Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2020, 07:29 AM

263 posts, read 410,672 times

Advertisements

Anybody here with significant experience (1-2 years or more) using reverse osmosis water as their only source of drinking and cooking water? I am looking at installing one but finding some negatives to RO water online (apparently completely depletes useful minerals, is acidic, potential long term health issues?).

Have also read counter-arguments but checking to see if anybody here has practical experience using this and noticed anything different? With a lot of online info, it is hard to know which is motivated info from competitors vs what is real.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2020, 08:07 AM

19,776 posts, read 18,060,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingtoDFW View Post
Anybody here with significant experience (1-2 years or more) using reverse osmosis water as their only source of drinking and cooking water? I am looking at installing one but finding some negatives to RO water online (apparently completely depletes useful minerals, is acidic, potential long term health issues?).

Have also read counter-arguments but checking to see if anybody here has practical experience using this and noticed anything different? With a lot of online info, it is hard to know which is motivated info from competitors vs what is real.
We have slightly hard water at our lake house and considered RO there. We passed for several reasons. Chiefly, the wasted water would have been a negative for our aerobic septic system. Further, RO'd water tastes flat and dead to me...the fam. agreed so we passed.

For sure ROing water makes it more acidic as it strip minerals.

Old 07-29-2020, 08:25 AM

4,511 posts, read 5,049,454 times
You do know that you can opt to have RO water just for drinking don't you ? I have hard water for outside watering, softened water for laundry, cooking, etc. and RO water for drinking. And, you can add a filter that will add some minerals back into the RO water.

I use an 'under the sink' system from APEC water and find it works really well. They have several different systems to chose from and even email you when it's time to change the filters. Check out their site.

Old 07-29-2020, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodpete View Post
You do know that you can opt to have RO water just for drinking don't you ? I have hard water for outside watering, softened water for laundry, cooking, etc. and RO water for drinking. And, you can add a filter that will add some minerals back into the RO water.

I use an 'under the sink' system from APEC water and find it works really well. They have several different systems to chose from and even email you when it's time to change the filters. Check out their site.
How long have you used this RO system for? I am also considering this just for drinking/cooking.
Seems you haven't noticed any issues since starting this...which is good to know

Old 07-29-2020, 09:07 AM

4,511 posts, read 5,049,454 times
It's been just over a year. It takes a little getting use to the taste but we tend to drink more water now. We keep a gallon milk carton in the fridge so we always have cold water.

Check out APEC they are very easy to deal with and installing one of their systems is simple. Good luck !

Old 07-30-2020, 12:27 PM

533 posts, read 642,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingtoDFW View Post

I have been using an RO filter for the past 6 years for drinking and cooking and wouldn't have it any other way. I researched a lot at the time and decided that RO is indeed the best option - both taste wise and quality wise. Distilled water is more pure but it is a pain to do it at home.

We love the taste of our filtered water. We know that it is time to change the filters when the taste starts changing. You get filters that add the minerals back if that is important to you. As pointed out earlier, it does waste water but I haven't noticed any major change to my water bill since I got it installed.

I would HIGHLY recommend getting one. Get a well rated one from Amazon and get a plumber to hook it in.

Old 07-30-2020, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fwsavemoney View Post
I have been using an RO filter for the past 6 years for drinking and cooking and wouldn't have it any other way. I researched a lot at the time and decided that RO is indeed the best option - both taste wise and quality wise. Distilled water is more pure but it is a pain to do it at home.

We love the taste of our filtered water. We know that it is time to change the filters when the taste starts changing. You get filters that add the minerals back if that is important to you. As pointed out earlier, it does waste water but I haven't noticed any major change to my water bill since I got it installed.

I would HIGHLY recommend getting one. Get a well rated one from Amazon and get a plumber to hook it in.
Thanks for the post...helps ease our decision making!

Old 07-31-2020, 05:55 AM

1,206 posts, read 1,534,259 times
When we lived in Aledo and had well water we had a softener installed for the entire house and a faucet RO from Costco installed in the kitchen. It was easy to buy the filters from Costco, and I loved the way the water tasted (that sounds so silly to say).

Old 07-31-2020, 12:24 PM

5,264 posts, read 6,400,208 times
My inlaws have had one and used it for drinking/cooking for like 7-8 years. It's a giant waste of water (especially if you have a source of filtered water like your refrigerator), but they seem to like it.

They don't drink much water though, mostly diet coke, so if you are doing it to drink more water, then be careful. Their tap water tastes horrible, so I do drink it there too.

Old 07-31-2020, 12:39 PM

19,776 posts, read 18,060,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOverdog View Post
My inlaws have had one and used it for drinking/cooking for like 7-8 years. It's a giant waste of water (especially if you have a source of filtered water like your refrigerator), but they seem to like it.

They don't drink much water though, mostly diet coke, so if you are doing it to drink more water, then be careful. Their tap water tastes horrible, so I do drink it there too.
The RO taste angle is interesting. I really dislike the taste and it's poor for coffee and worse for espresso. Oddly, while my wife didn't dislike RO'd water she didn't like RO'd coffee at all.

At our lake house the aerobic septic simply couldn't deal with the waste water without upsizing by replacing the entire system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas