Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2020, 12:49 PM

99 posts, read 151,449 times

Advertisements

When you apply for pre-k at private schools, there is a form to be filled out by your child's preschool teacher. Feeder preschools know the questions asked on these forms and that *may* give a child an advantage.

We really liked Northaven Co-op Preschool. Much more afforadable and was perfect for our needs. When we took a tour we just felt it was right for our daughter. It doesn't usually get mentioned as a feeder preschool, but they are very familair with the private school admission procees. We would have been happy keeping her at Northaven had she not been accepted to our top choice private school.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2020, 04:47 PM

516 posts, read 450,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Design_Dist View Post
When you apply for pre-k at private schools, there is a form to be filled out by your child's preschool teacher. Feeder preschools know the questions asked on these forms and that *may* give a child an advantage.

We really liked Northaven Co-op Preschool. Much more afforadable and was perfect for our needs. When we took a tour we just felt it was right for our daughter. It doesn't usually get mentioned as a feeder preschool, but they are very familair with the private school admission procees. We would have been happy keeping her at Northaven had she not been accepted to our top choice private school.
I’m glad to hear Northaven is still doing well. I was a student there 25 years ago. I understand that Ms. Kathy is still running the program? She was there when I was a kid, which I find impressive!

Old 07-24-2020, 04:57 PM

31 posts, read 73,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbsb View Post
This is great advice. Pick the school that is right for your kiddo and family right now. We had one of our children at a church preschool/daycare where 90% went on to HPISD and another at a "feeder school".

We loved both of them for different reasons. I will say that the feeder school helped us navigate the application process a bit, but not enough to choose it over another school that could possibly either be more convenient or had another aspect that would be considered a positive to your family.
Thanks for sharing your experiences, I keep trying to remind myself that I cannot possibly be setting our kids' paths in stone with our selection for preschool, especially because we try to engage them so much at home. Oh, how far I have come from thinking preschool was unnecessary!

Still though, if this isn't too intrusive, I'd like to ask in regard to the second feeder school helping you navigate the application process somewhat: was that something like giving guidance on what next school would be a good fit for your child, or them knowing how to write (truthful) recommendations that matched what the targeted schools were looking for?

Old 07-24-2020, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Design_Dist View Post

Thank you for sharing that, I had wondered if that was one of the small "hidden advantages" to those preschools. I have heard many great things about the Co-op, and it's good to know that schools outside "the feeders" can be familiar with the admission process moving on to the selective private schools - it may be something to ask the directors at the other preschools we are considering (if I can work up the courage to sound slightly obnoxious).

Old 07-24-2020, 06:39 PM

1,429 posts, read 1,776,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abeamishday View Post
Thank you for sharing that, I had wondered if that was one of the small "hidden advantages" to those preschools. I have heard many great things about the Co-op, and it's good to know that schools outside "the feeders" can be familiar with the admission process moving on to the selective private schools - it may be something to ask the directors at the other preschools we are considering (if I can work up the courage to sound slightly obnoxious).
It’s definitely not obnoxious to ask questions like that - don’t let yourself feel that it is! Asking something more like “where do kids go after they leave” is completely fair game and won’t sound obnoxious. We sent our kids to a smaller private Montessori that we absolutely loved, through elementary. And while it’s atypical for kids to leave that school for the highly selective private schools in town (for a host of reasons unrelated to whether the kids could be accepted), most kids end up at Travis or Dealey rather than their local DISD neighborhood school. Be sure to keep an ear out for data points like that because it means the school knows how to prepare kids to succeed on the entrance exam and the teachers know how to write recommendations.

Old 07-25-2020, 03:02 PM

99 posts, read 151,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NTXPerson View Post
I’m glad to hear Northaven is still doing well. I was a student there 25 years ago. I understand that Ms. Kathy is still running the program? She was there when I was a kid, which I find impressive!
Kathy is still there along with Ms. Suzanne who has been there for 25+ years also!

I was so impressed by them. One example - they've noticed that small children are now missing some of the fine motor skills they should have at preschool age because of the use of touchscreen phones and tablets. They worked with the children to improve their skills in ways that were fun and interesting.

Old 07-25-2020, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by numbersguy100 View Post
It’s definitely not obnoxious to ask questions like that - don’t let yourself feel that it is! Asking something more like “where do kids go after they leave” is completely fair game and won’t sound obnoxious. We sent our kids to a smaller private Montessori that we absolutely loved, through elementary. And while it’s atypical for kids to leave that school for the highly selective private schools in town (for a host of reasons unrelated to whether the kids could be accepted), most kids end up at Travis or Dealey rather than their local DISD neighborhood school. Be sure to keep an ear out for data points like that because it means the school knows how to prepare kids to succeed on the entrance exam and the teachers know how to write recommendations.
You're right, of course. And framing it the way you suggested collects more useful information than my tunnel-vision/less tactful "are you familiar with the application process at xyz private schools?".

I feel a bit lost at sea in making preschool decisions because to justify preschool for our family (since we don't need daytime childcare) I have focused on "well, which preschool provides them something I can't?" and the notion of 'improving odds of admission at xyz private' muddies the waters further.

Old 07-28-2020, 07:28 AM

554 posts, read 683,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abeamishday View Post
You're right, of course. And framing it the way you suggested collects more useful information than my tunnel-vision/less tactful "are you familiar with the application process at xyz private schools?".

I feel a bit lost at sea in making preschool decisions because to justify preschool for our family (since we don't need daytime childcare) I have focused on "well, which preschool provides them something I can't?" and the notion of 'improving odds of admission at xyz private' muddies the waters further.
Just as an alternative perspective, there is a way in which attending a feeder school can actually work against you, especially in years when many/most of the other kids are also applying. Traditionally, the so called elite privates want diversity in their incoming classes and that includes prior schooling. Coming from a non-feeder is another way to stand out, but so is coming from no prior school at all. One of my older son's best friends had a full time nanny until applying to the elite privates - he's probably one of the smartest kids in the class. His parents used an extracurricular teacher to write the rec letter.

All this to say, don't feel pressured to set things in motion now because at this stage, there are many ways to gain entrance into the privates. None of them are guaranteed and while I'm sure the feeders have connections and know how to play the game at the top schools, your kid still has to pass the mustard on the CATS test and in the in-person interview, so they can only help so much. Coupled with the fact that we are in a global pandemic and virtually no one is doing in-person school, you might save your money on preschool if you don't really need it and put it towards the ever increasing tuition at the top privates should you gain admittance.

Old 07-28-2020, 07:30 PM

1,429 posts, read 1,776,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterdragon8212 View Post
Just as an alternative perspective, there is a way in which attending a feeder school can actually work against you, especially in years when many/most of the other kids are also applying. Traditionally, the so called elite privates want diversity in their incoming classes and that includes prior schooling. Coming from a non-feeder is another way to stand out, but so is coming from no prior school at all. One of my older son's best friends had a full time nanny until applying to the elite privates - he's probably one of the smartest kids in the class. His parents used an extracurricular teacher to write the rec letter.

All this to say, don't feel pressured to set things in motion now because at this stage, there are many ways to gain entrance into the privates. None of them are guaranteed and while I'm sure the feeders have connections and know how to play the game at the top schools, your kid still has to pass the mustard on the CATS test and in the in-person interview, so they can only help so much. Coupled with the fact that we are in a global pandemic and virtually no one is doing in-person school, you might save your money on preschool if you don't really need it and put it towards the ever increasing tuition at the top privates should you gain admittance.
I agree with this to some extent, I just assumed OP wanted preschool for reasons of socialization and the like. But the selective private schools all tend to like (as a general rule) more outgoing children who quickly and easily separate from their parents and play well with kids they don’t know. This is especially true for the preK/early elementary admits. Some kids will be capable of doing this without the experience of going to a preschool or other school environment before applying. Some might not. Know your kid and go into the private school admissions process self-aware of your kid’s strengths and weaknesses (as it relates to applying to a private school, even if the weaknesses are not objective weaknesses).

Old 07-29-2020, 04:15 PM

I do consider socialization to be a significant benefit of attending preschool. Once upon a time we did lots of activities/social groups, but parents were always present. One of our little ones has a harder time with separations than the other, which doesn't concern me as it's still developmentally normal. Because they've had no outside-the-house socializing in ages (and may not for some time), I haven't had the opportunity to judge if there has been progression on that front.

As for specific preschools, I have to assume that all reputable ones are comparable when it comes to socialization? Maybe a few slight differences here and there (diversity, approach to discipline, etc.), but I would think most schools encourage their students to be courteous and empathetic, to participate, to learn self-control/cooperation, and other basic social skills appropriate for the age group.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: