might be difficult (Plano, Frisco, Allen, McKinney, Coppell, Southlake, Flower Mound, Prosper etc). Now if the OP is willing to go with pre owned homes then it will be easier.

If new construction is the goal, then I would say he/she needs to be looking in places like Wylie, Sachse, Rowlett, Little Elm. Maybe Melissa and Anna but that would depend greatly on job location.
I agree with all you said. As for the hot suburbs mentioned above. I'd raise that figure to $500k+ starting for new construct. $400k may have been true couple of years back. Price may even be more different by the time OP moves

Old 07-01-2020, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carebear621 View Post
Dallas
Family nearby
Better job for hubby
More our vibe
Only temp jobs for me

Houston
My dream job

This is so hard. Dallas seems like the clear choice but finding a job might be challenging since it seems like the job opportunities for me are more based around the Houston Area.

The only other thing about Dallas is my husband is a huge NY giants fan were from NJ. The cowboys are the biggest rivals

I was looking at the DFW area, in the NW now but am a Boston area native and it might not be u but most people from NJ I met were major nozzles. I thought the ones I met thought too high of themselves. I went to Palasades before too. Went to a rest stop. it was icki. And Oregon like NJ I know does have a cant pump ur own gas law. I like to know I have a full serve Or self serve if I want it.

Old 07-02-2020, 07:17 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,313,278 times
You need to find a job first.

If you end up working off Singleton Blvd in West Dallas, or in Grand Prairie, the commute to/from Allen would be soul-crushing. If you end up working at Central Expwy and Belt Line, it'd be a piece of cake.

Old 07-02-2020, 08:00 AM

22 posts, read 21,776 times
Default thank you

this is very helpful. I was looking for towns best suited for what we can afford in housing, environment, schools ect but I keep forgetting Dallas is huge and I can't just assume it'll be an easy commute from where I chose. I will look for a job first and then continue my search. Thank you for the input.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas