Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2008, 08:57 PM

136 posts, read 460,896 times

Advertisements

Is Dallas a good place for a single college educated 23 year old male? If I was to move down there my salary would be about 40K to start. Is that enough to live comfortably? Also, how is the singles scene? Are there neighborhoods with local bars, clubs, cofee shops, shops and a sense of community? (I am open to urban or suburban location). Are their a lot of professionals/students moving to the metroplex in the 20 to 30 year old range? Are people friendly? Is the scene centralized or spread out all over the place? Keep in mind that I have lived in Denver and currently live in Atlanta and have enjoyed the vibe in both these cities, can anybody familiar with these areas comment on DFW in terms of similarities/differences? Can anyone name some neighborhoods to look into? Also, is Dallas too conservative? I'm politically moderate myself, but prefer to live in areas with progressive open minded viewoints and ideas (I know this is north Texas but am I barking up the wrong tree?). Im really looking for a cultural, progressive, vibrant city. Is Dallas the place, or would I be better off moving to Austin?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2008, 09:16 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,465,801 times
Uptown and West Village, just north of downtown Dallas. Lots of apartments, bars and pubs with outside seating, restaurants, people walking around, a free trolly you can ride, lots of young singles.

Old 04-29-2008, 09:33 PM

625 posts, read 1,956,661 times
if you're going to be making 40k, in uptown you'll make ends meet (but barely), you're priced out of West Village, but you can live comfortably in the Village apartments. loads of singles there. Addison is also another option (more suburban, but loads of bars and restaurants).

Still, nothing will compare to Austin. If you have two equal job offers career-wise, go to Austin (esp. if you consider yourself fairly liberal)

Old 04-30-2008, 08:33 AM

2,231 posts, read 6,068,474 times
As far as cultural opportunities, Dallas, with 6 million people in the metro, obliterates Austin, with a little over a million. Sports, pretty much the same, with several major league sports represented. Austin is not a major league town.

Ideologically, Austin has the moderate left wing politics of a university city and state capital. Dallas is somewhat less ideological, and more in tune to the politics of those who have receded from a youthful rebellion and now have practical realities to attend to.

In demographics, Dallas has several times as many people in the 25-35 age range as Austin, simply because it is 4 times as populous. Ethnically, Dallas is more diverse. It's the sort of metro with a 24 hour FM station in Hindi and other South Asian languages. It has a couple of clusters of South Asian residential and commercial, a Koreatown, A Chinatown or two, and virtually every Latin American community.

Walkable urban neighborhoods and mass transit? Dallas has it all, although Austin is starting a suburban train service soon. Dallas, on the other hand, already has 45 miles of light rail, and has another 45 miles under construction. The light rail stations have several urban villages already, and more are being constructed. In addition, Dallas has several other urban pedestrian neighborhoods, places such as West Village, State-Thomas, LoMac, Knox-Henderson, Victory, Preston Center, and of course downtown, along main street. Dallas also has urban enclaves in the suburbs, such as Addison Circle, Legacy, and some others. Austin's pedestrian areas are mainly a short strip between its downtown and the Town Lake, and the area around the university.

Career opportunities? Obviously, Dallas has a larger economy. If your career focus is state government, then Austin is probably a better career fit. Certain kinds of high tech semiconductor... Austin specializes in that. Otherwise, Dallas is the place.

Scenery and terrain? Austin has a nice town lake in the center, and is on the edge of the scenic Hill Country. Dallas scenery is less dramatic, but does have an occasional range of hills in the southwest county. West of the DFW area, the terrain is very scenic and hilly due to a northward extension of the Central Texas hills. Both Dallas and Austin have large, scenic lakes and several state parks nearby, typically in scenic locations.

Last edited by aceplace; 04-30-2008 at 09:22 AM..

Old 04-30-2008, 09:45 AM

78 posts, read 297,093 times
Look into the Camden Farmers Market apartments. They're across the street from farmers market in downtown. This is probably one of the cheaper places to live in the area. On 40k you could definitely afford to live there in one of the smaller apartments. As far as being 23 in Dallas...I'm 23. I have lots of friends and there is plenty of night life. I like art and Indie rock. If your into those things message me and I can help you out with that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: